PDA

View Full Version : An old friend of my Mothers comes home.........

3006guns
06-20-2013, 05:21 AM
My Mother had become quite frail by the time I was in college during the late 1960's. Both she and my Dad had moved from the S.F. Bay Area to the Willamette Valley in Oregon where she grew up as a little girl. Since Dad was in rough shape from a brain tumor, she spent all of her time between nursing him and working as a nurse's aide at the local hospital. It took a tremendous toll on her physically but she kept at it, plucky little lady that she was.

It was sometime in the early 70's when I was visiting with my wife and new baby boy, her grandson. Mom suddenly exclaimed "Oh, look what I bought for myself yesterday!" Since Mom never bought anything for herself, my curiosity was piqued. She reached behind the kitchen door and retrieved a little .410 shotgun, rather skillfully made from an 1871 Mauser action. She handed it to me with pride and awaited my evaluation. I pronounced it a serviceable (although odd) gun and she informed me that the purchase price was $25.00 with one box of shells from the local hardware store. The reason? My Dad was an ex cop and his S&W revolver was too stiff for her to operate.....and since they were out in the country, she wanted a gun around the house. Yes, people really did think like that back then.

Years went by and both Mom and Dad passed on. The little gun ended up in my collection until a gunsmith buddy spotted it one day. He explained that these guns were manufactured all over Germany after WWI, since the treaty of Versailles prohibited the production of "war guns". He drooled over the action and announced he'd like to trade me out of it. Since the gun held no real interest for me a deal was consummated.

During the eighties a nasty divorce came and went. Most of my family's mementos, keepsakes and heirlooms vanished with my ex wife. That portion of my life I'd rather forget.

Yesterday, 6/19/13, I was at the same gunsmith buddy's shop helping him move armloads of older Mausers, shotguns, stocks, etc. from one spot to another when he suddenly said "Hey....there's your Mom's old shotgun. Why don't you take it home?" Sure enough, there was that silly single shot bolt action. I'd assumed that he'd removed the action years ago, but no, it was still in one piece and in very nice shape. A little steel wool with oil and the verdigris of years quickly came off, revealing a very nice old gun.

So, it sits in my gun closet now.......a treasured piece that brings back memories of my Mother. It will never leave my hands until it goes to her grandson. I love you Mom.

clintsfolly
06-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Happy for you to have something that your Mom wanted is Great! Clint

riorider
06-20-2013, 07:16 AM
My mom passed 15 yrs ago and I have her favorite shotgun tucked away in my gun safe its a Charles Daly 28 gauge skeet gun. At one time she had a complete set of all gauges in Charles Daly skeet guns!

starnbar
06-20-2013, 07:33 AM
You have to ask yourself what were the chances it would turn out like that? Looks like you were meant to keep it.

DCP
06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
What a wonderful story. I have a 870 made in 1951. Dad gave me at Christmas. Mom gave it to him Christmas 1951

richhodg66
06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
That's a nice story to start the day with, thanks for posting it. One really does have to ask "What are the odds?" Sounds like a higher power wanted you to have that little shotgun.

Porterhouse
06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Thank you for the nice story. Mothers are special...

LIMPINGJ
06-20-2013, 10:49 AM
It's like being a little kid again evertime I use one of the items that my parents or grandparents used.

gray wolf
06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Well I don't have as nice a story right now ---
but it was sure nice of you to share your wonderful experience.

Sam

Echo
06-21-2013, 07:14 PM
That is a sweet story. I teared up a mite...