PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Load in 7.62x54r

repawn
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi all,
I am putting together / testing a light load for my Mosin Nagant - I have only put together two rounds (I really need to get myself a neck expander.) I am using the Lee ctl312-160-2r as cast (.314) - my bore is .3115. The charge was 6.5gr of Universal with CCI LRP in S&B brass. So my two rounds fired fine at 25 yards and were accurate enough. It really felt like shooting a .22lr out of a 9lb rifle. I did notice that the case neck had some extra powder fouling and on one round the primer had pulled out a little (less than 1/2 way.) Just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong - Do I need to add a bit more powder and/or some dacron to the case?

Blammer
06-17-2013, 05:37 PM
a bit more powder will keep the sooty necks away and the backed out primers., work your way up and see what you get.

repawn
06-17-2013, 05:42 PM
a bit more powder will keep the sooty necks away and the backed out primers., work your way up and see what you get.

That is the answer I was hoping to get. Thanks

Larry Gibson
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Or....go to a faster burning powder like Bullseye......Or get a Lee 314-90-SWC, cast them of scrap softer alloy, lube lightly with LLA and load over 3.2 gr Bullseye for a real gallery load. You may not even need to size the necks or even expand/flare the case mouth if a good chamfer is done with the Lyman VLD inside neck reamer. Just deprime, reprime, put in powder, thumb press the bullet in and shoot. Know those cases that show signs of impending incipient case head seperation you were going to throw away (hope you haven't yet)? They work great for these loads and last practically forever.

Larry Gibson

repawn
06-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the ideas - I am using brass I would never use for full power loads - I like the idea of getting another mold :)

Larry Gibson
06-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas - I am using brass I would never use for full power loads - I like the idea of getting another mold :)

Getting another mould does have a certain appeal to it...........:drinks:

Larry Gibson

Might consider a Lee 314 sizer kit with the LLA if you don't already have it also.