PDA

View Full Version : NRA Pistol Nationals, Camp Perry, anyone going?

mtnman31
06-22-2013, 11:55 PM
This is my first year going to Camp Perry for the pistol nationals. If anyone else is going and would like to meet up with a fellow site member/caster, drop me a PM and we'll see what we can work out. I won't be hard to find...

I'll be shooting a number of matches and am pretty excited at the prospect of my first trip to the big one.

cattleskinner
06-23-2013, 12:02 AM
I doubt I will shoot any pistol stuff, but am thinking of trying out the rimfire sporter match this year.

Moonman
06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I'll go watch a day, visit CMP and Manufacturers Row.

Watch the lake a little, get some GREAT FISH to eat around Port Clinton.

It's just a beautiful couple hour drive for me.

Echo
06-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I went in '05, figuring I ought to go before I got too Old & Ugly. Waited too long - shot the sorriest score EVER! Last time there I shot 2622 - this time I don't think I broke 2300. Hints:
1. Take foul-weather gear - one never knows, and there are NO roofs or wind-breaks on the line! And it takes REALLY BAD weather to cancel the match!
2. Take a hand truck to haul your gear. No telling how far away you will park, and even if you park as close as possible, there is still a good walk to the firing line. Then there is the walk up to the 25-yard line, and the walk back to the 50-yard line. A truck will make it easier.
3. Be prepared to shop at the CMP store. Good buys...

Johnch
06-23-2013, 01:17 PM
I will not be shooting
But as I only live 20 min away
I go and watch / shop a number of times

John

wv109323
06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
I would advise you visit some of the web sites for Bullseye pistol shooting and get the checklist of things to take with you. Could save you a lot of $ preparing ahead.
Also realize that there will be vendor after vendor on commercial row. They will have anything and everything related to competitive shooting. Their prices beat the local prices so untold people buy .22LR ammo, powder, primers in yearly amounts. Budget high and then plan to exceed your budget by three times.
Prepare yourself for shooting in the wind, under no canopy and various times of the day (different light conditions). Take wearing apparel for hurricanes (standing in 4 inches of water to shoot) to absolute heat conditions (105*F).
If you are staying on base in the huts take a 120V air conditioner (5000 BTU or better yet a 7500) and a box fan. Also take one of the small refrigerators to keep water and soda cold.
After all it is Perry. Agh... expect your scores to be much lower than your average.
I am not going this year.
Also that area has excellent fishing, (Lake Erie) a lot of good restaurants. I agree that you should get in a group of people to go out on the town after shooting all day.

Moonman
06-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Conditions coming off Lake Erie can make a real Man or Woman of you.

The Heat and Sun will apply pressure to you,

along with Breezes or WIND and maybe 400 others shooing at the same time.

A storm moving from the lake can cause issues too.

Johnch
06-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Yep Lake Erie
I sometimes hunt geese right past the dike
And lots of walleye
But if they are shooting at Perry , we sometimes can't fish where we want to LOL

John

Firebricker
06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Won't be shooting but might check it out depends on work. Been perch fishing up there a lot lately. FB

mtnman31
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm definitely bringing some $$$ to go shopping with - err, I mean money to invest. I already know that I'm going to be like a woman on a shopping spree.