PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with RCBS Lubamatic 2

Wildcat66
06-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Just started back into casting and sizing.

My sizer has the Lyman heater plate attached to the base and I am using Thompson Blue Angel bullet lube.

While sizing my 45 semi wad cutters I noticed that some of the lube was coming out of the bottom Die cavity.

I don't remember this happening before, but haven't used the equipment for quite a few years.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm thinking that either I'm applying too much pressure to the lube or the Lyman heater plate is overheating the
sizer.
Bullets were coming out with lube groves filled out.

Any ideas?

Nick/West Virginia

Maven
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
"I'm thinking that either I'm applying too much pressure to the lube or the Lyman heater plate is overheating the
sizer."

That's what I think, Nick.

Mk42gunner
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I've never used it, but isn't Thompson Blue Angel one of the softer commercial lubes? If so try it without heat, or with intermittent heat.

Also less pressure, you may have to twitch the pressure screw every boolit, but that is better than leaking lube all over the place.

Robert

dromia
06-19-2013, 02:52 AM
The heater only needs to be on to get the lube moving and then turned off, if it left on too long the lube gets too soft and runs out under little pressure.

Does it happen without the heater being on?

Wildcat66
06-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Never thought of that! Will give it a try on my next batch and let you know if it helps.
I went to the harder lube after trying some commercial cast bullets and was impressed by the differance between my
Lyman soft lube and the blue angel......Nick

The heater only needs to be on to get the lube moving and then turned off, if it left on too long the lube gets too soft and runs out under little pressure.

Does it happen without the heater being on?

dromia
06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Hard lubes are only used by commercial boolit makers because they stand up to the rigours of transportation rather than their lubing ability.