PDA

View Full Version : Are you a lead zombie, too?

bangerjim
06-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Well, the morning started off to cast about 150 38 slugs. Fired up the Lee 4-20 and filled 'er up (with an inch to spare at the top) with the correct "witch's brew" of bnh mix, and started casting using on the eight 6 cav molds I have. Figured I would just leave the extra in there for next time.

Well before I knew it, the pot was dry and I had over 500 of the little dudes! Almost like a hypnotic zombie trance had set in! pore...dump...pore.....dump......etc.

Do you guys have the same problem?????

I have six 2 cav molds in the mail to me right now and I hope that will slow me down?

NAAAAAAAAAAAAA.........!

"This hobby that was going to save me hundreds.....is now costing me thousands!"

bangerjim :guntootsmiley: a "lead-blooded" American

dbosman
06-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Once I've got a good rythum going, I like to make a pile.

Nickle
06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't save money, probably pay a little more. I do get to shoot a lot more for the same money though.

SlowSmokeN
06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
If I am going to to get the pot going I am going to fill it and drain it pretty low or it ain't worth the time. The funny part is with a 6 banger it don't take much time at all before you have a beautiful looking pile.

beppe
06-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I do just the same almost boobs evenings, work all day in the restaurant, then in the evening when I get home, the first thing I do is turn on the lee 4-20 and then I dress for the casting.and I do not stop until the pot is empty.

:lovebooli

io faccio la stesa cosa quasi tette le sere ,lavoro tutto il giorno nel ristorante ,poi la sera quando arrivo a casa ,la prima cosa che faccio è accendere il 4-20 lee e poi mi vesto per la fusione.e non mi fermo fino a che il crogiolo è vuoto.

OnceFired
06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Definitely a zombie here. I have done two sessions so far (relatively recent zombie conversion) but I've managed to crank out about 1,100+ each time. It's certainly addicting.

RobS
06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
When I started to cast I didn't even know of the old site that this one turned into but man I wished I would have............I would have been totally addicted at a much sooner pace. :)

nagantguy
06-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Yep started to cast a few "test" loads next thing I know I have a gallon pal full. Hope they work like I want them to.

MaryB
06-23-2013, 01:48 AM
my last session was 24 1 pound ingots, and 860 120 grain .356 for my 9mm. Ended up trading the bullets for more lead... so now I need to cast again :grin:

mrblue
06-23-2013, 01:49 AM
I do just the same almost boobs evenings, work all day in the restaurant, then in the evening when I get home, the first thing I do is turn on the lee 4-20 and then I dress for the casting.and I do not stop until the pot casa ,la prima cosa che faccio è accendere il 4-20 lee e poi mi vesto per la fusione.e non mi fermo fino a che il crogiolo è vuoto.
almost boobs evenings? Am i missing something or is my mind in the gutter on this one?

45 Shooter
06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I seem to get "lost" while i'm casting. I pay close attention to everything i'm doing and no attention to anything going on around me, it's very theraputic and reduces my blood pressure. Before I know it there's 500+ beautiful boolits laying there.

alfloyd
06-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Things get messed up during transalation to the English language.

Lafaun

ku4hx
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
By the time my back gets tired, I've generally gone through about 22-25 pounds of alloy. The number of boolits is a function of caliber: more 9mm; fewer 45 and so forth.

mrblue
06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
I had this feeling today, I was casting right along, and dropping into a pail of water and one point I opened my mold right back over my pot, and then yup, I dropped a boolit right back into the pot... GGGRRRRR:o

fredj338
06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
No. I like casting because it is like therapy, making something out of nothing & not having to think a whole lot about it. I add metal constantly while casting. It gives the mold a little cooling time if needed & adding 2-3# at a time doesn't lower the casting temp of a 20# pot.
FWIW, I NEVER drain a casting pot, just keep filling it. If I want to change alloys, I may run it down to the last 2# but never empty it. Your bullets won't know the diff & you don't get crud in the pour spout.

Shiloh
06-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Then I have to "make brass" by shooting so I have cases to load.

Shiloh

Tx reloader72
06-24-2013, 04:49 PM
"This hobby that was going to save me hundreds.....is now costing me thousands!"

Amen brother. It sure is a fun way to spend the money.:lovebooli

Shiloh
06-24-2013, 07:38 PM

Amen brother. It sure is a fun way to spend the money.:lovebooli

But look at the shooting you get for your money. ;-)

Shiloh