PDA

View Full Version : Zustavas are go!

Four Fingers of Death
06-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I have been shooting a Remington SPS700 in 270Win and it shoots ok, but there were a few things I didn't like about it. The magazine when being topped up often doesn't cooperate and a round gets hung up, high on the left hand side of the action and every now and then I get a misfeed. I had it at the range on the weekend and a friend came up and started admiring it. he said that he had a few Remingtons and loved them and did I want to sell mine? I gave him ten rounds and told him to make sure it was ok. He loved it, bought it! I have a 3006 Interarms MkX sporter that I have had since the early mid 90s. It is what are now called Zustavas. They were available in Australia in the 90s with a RamLine NoiseMaster stock (they weren't called that, but that was what I called mine, made a helluva racket. Noisy stock aside, it was a terrific rifle and my son ended up with it, but it still lives at my place. These rifles were pretty cheap then and are back on the shelves, still cheap and are priced about the same as the Savage Edge/Ruger American / Remington 783.

So I lashed out and put a blued 270Win plastic stocked version on lay by (lay away you guys call it), thinking I will bail it out when my friend gives me the money for the Remington later in the week.

All is good, at home anticipating getting my new rifle and running it in, etc when I see 6.5x55 Zustavas for sale in Sydney even cheaper! I rang up today and they had one left. Yep! You guessed it, put that one on lay by also! I have a pretty neat Carl Gustav (Called Charlie Guts-ache in Australia) Swede milsurp rifle with a mint bore. I don't like the sights on this rifle and I reckon it will sell for more than the new Zustava cost me.

Looking forward to getting back into Mauser actions and controlled round feed. I have a lovely little old 6x M8 Leupold compact scope which will go well on the 6.6. It should be a nice rifle. Here is a few pics of the 270, the 6.5 will be essentially the same. I fancy getting an 8mm Mauser version as well as the 375H&H and a 458 Win Mag. These three will be cast boolit guns.

I will sell off a lot of the rifles I have. I like the idea of having matching rifles for similar feel.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20130520_270WZustava_zps2795d313.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20130520_270WZustava_zps2795d313.jpg.html)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20130520_270WZustava2_zps14d831cf.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20130520_270WZustava2_zps14d831cf.jpg.html)

I just noticed that they still have the two holes on the RHS of the rear receiver ring for receiver sights, apart from the plastic stocks, no shortcuts on these rifles.

W.R.Buchanan
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
FFOD: J&G Sales in Prescott AZ has several of your Zustavas for sale right now. They are priced at about $430-$500 US. for pretty much all calibers and they also have Mannlicher styles as well. I was just looking at them yesterday.

They also have Mini Mauser versions in .223 and 7.62x39.

I don't know how they compare price wise with your stuff DU, but that kind of money for what you get is a pretty good deal here. pretty underated guns IMHO.

They are at the very bottom (Z) of the new guns listings for J&G

Her's a link. http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=1-&categories_id=209&inc_subcat=1&sort=3a&stID=0&page=2

Randy

Four Fingers of Death
06-21-2013, 11:29 PM
The 270 cost me $AU575, the 6.5 $AU595 (the 6.5s don't seem to come up as much as the American calibres here). The local gunshop where I bought the 270 has Remington 783s at $AU595, Savage Edge and Ruger Americans at a few dollars less than that.

It seems that the price for the 7mm Rem Mag and 300Win Mag are $AU100 dearer at $AU675 and the SS Magnums are a $AU100 dearer again at $AU785 and the 375H&H and the 458WM another $AU100 dearer at $AU885. So prices for standard (243, 270, 3006, etc) are on a par with the budget new wave American rifles, which is pretty good buying in my mind. No plastic mags, etc to worry about, these rifles will be around long after I'm gone.

If I was more cashed up (actually, I'm the opposite of cashed up at the moment :( ) I would buy one of each of the Rem783, Ruger American and the Edge just to experience them. They represent excellent value. The gunshops must hate them though, they are pretty much half the price of the normal offerings and must have a lower profit margin, but I suppose this is offset by selling more.

UPDATE: I forgot to add, we have the smaller rifles in 223, 22Hornet and 7.62x39 (I think). These are actually a bit more expensive than the full sized rifles, but all have wooden stocks and are half the price of the CZs and 2/3rds the price of the Ruger M77 in these cals. The rimfire series is also available in 17HMR, 22Mag and 22LR. I don't know what the prices are on those.

Stephen Cohen
06-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Yes Four fingers Zustavas are a great gun, I see a lot of them at my range and all shoot well. I love the small action it really fits the Hornet and 222 class well.

LIMPINGJ
06-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Century Arms is the US importer.

Four Fingers of Death
06-23-2013, 03:41 AM
I had a look at my son's 15+ yr old 3006 MkX (used to be mine, what the Zustavas were called in the 70s, 80s and 90s). It looks identical. I have a feeling the finish on the older version is better, but the jury's out until I can get them side by side.

pressonregardless
06-23-2013, 07:11 AM
I have no experience with Zastava's, but did find a company in Canada offering this one with a full-stock in 7x57. Think they also showed one in 6.5x55.

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/zastava-commercial-m98-m70-full-mannlicher-stock-7x57-2

Nice looking rifle.

Four Fingers of Death
06-23-2013, 10:54 AM
They are a proper commercial mauser, for about the cost of a reasonable barrel, yu wouldn't be bothered building a rifle on a milsurp at these prices.

LynC2
06-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, I hope they are good to go. I have a LH mini in 7.62x39 on order and I hope it gets here next week! Hopefully I can find a good cast load to shoot in it. [smilie=w:

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2013, 08:40 AM
That should be a good bit of gear, my mate has a Brno (now CZ) converted to 7.62x39 and it is used extensively for hunting goats with great success.

Four Fingers of Death
08-06-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm a sick man! I like the idea of having all my medium / big game rifles on the same platform and apart from not making a rifle in 338WM which is a calibre I really like Zastavas fill the bill.

I have since bought a SS 9.3x62 (got it for the same price as a blued one, which I would have preferred, but it as all they had in stock) and am meeting a guy at my gunsmith's on Friday as he passes through on his way to a hunting trip. He has a 375H&H and a 458WM, both with Warnescope rings and 1-3x20 Weaver Classic scopes.

The 375H&H has 100 rounds of factory ammo and twenty fired cases and the 458WM has 50 factory rounds and 10 fired cases.

It turns out the guy selling them works in the same prison as my son (small world, you wouldn't want to be playing up as we used to say). He always wanted a couple of big rifles with a trip to Northern Territory to hunt buffalo as his ultimate aim, but after one range visit (he must be made of stern stuff, firing 20 rounds of 375H&H and 10 rounds of 458WM, haha!) his priorities have changed and his safe is bulging, so he decided to sell them. He knocked $50 off both rifles and it is a pretty good package, given the scope set up and the ammo that is included.

Now all I need is one in a mag calibre that I can pull the barrel and fit a 338WM barrel to, a 243 that I can re-chamber to 240WM and a 22/250, haha!

nicholst55
08-07-2013, 12:56 AM
I have one marked Whitworth that I bought new in .30-06 and immediately rebarreled to .35 Whelen. I almost wish I'd done it in .35 Whelen Ackley Improved, but I didn't. Still, a great rifle in a great cartridge! I call mine my 'bang-plop' rifle, because everything I've shot with it is DRT!

I don't hunt anything but predators and varmints these days, and the Whelen is a bit much for either application. Still, I'm keeping that gun.

Four Fingers of Death
08-07-2013, 05:24 AM
My old MkX 3006 is called 'Old Painless' for the same reason.

snowwolfe
08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
A bunch of us on the Accurate Reloading forum talked an importer in Las Vegas into importing about 50-60 left hand Zastava's into the USA. Took awhile to get them, something along the line of 6-8 months. The metal work on the rifles was pretty nice, and most of the rifles came with adjustable iron sights. Most claimed good accuracy and everyone said the wood stocks basically sucked as the checkering was very crude and finish was pathetic. The only options us lefties had were blued steel and walnut. Calibers ranged from .223 to .458 WM. Overall it was a pretty good buy on calibers that left handers rarely see in factory rifles.
I bought a 7x57, 30-06, and a 9,3x62 but ended up selling them all once I got into a Blaser R8 system.

Four Fingers of Death
08-08-2013, 07:16 PM
The wood is pretty crude, utilitarian would describe it better, haha! But for the price of these things, a Boyd's stock and a few hours elbow grease fitting it and slicking up the action buys you a genuine commercial Mauser, which is equivalent to rifles which are much more expensive.

If these guns had slick, ultra smooth actions and great wood, we probably wouldn't be able to afford them. I think if they offered a Luxus model with a classic stock, good wood, nice chequering and a smoothed action and careful polishing and bluing, they would end up around the price of a better Remington 700 or the Winchester M70 and would be a great buy.

We get the guns cheap and end up doing the finishing at no cost, apart from time spent on it. When I bought Old Painless (what my son likes to call my/his now 3006 MkX/Zastava), I oiled the action, put a big old piece of cloth to catch any drips over my lap and sat watching TV while I worked the bolt back and forwards bearing on the left, then the right, then with downward pressure, then with upward pressure until my late wife chucked a fit (well not really, just got sick of the noise). A couple of sessions like this and it was a lot smoother. After a couple hundred rounds or so they end up pretty smooth anyway apparently.

I am a lot more knowledgeable regarding smoothing rifles now and might do a YouTube video about the process. I must buy a trigger pull gauge so that I can measure bolt lift resistance, etc, before and after so that I can demonstrate any improvement.

Four Fingers of Death
08-09-2013, 06:52 AM
UPDATE:

Well, I met my son's workmate today, as he was heading west to go on a pig shoot. A quick inspection of his guns, money changed hands and I took the 375H&H and 458WM Zastavas! Both are fitted with Weaver 1-3x20 scopes and Warne mounts and come with factory ammo and once fired brass. The 375 has fired 20 shots, the 458 only 10 ( that will change soon!). The guy gave me the new 458WM dies and apologised that he couldn't find the 375H&H dies and promised to get them to me afterwards. I haven't got permits for them yet so gave them to my mate who is a gun dealer to hang onto them until I do. I neglected to take photos of them as I was on a real tight schedule.

Here are the ads;

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=20595

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=20594

I ended up paying $AU2100 for the rifles, mounts, rings, scopes, ammo and dies. New price for one of these rifles is just shy of $AU1000 at the big discount gunstores, so I feel that I got a pretty good deal, especially as there are none of these about at the moment, plenty of the smaller calibres, but no 375s and 458s. Another thing in favour of this deal is the fact that I can trust the guy who sold them. I'm very happy, I bumped into a mate on the way to the gundealer's and he wants to buy the 458 and the gundealer wants to buy it as well, haha. Sorry guys, these rifles will be burning the jacketed ammo that came with it, then they have a solid diet of cast boolits ahead of them! I have a group buy 330Gn 458 Gould HP mould, I can't wait to get hunting with that one!

They actually look a lot better in the flesh as the stocks have seen a fair amount of elbow grease and stock finish.

missionary5155
08-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Greetings
Most accurate 30-06 I have ever owned is an Interarms Mark X Made by CZ about 30 years ago. Hammer forged barrel. It shoots 125's to 220 RN fantasticly. One of those that will be the last to ever leave the family. Every time I get it out it I am reminded what a pleasant to use and accurate rifle it is.
Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
08-11-2013, 07:57 AM
My old/my son's 3006 shoots like a dream. I have only used 130Gn Speer Hollow points and 150 Gn bulk WInchester bullets, and more recently some 165 Gn Nosler Ballistic Tips (which were given to me, I'm a bit leery about them for medium/big game, but my mates swear by them) All bullets worked well, I haven't hunted with the Nosler BTs, but the 130Gn HP and the 150Gn Power Point bulk bullets worked like the Hammer of Thor! I think conventional bullets are adequate at sane velocities.

Four Fingers of Death
10-05-2013, 08:14 AM
I am on holidays interstate and visited a friend who owns a gun shop. I didn't realise, but he is a Zastava fan. He has visited the factory twice. He said that they use machinery that was given to them by the Germans as WW1 war reparations. He also said that the reason they were invariably accurate was because they still use cut rifling.

MA4A
10-09-2013, 04:14 AM
I have three Zastava M98 rifles(458 Win,9.3x62 and a 7x57) and hunt with them. Excellent VALUE FOR THE $.They all shoot well. The surprise was how well they performed with cast gascheck loads.

The timber stocks are definitely budget grade. I recommend parting with the extra $s for the synthetic.

Stephen Cohen
10-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Four Fingers you must be Irish to have such luck, I asked Tony Cleaver if he could get one in 458wm, and seems they are available $855 for rifle alone, so you did well.

savagetactical
10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I have a Zastava that I have owned for a long time.

The photo shows my two favorite hunting rifles, a Herters J9 in 6mm Remington (Zastava Mauser) and my Ruger M77 MK II in 7x57. The old Herters J9 has taken its fair share of yotes, deer, and whatever else decided to go hunting for. It has given Yeoman's duty, the Ruger M77 in 7x57 has taken a few goats, deer and some elk and a couple of sheep. The old J9 even though it has been around for a few years is still capable of fine accuracy and will deliver sub moa with good loads. I highly recommend the Zastava Mausers.

Four Fingers of Death
10-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Nice rifles. I picked up a good deal on 100x Highland (Aussie branded Privi Partisan) 285Gn factory rounds for the 9.3x62 on Monday and yesterday I picked up the rifle (bought over the phone, haven't had a chance to pick it up previously. Itching to get it going, but having trouble getting suitable mounts and rings, so no go yet. The only ones they had were too high. I will have to take the rifle and scope to a few stores and see if I can get a better set.

The SS finish is a matte grey, like a dull version of the SS finish on the Ruger Varmint rifles.

starmac
10-21-2013, 04:08 AM
I looked at a left handed one today, didn't know they made such a thing. The guy that had claimed he got in on a group buy that included 80 people and had 110 leftys imported in various calibers. This was a left handed 98 action, and was pretty sweet.

eljefeoz
10-21-2013, 04:59 AM
4 fingers-
That was a great run of luck.
I have a 9.3 in CZ and 2 on Zasty actions
a 404 J- Walther barrel, Recknagel metal, got my father's Zielvier scope from his 9.3/ 16 G drilling on it
A 7x57- Boyd's stock, Hakko 2.5-10x42 scope;which I use purely with cast,

All built by Tony Small, Afro408 on this forum.
Straight shooters, the 7x57 is the reason i hang out here ;) now moving onto PP CB for the .404J and 6.5 Grendel
Cheers

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Sounds like a nice lot of rifles eljefeoz. I've never owned a 7x57. Always been keen on the 308W (probably biased as I carried an SLR (FnFal) in the ground pounders) and 3006 I moved onto to armour after Officer Training and our Centurion Main Battle tank's machine guns all fired 3006, so fond of that as well. (pity I didn't realise they were 3006 at the time, I bought my first 3006 around that time, haha! I was in my early 20s, didn't realise the M1 30 cal or whatever we called it at the time was the ought six. I was up to my ankles in brass (all American single flash hole stuff, groannnnnnnn) and was buying hunting ammo at the gun shop, D'Oh!

eljefeoz
10-21-2013, 07:33 AM
I guess ground pounder nomenclature does have its disadvantages? I owned a 30 once ,was a .300 Roy. Am happy with my basic battery, thrilled to bits with the 7x 57 and the cb loads.I started casting a few months ago and can't get enough of casting for the 7. Plan to move upto PP for the 404 and am on my 6th formulation of lube. Hope to take my daughter out with some mouse squeak 7x 57 loads (17 gr of ADI 2205) and get her started on CF soon

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a plan!

Four Fingers of Death
11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
I picked up the pair of Zastavas today, that I had bought off a workmate of my sons. 375H&H and a 458WM, both with Weaver 1-3x (I think) scopes. Nice looking rifles, off to the range tomorrow to give them a workout. I only have factory ammo available at the moment and will try and free up some cases for reloading.

Pictures and range report tomorrow.

Four Fingers of Death
11-14-2013, 09:37 AM
I would like one of those in 22 Hornet, rechambered to 22K Hornet. Nice light outfit, with a Vari X11 2-7, like a wand in the bush.

eljefeoz
11-14-2013, 10:39 AM
:awesome::awesome::awesome:

RustyReel
05-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Old thread, I know. I have four of the Zastava wood stock rifles, current model number is M70. I've decided the lengh-of-pull is a bit too long. Anyone know if the recoil pads are screwed on or glued on. No signs of a screw-driver on the pad but you can create a small gap between the pad and the stock when you push the pad to the rear. Just like to be able to remove the pad, shorten the stock an half inch or so and reinstall the pad without screwing something up. Any help will be appreciated.

Stephen Cohen
05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Rusty I would imagine their is a couple of holes in that pad to access screws, I will be in same boat as you today when I pick my 458 WM Zastava up. You did not say what calibre these stocks were off, it is not uncommon to leave a stock a little long on the heavy kickers to keep your eye away from scope in recoil. In my opinion the most important thing when cutting stock, is to ensure the cut is 90 degree to the rifle bore, many stocks I have shortened, come from the factory know where near that. I mention this so you don't make the mistake of just measuring an inch all round, when in fact it may well me an inch at the top and 1/4 inch at bottom. Regards Stephen.

Four Fingers of Death
05-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Just having a cuppa prior to going out to an appointment, I will dig one out later and have a look.

I'd be realllllllllllllll careful shortening the stock on a heavy recoiler which was going to have a scope mounted.

Stephen Cohen
05-16-2014, 02:58 AM
RustyReel it is held on by screws, I have just checked mine. If you push down and out on the top and bottom edge you will see a small cut where screws are.

RustyReel
05-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Stephen, I couldn't see the slits worth a hoot but took your word for it and pushed a screw driver in there. Yep, screwed on (mostly) and lightly glued as well. Thanks for the info.

I have rifles in 22-250, 25-06 and 308 with double set triggers and the LOP is over 14.5" to the rear trigger. A bit long for me, so I plan on shortening the stocks on those.

My 458WM is a Charles Daly badged Zastava with single trigger. The LOP on that one if fine at 14" but the shape of the recoil pad is different and it tends to hang up on my shirt when shouldering the rifle. I think I will grind off the top "point" of the recoil pad to a more rounded shape which should help with this. Thanks again guys for your help.

Four Fingers of Death
05-16-2014, 10:35 AM
If that doesn't work, Pachmayr make a pad with a smooth plastic bit on the top that won't catch on clothing. The only real complaint I can make about the Zastavas, is the bloody useless, hard recoil pads. They are there to stop the stock splitting,not to soak up any recoil it seems.

Old Coot
05-16-2014, 09:09 PM
I just took delivery today on a Zastava mini mauser in 7.62x39. I'll let you know how it shakes down.
Brodie

Four Fingers of Death
05-17-2014, 01:11 AM
I think that will be one awesome cast boolit rifle!

missionary5155
05-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Good morning
Have a good shooting Zastava Mauser caliber 308 down here with me. Bought it probably 15 years ago for $425. Has the single set trigger which works very nicely set or unset. Very accurate with Mil-surp ammo Army officers sell "under the table".
On Saturday's used to be able to go to the Army range and practice. Had to pay a minor fee (40 cents ) for range use. Then you could buy all the Mil-Surp you wanted to shoot for 15 cents a cartridge. We were suppossed to shoot it all there but somehow some would get "lost" in the shooting box for later excursions to the desert. If you wanted you could rent a real FAL for 40 cents but no auto fire. Sadly the present powers stopped all that. Grave concerns about civilians learning to shoot straight.
Have two Interarms CZ's sitting in storage in the US of A. One is a 30-06 and a new to me 375 H&H that was rescently bought and going to the range in June when I get up there.
Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
05-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I have a 375H&H Zastava, but I found a Ruger No 1 in 375H&H. It was the calibre for the Tropical Rifle for 2013. As Ruger are only doing one calibre per year in each model, I felt that by the time the 375H&H came around again, I would be too old, so I bought it, haha! Both nice rifles.