PDA

View Full Version : Removing Lee Alox

mrblue
06-18-2013, 03:07 AM
So Ive asked before how to remove wax lube, But once i got my boolits seated, can I use mineral spirts to clean off the alox lube to get that nice shinny look or do I have to look at something else to get Alox off. Thanks

runfiverun
06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
mineral spirits will thin out alox, it should wipe it off.

jcwit
06-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Give it a try.

Yes mineral spirits will work, as will kerosene, unleaded gas, white gas, liter fluid, lacquer thinner, etc., etc.

w5pv
06-18-2013, 07:04 AM
I use liquid wrench silicone spray.Its cheap and readily available.I take a soft rag like a tee-shirt and soak it with the spray.I then take the loaded bulllets put them in the rag and roll them around by hand until they are clean.I then throw the rag away because the sent of the spray stays in the fabric.

ku4hx
06-18-2013, 07:34 AM
I just dust all my lubed boolits with Motor Mica. Gives them that nice pewter look, negates the tackiness and what lube effect may be provided by what's on the nose is left intact.

Shiloh
06-18-2013, 10:00 AM
As stated, kerosene. I have it around, more of it than mineral spirits, and works good. Soak your boolits, and it'll wipe right off.
Another method woud be a solvent based parts washer. Know any mechanics at an auto repair shop??

Shiloh

Dusty Bannister
06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I would be reluctant to use solvents too generously on reloaded ammo as I suppose there could be a fair chance to contaminate the primer or powder if exposed for sufficient length of time.

Jim
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I would be reluctant to use solvents too generously on reloaded ammo as I suppose there could be a fair chance to contaminate the primer or powder if exposed for sufficient length of time.

Yeah, I wouldn't immerse loaded ammo in any kind of liquid, especially a petroleum distillate. I have, however, wiped the alox off the exposed part of seated boolits many times with no ill effect. As has been mentioned, a rag lightly dampened with a solvent type liquid works very well.

Bullwolf
06-18-2013, 05:32 PM
So Ive asked before how to remove wax lube, But once i got my boolits seated, can I use mineral spirts to clean off the alox lube to get that nice shinny look or do I have to look at something else to get Alox off. Thanks

I've used mineral spirits before for Alox cleanup, and for wiping the lube off boolit noses. Unfortunately, it's a bit stinky for indoor use. It can also incur the wrath of the significant other.

One night I noticed the wife removing her makeup using Johnson's Baby Oil, and a little light went on in my head.

I use baby oil now for my Alox, and 45-45-10 cleanup needs. It's mostly a refined petroleum distillate byproduct anyways, (mineral oil, paraffin oil, liquid petrolatum) with a little added fragrance.

Just a dab on a rag, or a paper towel works just fine. It doesn't smell as bad as mineral spirits, and I can conveniently "borrow" it from the wife. I don't even have to go outside to the tool shed to get it. I've also found that baby oil doesn't dry out my skin, like mineral spirits does.

I now get "Gee that smells nice" rather than "Eww that stuff smells awful, maybe you should go outside, or open up a window or something".

Another convenient use, for an often readily available household product.

- Bullwolf

trixter
06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
There is always a terry cloth hand towel or two, that isn't used anymore in the rag-pile. I just use one of them to wipe off the nose of the boolit, really no solvent needed. About 3 of 4 twists and there you have it. This process always polishes the nose too. My reloads always get style points. LOL

rsrocket1
06-29-2013, 01:06 PM
I've used mineral spirits before for Alox cleanup, and for wiping the lube off boolit noses. Unfortunately, it's a bit stinky for indoor use. It can also incur the wrath of the significant other.

One night I noticed the wife removing her makeup using Johnson's Baby Oil, and a little light went on in my head.

I use baby oil now for my Alox, and 45-45-10 cleanup needs. It's mostly a refined petroleum distillate byproduct anyways, (mineral oil, paraffin oil, liquid petrolatum) with a little added fragrance.

Good idea. I use oderless mineral spirits in my 45/45/10 as well as for cleanup. I don't do it in the house, but in the garage, there is virtually no "stink".