PDA

View Full Version : LP gas regulator

mazo kid
09-26-2007, 11:54 PM
I was smelting this afternoon with my recently acquired smelter; possibly a babbit melter. It has maybe a 40# pot and warming tray combo. When I got it from my buddy, it didn't have a gas hose so I made one up from an old grill I have . It worked, but is sloooow; I think it could use more gas as I could barely keep the temp at 600*. My question is this: where can I find a line with a regulator that will give more gas flow or possibly I don't need a regulator at all? I seem to remember my buddy just using a line from the LP tank directly to the smelter. Do the turkey friers have more gas flow (higher pressure) than a grill? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Emery

ron brooks
09-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Most hardware and builder's supplys carry them. They could also answer your questions much better than I could. one thing, the regulator is what gives you a constant pressure of propane, I really would not recomend using the burner and tank with out one.

Ron

MT Gianni
09-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Regulators are sized for flow. In a lp tank you may have been drawing fast enough to ice up the reg and reduce flow. It is best sized by measuring the orifice with a numbered drill bit and matching the reg to the flow if you have a high input burner. In a rare situation if it is a high input burner, your hose may be undersized or too long. Gianni

shotstring
09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Although word is that you can get a system to work without a regulator, it has resulted in some very nasty accidents in the past when something has gone wrong. Save yourself some grief and find a proper regulator and hose.

fourarmed
09-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Not too long ago I had to replace the adjustable one that came with my turkey fryer, and I had a hard time finding one like it. I finally found one that had an adjustment, and it has worked, but it's more like another valve than an adjustable regulator.

schutzen
09-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I have one of the old propane lead pots that do not use a regulator. The valve on the tank is constructed differently than the "modern" propane tank valves. The valve serves as a type of regulator. It is not nearly as efficient as the valve and regulator combination. Another down side is the cost of repairs/replacement of the valve. I have 2 20lb cylinders, one has a bad valve. It was cheaper to purchase a 100,000 BTU burner and a regulator than to replace the valve. Stick with a good 55,000 BTU fish fryer.

montana_charlie
09-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I have 2 20lb cylinders, one has a bad valve. It was cheaper to purchase a 100,000 BTU burner and a regulator than to replace the valve.
In order to comply with the new requirements, I needed new valves in five of my propane tanks. Valves cost $12 each and I replaced them myself.
How much did they want where you shop?
CM

standles
09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
On folks that use them to smelt brass/iron/Al etc... they use a #57 drill bit in a pipe as the venturi and then have that in an air entrainment pipe. Shotgun burner I think it is called. Most I have seen are stright off the tank with n reg.

I have also seen where some pulling from a 20# tank the propane chills and reduces the flow/efficiency of the smelter so they place the tank in a tub of water to keep its temp up.

Do a google on homemade smelter and there are plenty of plans for burners etc.

Steven

mtgrs737
09-29-2007, 12:15 AM
I too had a regulator go bad and I bought one from a propane supply place for around $20. Per their recomendations you should not smelt without a regulator. They do make high flow regulators but I didn't need one as I can get all the heat I need and then some from my turkey cooker. One thing that I highly recomend is a wind sheild to prevent the heat escaping around the pot or the wind blowing the heat away from the pot. I made a heat sheild from 18 ga. sheet metal and a bolt and nut and it has cut my fuel useage in half. The guy at the propane place took one look at my turkey fryer and said that the cast iron burner was the same as used in the better water heaters and should never wear/burn out. So you make it yourself bunch might keep an eye out for a water heater burner that is about six inches in diameter and cast iron.

MT Gianni
09-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Most modern H2O heaters have stamped steel burners. Find a plumbing shop that does repair and get one from the 60's or 70's. It should be free. Pull the tube from the gas valve also as the orifice is in it. If it has an adjustable shutter on the air venturi it can be set up for natural gas also. Gianni.

mazo kid
09-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my smelter. As you can see, it has a pretty good sized cast iron burner and a heat shield. Altho not as large as some of the units in use, it should suit my purposes nicely as I don't have the vast amounts of raw material that some have.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/Smelter.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/Burner.jpg
Thanks for all the suggestions that have been put forth; now, after seeing the photos, if there are any more ideas I would surely appreciate them. Thanks again. Emery

MT Gianni
09-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Nice looking set up. I would not restrict the air any further on the burner or shield. Gianni