PDA

View Full Version : Plain Based bullet wad / buffer question

NYBushBro
06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I have a question that I thought I'd pose to those who like to shoot PB rifle designs.

Would (or could) Buffer essentially be a viable alternative to the Paco Kelly polyethylene 'wads' glued to the bullet bases?

My thoughts tend to lean toward using this with OLD Ideal PB molds for obsolete rifle calibers: 35875 (for 35 Rem) , 410426 for .401 WSL, etc.

This way one could drive them closer to 1800-2000 fps without damaging the base.

I have the BPI Original buffer, and wouldn't mind picking up some PSB shotgun buffer (as mentioned in the Surplus Rifles website.)

If anyone has experience with this, please feel free to share your results.

45 2.1
06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
I have a question that I thought I'd pose to those who like to shoot PB rifle designs.

Would (or could) Buffer essentially be a viable alternative to the Paco Kelly polyethylene 'wads' glued to the bullet bases? Yes..........

My thoughts tend to lean toward using this with OLD Ideal PB molds for obsolete rifle calibers: 35875 (for 35 Rem) , 410426 for .401 WSL, etc. The 35 Rem will have enough room... the 401 WSL usually doesn't nor does it need filler to shoot full loads with that boolit.

This way one could drive them closer to 1800-2000 fps without damaging the base.
With enough room for the right amount of buffer and a correct powder charge, you can go further than that.

I have the BPI Original buffer, and wouldn't mind picking up some PSB shotgun buffer (as mentioned in the Surplus Rifles website.)

If anyone has experience with this, please feel free to share your results.
You might look into the Freechec option. With it and soft 8 BHN boolits you can go to about 2,000 fps with very minimal leading.

JeffinNZ
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
In my .32-20 I use a LPDE wad under my PB 31133 HP's over as much H4227 as I can get in the case. 14gr from memory. Produces 1850fps and SUPERB accuracy. LDPE is recycling mark 4 and is used for the likes of coffee can lids.