PDA

View Full Version : SOWW and COWW Casting

82ndMedic
06-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a few questions that I have yet to find an answer to that im hoping you may be able to help out with!

1) Using regular SOWW's, assuming pure or almost pure lead content, can these bullets be used in 9mm, .38 spc, and .45 loads at standard velocities if heat treated and water quenched without producing leading?

2) Will a 50/50 mix, pound for pound of COWW and SOWW's be hard enough, with just water quenching straight from the mold for the above calibers, and not produce leading?

3) If 1 and 2 are not possible, what would you mix, ratio wise, of those two alloys, assuming the standard components of each, to maximize the use of about 150 lbs of COWW, and 150 lbs of SOWW that i got for $50?

Im just trying to see how far i can make the last purchase go, as i hate spending money for stuff I used to collect for free when i had a job at a range!

Thank you for your input and vast knowledge!

Nick
-"The Daily Gunner"

JeffinNZ
06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I have sucessfully oven heated SOWW to 12 BHN. I 'sweeten' mine with a splash of tin babbit (white metal) I have and air cooled they measure 7.8 BHN.

outdoorfan
06-20-2013, 11:25 PM
50/50 coww/soft is about the most useful alloy you can use. Try the boolits both air-cooled and wd'ed to see which your gun likes better. If the gun won't take either hardness levels with that alloy, then you can know that at least it's not the alloy. I like to add about 1-2% tin to the mix, as well.

Btw, if you wd 50/50 alloy, they should be 20-22 bhn (depending on your local ww mix). A pretty hard and very tough boolit.

williamwaco
06-20-2013, 11:39 PM
1) Maybe but I wouldn't try it.

2) Yes, you don't need to quench. Leading is caused by fit, not by hardness.
Factory wad cutters and most .22LR are actually softer than pure SOWW.

3) You could mix the whole thing 50/50.
It would be better if you could get another 50 or 100 pounds of clip-ons for that much stick-on

1500FPS
06-20-2013, 11:43 PM
SOWW's are pretty close to pure lead. Water quenching won't do any good to pure lead. Now if the SOWW's have some antimony in them they will harden. The COWW's are one of the best sources of alloy for bullet casters. That 50/50 alloy is among the best. It water quenches very well too.

82ndMedic
06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for the great information! I knew there were answers to be had on this forum, you guys are a great help! NOW, ONWARD TO THE SMELTING!!