PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336CS

chet
08-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I have a Marlin 336CS and I want to try my hand at cowboy shooting, shooting the 30-30 with reduced loads for this sport, questions I have is what cast bullet will be the best choice for the rifling on this barrel, If the gun works out I will cast my own bullets but for now where can I purchase cast bullets, what weight and style do I need, also I want to put a Lyman tang sight on it, I notice the serial numbers are on the tang and It is not drilled and tapped, is it illegal for me to drill the tang where the numbers are!

thanks
Chet

Buckshot
08-15-2005, 08:00 AM
............Yup, BATFE has an issue with de-facing serial numbers. However there is an outfit that makes a tang base that spans the number. No problem covering the serial number up so long as it's not a permanent deal.

You must be asking that question about 'Best for my rifling' on account of it maybe has MG rifling? If it is you want a big fat boolit, that's hard. If you're going to be buying commercial, the problem is what is offered and what your rifle will accept so far as diameter is concerned.

You can make a too fat one smaller, but not vice versa. If offered, I'd get a 150gr FN at .311". If the chamber won't accept that then it's time to size'm down to .310". There are a coupl eoutfits around I know who offer such a slug in a PB design, but I don't know what diameters they offer.

You oughta check with Bullshop, a member of the board here. He's a commercial caster and can provide pretty much what you want. Just send a PM to Bullshop.

..............Buckshot

bdoyle
08-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Lyman has a newer design that allows for the SN on the tang. I was using one on a marlin 1895 and I only used the stock screw to hold it in place. There is enough curvature to keep the sight straight.

Brian

sundog
08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Chet, I have several lever guns with Lyman tangs. While they are pretty much an improvement for sighting I would not overlook Marbles which are windage adjustable. As far as I know the Marbles are also okay for SASS events. My next tang will be a Marbles exactly for the reason it is windage adjustable. Personally, I wouldn't worry about drilling through a SN as long as you have a record of it. Whew-eee, did I just say that? Or maybe restamp it on the bottom tang so it's still there if you're worried about it. sundog

PatMarlin
08-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Chet-

I was shooting my Lyman 311284 out of my Micro Groove Marlin 336 .30'30 last fall with amazing results.

Boolit cast out to 223gr with ACWW's/gas checked with LBT blue soft. I rigged a press out of a couple of Lee sizer dies in my Challenger press to make a repeatable flat metplat (the 311284 is kinda pointed).

So far my best load was 24grs of 3031 with an average velocity of 1670 fps.

But get this... I had a touching cloverleaf group at 50yrds!... and many at 1". This was with open sights, but I can't see past 50 for a 100 worth a darn anymore.

I'm trying to decide on what sights to install. I tired of buying scopes.. Now I see Lyman has the new serial friendly tang model, so I may buy that.. [smilie=f:

KCSO
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I use the Lyman 31141 or a M/M 165 of the same design. My cowboy load is 9.0 grains of Unique for right at 1300 from my carbine. In the Marlin I would go Lino and w/w 1/2 and 1/2 if straight w/w won't shoot. I have had good luck with the Lee 150 fpgc bullet with the gas check bored out of the mould. In most Cowboy shoots gas checks are verboten if your local club allows them OK but if you travel to a shoot you may not be able to use g/c bullets.

Do NOT under any circumstance alter or deface any part of a factory serial number. If the right/wrong person see's it you WILL lose the gun at the least. I personally cut up 3 this last year that were confiscated for this exact reason, including a S and W M 10 that somebody round butted and trimmed 1/2 of a number off of.

moodyholler
08-24-2005, 04:51 PM
BATF site says it can be moved if you have to deface it. Has to be written down in two places while work is being done. I went through this when I round buttted my S&W 67 and had to restamp serial number after work was done. I simply called my local BATF office to get the info. moodyholler