PDA

View Full Version : Dyna Bore Coat

jcameron996
06-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Has anyone here used Dyna Bore Coat? I read about the product in a magazine article today and am just starting to do some research into the product. Sounds like it might be a good deal for the handguns I shoot cast in as well as the varmint rifles I feed j-words.
Thanks
JC

BeeMan
06-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Dyna Bore Coat seems to work at reducing jacket fouling. Don't make a judgement on how well it works for the first or second time the barrel is cleaned after treatment. It's like it requires burnishing in for a couple foul and clean cycles.

DBC definitely reduced fouling and clean up time on a couple of less than pristine bores. One suffered some light rust several years ago and fouled horribly afterwards. It was still accurate so I decided to try DBC before just getting another barrel. It worked.

I also treated a couple new factory bores. Both clean right up with only a couple patches of copper solvent and almost no color. They might have been okay without DBC, but it is hard to argue with virtually no fouling and quick clean up.

I only have one data point with cast. I had real trouble with one handgun. Anything cast would lead badly in as little as 25 rounds. Eventually I cleaned to bare metal for the umpteenth time, used DBC, and cured it by firing some jacketed loads. After a couple more cast load variants I started getting minimal leading. The little leading that occurs now pushes out with a couple couple wet patches and a few strokes with a brass wool wrapped brush. This is much better than anything before.

I'm sold on the stuff.

BeeMan

One more thought. I can quickly clean after shooting jacketed and then shoot cast without wondering whether all the copper is out.

CPL Lou
06-24-2013, 08:43 AM
I purchased a used 1895 CB that had a badly neglected bore. So bad in fact that it took me 6 hours using everything from Shooters Choice, Barnes CR-10 and JB Bore Paste with Kroil to finally get it clean.
The bore, at one point during all this cleaning, looked like it had been copper plated, it was that bad.
I fire lapped it using Tubb's Bore Lapping kit, all 50 bullets worth and then made sure the bore was perfectly clean. Fired 10 rounds of factory 300 grain ammo and the bore was badly fouled again!
So, I cleaned it back down to the bare metal and used a Dyna Bore Coat kit to treat it.
Fired 15 rounds of factory ammo to cure it. Still had a little more fouling then I felt was acceptable so I used Barnes CR-10 to get it clean again, then repeated the Bore Coat treatment 1 more time.
Went to the range and fired a total of 45 rounds, a mix of factory and handloads, to cure it.
BINGO! Bore cleaned up using a nylon bore brush with Shooters Choice bore cleaner, 20 back and forth strokes and a 10 minute wait. 2 wet patches and all the fouling was gone!!
Accuracy went from dismal to 1.5" (average) at 100 yards. Some groups were as small as .5".
I won't say it will make your groups shrink, I will say it will help smooth out a rough bore.

CPL Lou