PDA

View Full Version : Currious about gas checks

cs86
06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
I've never used gas checks, but would consider them in a rifle if I ever decide to cast for one. I'd like to know how they are put on. Are they pushed on by finger, crimped on, and is there a special machine for them. I also wondered if they come off when the bullet is in flight?

Larry Gibson
06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbooks (3rd & 4th editions) give an excellent explanation to your questions.

Simple answers are; Are they pushed on by finger (initially but a "seater" is sometimes also used), crimped on(yes if they are the crimp on type, there are commercial and home made non crimp ons also), and is there a special machine for them (yes, either a lubrasizer with sizing dies or a push through sizer will crimp them on.. I also wondered if they come off when the bullet is in flight? (crimp ons should not come off in flight and slip ons many times don't either.

Larry Gibson

ukrifleman
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I've never used gas checks, but would consider them in a rifle if I ever decide to cast for one. I'd like to know how they are put on. Are they pushed on by finger, crimped on, and is there a special machine for them. I also wondered if they come off when the bullet is in flight?

First off, you need to use a cast bullet that is designed to take a gas check. Check out Lee Precision for their range of bullet moulds for example.
The simplest and cheapest way to seat a gas check is with a Lee bullet sizing die of the appropriate size or, if you wish to use them unsized as cast, I have found the ideal way is fix them to the base of the bullet with Lok-Tite before I lube the bullets with Lee liquid Alox.
ukrifleman.

Nickle
06-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Not that many years ago, there were no significant tools for seating gas checks, but most folks lubed with a Lyman 45 or equivalent. I've never heard of gas checks coming off myself, but I suppose it's probably happened. Not exactly a common thing.

Folks used to be led to believe a gas check reduced leading, but that's been debunked many times. It does seem they do protect the base of the boolit from powder combustion gases. I am of the opinion they aren't needed until your velocity gets up near the 2000 fps or over range.