PDA

View Full Version : Autos barely leading

Nutter
06-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi, Im fairly new to casting but not to reloading have a few question id like to get answered if all possible. Ive been tuning loads for a couple autos one a 1911 TRP other FNP-45...Im casting a 200g SWC and think I have a do everything load. A nice load that seems to run very nicely in autos as well as a buddies XD and Glock...Ive played alot with the crimp and OAL and this seems to run in everything. My 1911 eats everything but the glock and FNP had alot of issues hanging up on the SWC but I think I got it worked out with this load

200g SWC from a lee 6 aluminum mold
Sized with a Star at 452 and running jakes scarlet red lube with aircooled WW

4.0g Clays
Crimped to .470
OAL 1.250
Win brass

Anyway seems to be during tests on the 1911 and FNP towards the throat I picked up some leading in both pistols very small amount and with both having about 200 rounds apiece down the tube. I Slugged the 1911 barrel and seems that the rifling diam .443 outer diam 449-450 hard to get a good reading on it but this seemed to be it.

Guess big question is if im running to hard of lead and need to throw some tin in or not enough powder? just trying to get leading issue solved not that its effecting accuracy downrange but I was more curious if I left the issue alone and just shoot and when they needed cleaned out after a good lead build up then do so or solve the issue now.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the book just trying to get some things solved

MtGun44
06-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Try NRA 50-50 lube and .452 diam - hope "251" is is really ".451" ;-)

Bill

Nutter
06-21-2013, 06:21 PM
will do with the lube...haha ya just noticed that I think if that was the case id have alot more problems lol ;) question tho my star size die says .452 but sitting here measuring my bullets they are all .451 guess I never added 1+1 there so im guessing I need a bigger die

fredj338
06-21-2013, 06:51 PM
For that low pressure, acww may be just a bit hard. I run a lot of 45acp, mostly range scrap or 50/50 range scrap & acww. I size 0.452" & use CR or TAC for lube. I do not use CLays anymore, don't care for it at the top end, but it is better than TG for lead bullets.

Shiloh
06-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Water dropped 50/50 WW Range scrap. 5.0 gr Unique, or 4.0 gr Bullseye. Crimped to remove the bell from case mouth expansion. Works great with a flat base 200 gr. SWC. Looks like an H&G #68 boolit, bur made with an altered LEE mold.

SHiloh

kartooo
06-21-2013, 07:13 PM
i use a 3 hole accurate mold that's really H&G #68 boolit, coww,water cooled sized to .452,white label x-lox 2500plus, 4gr clays in all my 1911 .45's
i get a little leading too, can only see it with magnification. a pass or 2 with them copper chore boys is all it needs after a loong range session

Echo
06-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Your Star sizer can be honed out a little - I believe there is a sticky on honing out dies - or if you wish to buy new, forum member Lathesmith makes some nice reasonably priced molds. I have a couple of his, and can recommend them.

runfiverun
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
i'm thinking with a 450 bore and a 451 sizer your just fine.
i'd be more inclined to not believe the actuality of the calipers.

Cherokee
06-21-2013, 08:32 PM
The light leading you mentioned, does it build up as you shoot more or stay just about the same ? It might just be mornal residue from powder/lube. If the leading does not get worse as you shoot more, then I would not be concerned. Chore Boy or maybe just a brush wil take care of it. I use .452 in my 1911's, PD and XDm with White Lebel CR lube.

mpmarty
06-21-2013, 09:04 PM
ACWW and 5.0 gr of Red Dot with 200gr #68 clones works in all my 45s but never would in my XD so I no longer have an XD.

Nutter
06-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Ya... seems to be lead right there next to the throat in both firearms wasn't a ton and like I said had 200 rounds per gun and that was with playing with the OAL and Crimps dunno if that would do anything... I didnt have any chor boy laying around but I have a couple lead removal rags from the dept. ran it through the barrel around a brush polished them up like a mirror. I will contact star and get the proper sized sizing die that I originally ordered and see if that makes a difference only thing is I have about 3k I already have finished lubed and all but hell they seem to shoot really well through everything and are pretty darn accurate so WTH else to do besides shoot them ;) If I gotta run chor boy every 1k then so be it I got the lead for next to nothing and alot more from where that came from.

12 yard free standing when I was ladder testing and playing with OAL and crimps

Thanks for all the help guys I have some of the powders some of you cats listed laying around ill try it and see what happens as well.

BBQJOE
06-21-2013, 11:17 PM
What was it you're complaining about??? :-)

runfiverun
06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
yep.
try pushing a lubed patch down the clean barrel before shooting.

243winxb
06-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Don't change a thing as accuracy is good. Note that some XD's have problems with .452" diameter. Tight throats.

MtGun44
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Hey - R5R got a new hat!
;-)

Bill

Idz
06-22-2013, 03:55 PM
A question I've never seen answered is 'What is leading?' People say zero, no, light, little bit, moderate, bad, heavy, extreme leading but never define what it means. I would assume if the rifling is buried it would be considered extreme leading and zero would probably be a hazy bore with clean rifling. But what level of lead in the bore is reasonable or expected? and what does that look like? Since I have excellent close-up vision (extreme nearsightedness) so I can pick out the tiny defects in "mirror finish" bores that others can't see at all.
After 100 rounds I've seen the leading edge of my rifling clean and the trailing edge have sections where maybe .010" of lead deposited that can be scraped out with a dental pick. Is that expected/reasonable?
After 80 rounds of my GC 9mm in my Glock 17 I cleaned the bore with a Foul-Out III and weighed the removed lead. I got less than 1/2 grain. Is that considered no leading?

thanks for your insights

jonp
06-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Don't change a thing as accuracy is good. Note that some XD's have problems with .452" diameter. Tight throats.

You got that right. Ive been playing with an xd and .452 boolits have given me fits. Way to sensitive too sensitive to seating depth and crimp in my view. SWC will not feed only RN. Not worth the effort to me

243winxb
06-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Idz, http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm To me, leading is when accuracy goes away.

BD
06-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a throat issue to me. If your bore is really .450, going larger isn't likely to solve this issue. If these are fairly new pistols, and the leading is in the first inch or so of the barrel, I'd take a close look to see if the chamber end of the lands have been relieved at all. I don't know anything about XD barrels, but using properly sized boolits in a properly throated 1911, you should be able to go 700 or 800 rounds between cleanings without seeing any more lead accumulation than what Idz described.
BD

MtGun44
06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Comm hard cast with crayola lube do this. Soft Bill-cast with NRA 50-50 or LBT soft blue do not.
I think the lube is the bigger prob, but it is not a huge deal for me and seems same for you.

HOWEVER, I can't get the comm guys to use good lube, but you CAN.

Bill