PDA

View Full Version : First 45-45-10 Batch Is In The Bottle

Foto Joe
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
The wife and I went out to test fire a hundred rounds of the 452's I just cast and lubed with LLA. I think I might have over done it a bit on the lube as after about 60 rounds through a 1911 I started getting a couple of fail to feeds that wouldn't quite go into battery. I was getting a pretty decent build up on the feed ramp on the frame. On the way home we stopped at Ace and I picked up a can of JPW then cooked up my first batch of 45-45-10 when we got home. There's about a hundred 452's now sitting on my bench drying after a quick tumble in a peanut jar. We'll see how the new concoction works.

I also need to get on the computer and order a couple more molds, I really can't justify throwing 228gr bullets downrange now that I'm a lead scavenger. Has anybody got any experience with the Lee 452 160gr in a 1911? I really want to stay with Lee molds or I'll have to get another job to pay for this problem I've developed.

runfiverun
06-23-2013, 06:18 PM
you trade lead for powder with the 160's.

turtlezx
06-23-2013, 06:34 PM
i lovem
there faster fps
lower recoil
and use less lead
bump up the powder 1 grain and cycle nice

Foto Joe
06-23-2013, 08:05 PM
you trade lead for powder with the 160's.

Ah, but the beauty of that is even though powder is hard to come by there are still many choices out there, it may not be your first choice but it's there. Usually I load 45acp with TrailBoss and it works good for plinking. This morning the loads that I took out were Universal Clays 5.3gr simply because my TrailBoss supply is limited and I prefer it for 38 Special over the Universal. I will say that 100 rounds with 5.3gr Universal Clays got the attention of my shooting hand, they've got a little bark to 'em. That's one of the reasons I'd like to get the 160gr mold, that and I'm liking the idea of having different boolits at hand rather than when I'd have to go buy them. My other reason for the 160gr is for 45 Colt both in smokeless and Black Powder.

Off to Natchez to place an order....

runfiverun
06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
not sayin they don't work because they work just fine.
in the 45 colt the first time someone pops off a 160 rnfp with 5 grs of clays they will turn the gun around and look down the barrel..
that is my grouse load when i'm deer hunting b.t.w.
in the 45 acp i'd start with 6 grs of the universal and come up as needed.

Maximumbob54
06-24-2013, 03:08 PM
You can also buy 45/45/10 from White Label Lube if you don't want to have to cook and mix.

Foto Joe
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Luckily my wife has a sense of humor. She was browning hamburger on one side while I cooked JPW on the other (it's a 40" range). I was polite though and took the skillet out to the shop to pour the mineral spirits.

Remind me to wash that skillet REAL good before she uses it!! She loves me more than I irritate her, most of the time.

jmort
06-24-2013, 03:29 PM
"You can also buy 45/45/10 from White Label Lube if you don't want to have to cook and mix."

For the cost of a quart, I am more than happy to have site sponsor do it for me. Very happy with the quality.