PDA

View Full Version : need some help

bhop
06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
First off let me say how wonderful I think this forum and all it's members are I'm proud to be a part of it. I was hoping someone might have a busted tumbler that may just need a little work to get going again. I am currently using a drill with a bottle attached but have been reading about the lead dust this puts in the air and would like something safer. I can't afford to buy one but I have been and will continue to offer as much assistance as I can to other members in need.

john hayslip
06-19-2013, 01:05 PM
I had a spare spit motor for a grill and used it to make one. Cut a panel out of the side of a 3# coffee can and pop riveted a square of inner tube to it. Used a couple of bands of inner tube to keep the panel in place. Ran the spit shaft through it and then found it need some paddles so pop riveted some scrap to the inside. Made a wood base o hold it all. Doesn't hold a lot but it works fine.

OBIII
06-21-2013, 07:23 PM
I do not have a broken tumbler, but can try to give you a few ideas.

PVC pipe, 3", 4", you only need around a 1' section. A clean out for 3" costs around 5.00, and an end cap around 1.00. Any home building sites around you may have useful scrap that you could use. A couple of old dryer wheels would provide the support and allow the pvc to turn. Build a frame, figure out a way to mount the drill and attach to the pvc, and you are in business.

As far as lead, wet tumbling is your best bet. You can get "replenishment" packs of 2 lbs of stainless steel pins for around 10.00 or so.

If you are interested, I have an old dryer I could take the drum wheels off for you, and supply you with a pound of stainless steel media. If you want these items, pm me your address.

Hope this was some help.

OB

gon2shoot
06-21-2013, 08:47 PM
I used a motor off an old box fan, add a belt and it's still running

bhop
06-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Awesome thanks everyone for the ideas and thank you obIII for your generosity!