PDA

View Full Version : To slug or not to slug, that is the question!!!!!!

1Shirt
06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I have been shooting cast for over 50 years now, and have yet to slug a bbl. Probably seem like some kind of nut being a cast shooter who has never slugged a bbl, but I am kind of old school, and don't like fixing what works for me. Nothing against them who do believe in slugging the bbl, but it is a "to each his own proposition", I think.

What I do, when I get a new weapon (or new to me weapon) in most cases, is to load a few rounds say 5-10 each with what the Lyman manual recommends size wise, and shoot them.

If it is a used weapon/milsurp or otherwise, I spend an appreciable amount of time insuring that I get all the jacketed fouling out. When I shoot the test loads, if I get no leading and decent accuracy, I may-or may not go up a thousands of an inch or so in quest of the MOA grouping. Depending on cal/cartridge that I am shooting, I will usually be happy if I am someplace between MOA, and MODeer. If I do get leading, I definitely go up at least a thousands or maybe even two, until I get no leading and get acceptable accuracy. Rarely, have I ever gone down in size, the exception being with a K-31 Swiss that I started out at .310 with some lee blts. The rifle wanted .309 for most of the lee projectiles, but the exception was the 180 grainer, and it shoots best with .310.

As a result of this practice, I have saved myself the frustration of casting soft lead slugs, possibly sticking a slug in the bbl, and making some other mistake involving slugging barrels that I have read about over the years. I guess part of the reason for me doing it my way, is that I am not handy with tools, and have never wanted to chance buggering up a barrel. After over 50 years of shooting probably over 100 different weapons, I am comfortable with what I do.

1Shirt!8-)

ShooterAZ
06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
While I have slugged a barrel or three, I'm in your camp. It's taken me a couple of years to accumulate all my different sizing dies, and to learn what likes what. I have a pretty good feel at this point for what works, and what probably won't. Perhaps the exception for me would be non US military rifles. I have learned that they can be all over the place.

firefly1957
06-22-2013, 10:44 PM
I only slug a barrel when i feel there is a need first barrel i slugged was a Browning P-220 that would not shoot a group with same cast bullets as my 1911 found the groove depth to be .453" and with a tight chamber that gun will not shoot lead bullets!

WILCO
06-23-2013, 05:23 AM
I've only slugged two barrels. Didn't enjoy the experience. Won't be afraid to slug again, but it'll only be in a "must do" situation.

MBTcustom
06-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Slugging a barrel is an easy thing to do if you do it right, and can tell you what is going on in your barrel. This knowledge can save you time and money.
Without slugging the barrel you are making quite a few assumptions.
I don't get it? What's so painful or heinous about pushing a lead slug through your barrel? You could almost do it with a cleaning rod. What gives?

btroj
06-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Tim, he is my father in law. When he says "not handy with tools" he means it.

Heck, I have only slugged a couple barrels myself.

I usually try what I think will work and if it does then why slug? I reserve slugging a barrel for those times when things just doesn't seem to be working out.

Ithaca Gunner
06-23-2013, 08:36 AM
(shrugs) I'm with 1shirt. I haven't slugged a bore since sometime in the 1970's.

jmort
06-23-2013, 10:12 AM
I agree, no need to slug barrel. For example, I start with .358 in .357 and go up, if necessary, from there, until it works. Cylinder throats are more important to me in revolvers and I will check with plug gauges and get them reamed/honed as necessary. Pretty much what 1 Shirt said.

MBTcustom
06-23-2013, 10:13 AM
LOL! well if it's that bad then by all means don't slug your barrel!
Personally, I like to cut to the chase and conserve lead.

jmort
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
You are mechanically inclined and do machine work. Something easy for you, might be a PIA for others. I'm inclined towards Beer Can Engineering and KISS.

1Shirt
06-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Not familiar with beer can engineering, bud definitely agree with the KISS principle. Did grow up with electricians tape (now replaced for the most part by Duct tape), and bailing wire however.
1Shirt!

jmort
06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Beer Can Engineering = low tech solutions

captaint
06-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Well, I sure haven't slugged all of my barrels that I cast and load for. IF I can do it cheaply, I will go with the obvious and if that doesn't work, go ahead and slug away. I won't, however, spend 35 bucks on a Star die without knowing it's the right size. Of course sometimes things we "know" are wrong !! HA...
Back when I bought my first 1911 and was beginning to cast, I remember asking the lady on the phone at Midway - "So, does everybody get the .451 sizing die (Lee) or do they go with the .452" ?? Luckily, she said you should probably go with the .452 !! Saved me a couple of bucks right there...... Mike

MBTcustom
06-23-2013, 11:33 AM
That's true, I apologize. Sometimes I think I assume that everybody has my skill set and thinks like I do.
While I'm typing on a computer no less! Boy that's a laugh! I have absolutely no clue how this magic information box works.

WILCO
06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't get it? What's so painful or heinous about pushing a lead slug through your barrel?

Lack of knowledge turned my first attempt into a nightmare with a slug of hard lead and multiple broken wood dowel pieces stuck in the barrel. The complete action was knocked loose in the stock and I feared the worse. I've since done it right, but has left a foul taste in my mouth for sure.

MBTcustom
06-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Would it help if I wrote a dedicated sticky with pictorial instructions?

ErikO
06-23-2013, 03:14 PM
When I get my Mosin Nagant I'll slug its barrel since I plan on only shooting cast through it.

1Shirt
06-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Clean it good, and get all the copper out. Most of the Mosins I have loaded for seem to shoot .314/.315 best.
1Shirt!

btroj
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Would it help if I wrote a dedicated sticky with pictorial instructions?

Why? We can go to YouTube and watch the Internet gurus teach us all we need to know!

In reality Tim, a nice sticky with photos would be good. Something from a machine work/ gun smith point of view. Largely focusing on how to do no harm!

I look forward to seeing it.

H.Callahan
06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
In reality Tim, a nice sticky with photos would be good. Something from a machine work/ gun smith point of view. Largely focusing on how to do no harm!Agreed, but make sure you only use tools that the average Joe would have. Lathes are definitely out, probably even a drill press is "iffy". One of the peeves I have is some experienced/talented folks here will scratch their heads on why someone wouldn't just slap something on a lathe and make their own "whatchajigger".

MBTcustom
06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Sorry Callahan, I guess I've been guilty of that. I'll see what I can do to keep it lightweight.

H.Callahan
06-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Sorry Callahan, I guess I've been guilty of that. I'll see what I can do to keep it lightweight.
Actually not so much with you. (BTW, I hope you didn't think I was "calling you out" -- you've always been helpful). I guess I get jealous of folks who seem to have unlimited resources (again, not pointing at you GS) and unlimited skill, or more to the point, unlimited time to acquire skill. It gets frustrating knowing that there is a easy solution for many problems if one just had the resources.

Bottom line, pay no attention to me, I am just grousing!

MBTcustom
06-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Hey, sometimes I need "calling out" and I would hope you had the cajones to do it LOL!

1Shirt
06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Good responses on this thread. Goodsteel, I look forward to seeing what you put together, as I am sure it will be informative to most. Won't change my mind however about lapping, I am to old to change habits that work for me! Am also to durn old to care much about what people think, or to get much excited about it! Some place beyond the age of 60 I think I quit being emotional, as my wife is more than enough emotional for both of us.
1Shirt!