PDA

View Full Version : Lee molds

Frank46
08-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Greetings ya'll. Maybe I'm the only one who has this problem but here it goes.
I have two lee molds for their 303 caliber boolit. Think its a 180grainer. I managed to actually cut a rut into the right side mold block with the sprueplate. The mold has not been tuned. Since at the time they were cheaper I got another one. Same thing happened. Ok now this is getting serious. Removed sprue plate and stoned it. Had high spot where the hole was drilled. That was fixed. But the mold itself was not flat where the cavity is. Instead it has a small rise like a hill. Just for the heck of it I took mold #1
which was already buggered up and stoned the top of the mold. Ended up with a space of about a dime on the top of the mold where metal had been removed. Same thing with mold #2. Just wondering if anyone else came across the same thing. Alos the .329 version of their 8mm mold has the same hill. Frank

Buckshot
08-15-2005, 07:06 AM
............Frank, you're talking like a raised area around the cavity? Yup, seen that before. I think it has to do with how they have their program set up on the machine for that run. Aluminum is soft and if they hit it aggressively with their tool when boring the majority of the metal out, it may be raising the metal around the perimeter of the hole.

Ditto going in with the tool to cut the GC shank. It may push a bit of the metal out of the way before it begins to cut. Just my theory.

...............Buckshot

Frank46
08-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Buckshot, sounds like a winner to me. The metal has to go some where and in this case it builds up around the gc cut in the mold. Thanks, Frank