PDA

View Full Version : Favorite male actor. Do you have one?

WILCO
06-17-2013, 07:43 AM
I've been working my way through some classic movies and this thought came to me. John Wayne is my all time favorite, followed by a few others like Lee Marvin and Steve Mcqueen.

imashooter2
06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm partial to many of the films of Clint Eastwood (gotta wonder just what he was thinking with the ape movies though).

Bad Water Bill
06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Was there ever any one other than THE DUKE

Sasquatch-1
06-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Cary Grant

DeanWinchester
06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Norman Reedus, Ralph Fiennes, Chris Hemsworth, Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, Robert Duvall, Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser have all done my most favorite movies.

I would like to name a few that did movies I loved growing up but names like Arnold and Sylvester aren't appropriate for civilized conversation.

DCP
06-17-2013, 11:06 AM
John Wayne Tom Selleck and Morgan Freeman

scottiemom
06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Humphrey Bogart, Claude Raines, Gene Kelly, Bela Lugosi, Abbott and Costello

runfiverun
06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
bob hope and johnny depp, I also like spencer tracy, and dustin Hoffman.

429421Cowboy
06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Tom Sellick, a true American and cowboy that I'd like to sit down and have a beer with.

BSalty
06-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Clint Eastwood is my favorite. But I also like Tom Selleck and Steve McQueen. For comedians I can't decide between Bill Murray and W.C. Fields.

GabbyM
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Most of the above plus.
Tom Hanks has made some good ones.

ErikO
06-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Danny Trijo. For a scary looking Mexican-American, he's got a huge heart and helps out a lot of folks when he's not on set.

Dale in Louisiana
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Me! I go to work, listen to some of my idiot co-workers, and ACT like I care...

dale in Louisiana

ErikO
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Norman Reedus, Ralph Fiennes, Chris Hemsworth, Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, Robert Duvall, Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser have all done my most favorite movies.

I would like to name a few that did movies I loved growing up but names like Arnold and Sylvester aren't appropriate for civilized conversation.

Add all the above to my list as well.

PAI-Scott
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Older films, John Wayne, Newer films Bruce Willis
Honorable mentions goes to Sam Elliot for is role in "We were solders" I love that line when the he throws the M16 to the camera guy and the guy says "I am noncombatant" and Same says "no such thing today boy"

smokeywolf
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM
John Wayne!

Followed by Heston, Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster, Glenn Ford, Eastwood and Grant.

And, don't forget Ben Johnson. Great actor, man's man, a real cowboy as apposed to a cowboy actor, top horseman, the real deal. Like Slim Pickens who came to the Motion Picture Industry shortly after him, Ben Johnson came from the rodeo circuit (Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association's Team Roping World Champion in 1953).

smokeywolf

felix
06-17-2013, 05:26 PM
I have say the folks who matched the actors with the film's content is the real winner in most of the "great" movies. Naturally, the director obviously attatched the "heroes" in lots of these movies, such as Ford-Wayne; Hitchcock-Grant, etc. Gregory Peck was a natural cowboy at heart (from talk shows) but seldom played the part. Some directors wanted the actors to be one-take actors (Sinatra, ad lib type) to save film time, and others wanted actors to follow the "script" (Tracy, Burton) no matter what. And some directors liked to go with the flow by taking suggestions from the actors (Betty Davis, etc.) themselves during the course of the film no matter how many takes. ... felix

koehn,jim
06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Charles Bronson.

Bad Water Bill
06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
REAL COWBOYS? Weren't Roy Rodgers AND Gene Autry actually cowboys BEFORE they were hired for the movies?

Bullshop
06-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Berl Ives and Walter Brennen are a couple favorites. And another is Burt Lancaster in Valdez is coming and The Bird man of Alcatraz.

Jason30-30
06-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Humphrey Bogart & James Cagney

smokeywolf
06-17-2013, 08:04 PM
According to what I've read, Roy did little if any cowboying or ranch work before beginning his career in the Film Industry. Autry did some work on his father's ranch as a child, but following graduation from high school became a telegrapher.

smokeywolf

KYCaster
06-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Sam Elliot, Buck Taylor, Tom Selleck, because they still make Westerns, support the RKBA's, will sit down and have a beer with you, and they are alive.

Isn't that Lee Marvin in your avatar? IMO, his best role ever.

Humphrey Bogart, Claude Raines, Gene Kelly, Bela Lugosi, Abbott and Costello

Ditto....

bob hope and johnny depp, I also like spencer tracy, and dustin Hoffman.

I like Johnny Depp for his versatility.

REAL COWBOYS? Weren't Roy Rodgers AND Gene Autry actually cowboys BEFORE they were hired for the movies?

Nope......http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001678/bio

quilbilly
06-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Lee Marvin and John Wayne. I met Lee Marvin with his deer rifle on a trail during deer season many years ago. Wonderful guy. He wondered where I got that big string of trout in that supposedly dry country. That was 45+ years ago and still a fond memory.

richhodg66
06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Jimmy Stewart is probably my favorite. I've read a couple of biographies on him and he was the genuine article as a man as well as an actor.

MtGun44
06-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck are favorites. Love the scene in "We were soldiers" -

Sgt Major Plumely to Col Moore "Have you seen that new rifle."
Moore " The M16, newest technology."
Plumley "Feels like a BB gun to me, I think I'll stick to my .45"
Moore "Where we're going, you may need a rifle."
Plumley "If I need one, there will be plenty of them lying on the ground." (paraphrase from memory)

Selleck was superb in Quigley Down Under, and in several other great westerns.

Gotta say that "Open Range" is a favorite movie, so Costner and Duvall, HAVE TO be on the list. Certainly, The Duke is on the list near the top and Bruce Willis makes it, too.

I also enjoy Tom Cruise, and am continually amazed that he does essentially all of his own stunts. Besides being a really talented pilot and race car driver in real life. Not much for his religion, but
none of my business and he is pretty capable in real life, besides looking cool while he does it.

Mk42gunner
06-18-2013, 02:02 AM
In addition to many of the actors already listed, I have always liked James Garner. I grew up watching reruns of Maverick on Saturday afternoons.

Ithaca Gunner
06-18-2013, 05:52 AM
To add one to the list of fine actors, Brian Keith, he was fantastic as Teddy Roosevelt in, "The Wind And The Lion".

Sasquatch-1
06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
In addition to many of the actors already listed, I have always liked James Garner. I grew up watching reruns of Maverick on Saturday afternoons.

Anybody remember the name of the off road racer James Garner drove (in real life) back in the late 60's early 70's?

10-x
06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Moe,Larry and Curly.......:kidding: The Duke and Stewart, not many real ones left. Cause they are "actors" they think they know it all, way to political now. I say, shut up and play your part...........

Reverend Al
06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Me! I go to work, listen to some of my idiot co-workers, and ACT like I care ...

Never a truer word was spoken Dale!
:wink:

Reverend Al
06-18-2013, 01:32 PM
... and my personal all time favorite actor still has to be Steve McQueen ... I just loved his quiet and serious acting style!

Bad Water Bill
06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned BOB HOPE before. For an English born person he spent ? years entertaining OUR troops every Christmas somewhere around the world.

He could have spent that time at home with his family but chose to put a smile on a lot of military faces.

THANK YOU Bob, us old timers will not forget what you and your young ladies did for the vets.

GLL
06-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Freeman, Duvall, Eastwood, and Selleck are on my list !

Robert Ryan in "Billy Budd" was outstanding !

Jerry

Bullshop
06-18-2013, 03:30 PM
OH OH OH !!! How about Tommy Lee Jones in "Good Ol Boys""

Jammersix
06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
My list is based on acting skill, because I think you should be good at what you do. That eliminates a lot of folks who god knows why they got the part.

Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Tommy Lee Jones and Morgon Freeman, all tied for first place.

garym1a2
06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
I like the true heros like Audie Murphy, Jimmery Stewert, lee marvin and of course Bob hope for all he did.

boltaction308
06-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Sean Connery, THE James Bond, after all, he does have the coolest toys

gandydancer
06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Gene Autry"Orvon Grove Autry" was from texas. Roy rogers was from Cincinnati, Ohio,real name was Lenoard slye.

The best was Lee Marvin.

gunauthor
06-18-2013, 07:50 PM
The entire cast of "Blazing Saddles".......

wildwilly
06-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I liked equally a lot of the one's already listed....and among those not listed; Henry Fonda, Ward Bond, Hank Worden, Kirk Douglas, Spencer Tracy, and Paul Newman.

Travtastik
06-18-2013, 10:00 PM
The duke
Clint Eastwood
Seth Rogan not the same category as the other 2 but I find his stuff funny

LUCKYDAWG13
06-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Audie Murphy hands down

TES
06-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Kevin Spacey, Tim Roth, Liam Neilson, Jack Nicholson, Ben kingsley, Sean Connery, Robert Downy JR, Michael Cane, Alan Rickman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, John Travolta Sam Jackson, Sam Rockwell, Russel Crow, Geoffrey Rush, Jeremy Irons.

Many more!

JeffinNZ
06-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Tom Hanks. Forrest Gump is a classic. Saving Private Ryan also.

I rather liked Martin Sheen's president in "The West Wing".

TXGunNut
06-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Gee, see all the above and raise you Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. Never seen either in a bad movie, when they got together for Heat it was an historic moment. Think I need to watch it again this weekend.

Gliden07
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Comedies Gene Wilder, Chris Farley and John Candy. Action gotta be Bruce Willis.

Jammersix
06-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Heat is one of my favorite movies. But both those guys (as well as Tom Sizemore) have been in plenty of trash-- it's how one gets good. (Sizemore is so good at playing a sleezeball junkie because he is a sleaseball junkie. No points when you walk on camera and act natural. You only get points for A) my not even recognizing you, or B) portraying something completely alien to who you are, and doing so convincingly.)

This thread is fairly amazing-- the things people like never cease to amaze me. Saving Private Ryan was one of the worst movies, well, ever. It had no redeeming military accuracy, acting, writing or dialog. It was the first Ranger squad I've ever seen vote. Tom Hanks did some **** with a parachute and yelled "Currahee" on the David Letterman show, and then demonstrated that he's a wannabe. (He never served.) It was disgusting. If actors (like Tom Cruise) could learn to keep their damn mouths shut off camera, I'd be a lot happier.

Three44s
06-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Wayne is first for me.

Living: Duval

You did not ask for top movie and while I am not a movie person but one of my top picks would have to be Second Hand Lion (Duval and Michael Caine).

Three 44s

Jammersix
06-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Leon The Professional, and The Way of the Gun.

MTtimberline
06-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Another vote for John Wayne here.

Horace
06-19-2013, 12:34 AM
John Wayne!

Horace

Bzcraig
06-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Lots of good names tossed around most of whom I enjoy. Some of the guys I really enjoyed not quite as famous as those mentioned were Robert Mitchum, Ernie Borgnine and Clint Walker. It's a shame recent generations didn't have a steady diet of westerns and WWII flicks to help solidify responsible living and positive values instead of the $&)/: being transmitted over the airwaves. I just made myself laugh writing airwaves!

EDG
06-19-2013, 01:05 AM
I have to snicker at the amazingly serious critics.
Robert Duval

MakeMineA10mm
06-19-2013, 01:30 AM
John Wayne, with a couple exceptions/variations, was always the same guy no matter what role. But, wow! WHAT a guy!!! He's the ideal of an American to a patriotic American, hence why we love him so much (and rightfully so).

As far as flexibility and/or acting ability over a wide variety of roles, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, & Tom Hanks leap out in my memory.

There are tons of other A-list actors, but without the variety or extent of roles as above. One who deserves special mention is William Holden. Also, Steve McQueen could really deliver lines, act without speaking, and exuded "tough."

Lee Marvin, Yul Brynner, and Sam Elliot have the best voices.

My favorite "supporting actor" cowboys are Ben Johnson and James Coburn. Non-cowboy supporting actors I really like are Willem Dafoe and Ed Harris.

of the actors alive today, who would I like to hang out with? Tom Selleck.

Pepe Ray
06-19-2013, 01:44 AM
How about a REAL cowboy, like Ben Johnson, or Slim Pickens.
Someone who knows about blisters and broken bones.
Pepe Ray

Bad Water Bill
06-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Since supporting actors and cowboys have been mentioned How about Col Potter(don't remember his name)from Mash and Badge 714. He played in many westerns and then there is the man that appeared in BIG SKY. "BAD WATER BILL".

Sasquatch-1
06-19-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Andy Devine. Who can forget that unforgettable whine to his voice.

stubshaft
06-19-2013, 06:04 AM
John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Charlie Bronson and Errol Flynn.

Lloyd Smale
06-19-2013, 06:07 AM
all time favorite the duke of course. Right now favorites a toss up between Mark Walhburg (who didnt like shooter) and bruce willis

smokeywolf
06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Bill, that was Harry Morgan. I've enjoyed his acting since I was a kid watching Dragnet.

I have to add a few more to my list. I've met or spent time around these folks...

Harrison Ford

George Kennedy - Short story - I was eating my usual (Friday) bowl of clam chowder at a table in front of the MGM commissary. Out the door and down the steps comes George Kennedy. I guess my lower jaw was hovering dangerously close to the bowl of chowder. He stopped, held out his hand and said, "Hi, I'm George Kennedy". All I could do is nod my head while I shook his hand. The only time in my life I've been "star struck". Saw him around the studio many times after that; he always waved and said hello. Aside from being a wonderful actor, a very polite, friendly and courteous gentleman.

Slim Pickens - My father and Slim were out riding horseback around Universal's back lot at the very moment that my mother was in labor with me. Slim was a fairly regular visitor to our house during the mid to late 50s.

William Devane - Came into the Studio Machine Shop one day and asked if anybody could do some sheet metal work for him. I took him into the Sheet Metal Shop and fabricated an aluminum box, shield or something (can't remember exactly what it was) for him while he waited. He was very friendly and easy going.

Val Kilmer - A little aloof, but polite. Really enjoyed his characterization of Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Wilford Brimley - Had a calf roping dummy set up outside of stage 12. He would practice his roping between takes of "Our House". He was better than most with a lariat.

Michael Landon - Back when Michael was doing Highway to Heaven, one of his production crew who had been with him since Bonanza, announced to Michael's right hand man that he was quitting. When questioned as to why, the crew member admitted that he'd accrued gambling debts adding up to tens of thousands of dollars and was going to sell his house to pay them off and move up to Seattle to live with relatives. Michael's assistant told him of this and Michael went to the crew member handed him a check for the entire debt and told the guy to enroll in a gambling addiction program and pay him back when he could.
He was the only producer that was never struck or picketed or had any kind of work or labor action against him. Every prop maker, grip, set lighting man, electrician, effects man, script girl and everyone else wanted to work for Michael Landon.
The whole studio was in mourning when he passed away.

Dan Blocker - Ran into him in the grocery store in about 1969. My mother talked with him for several minutes.

smokeywolf

Echo
06-19-2013, 11:04 AM
... and my personal all time favorite actor still has to be Steve McQueen ... I just loved his quiet and serious acting style!
One critic said that McQueen played the 'Bullit' part with clenched hair...

Echo
06-19-2013, 11:13 AM
I've got to cast another vote for Tom Cruise. I went to see 'Jack Reacher' to sneer at 5'8" Cruise trying to play 6'5" Reacher, and he pulled it off! He was outstanding in 'Collateral', too. He studied, and trained, hard for that part. A danged Good Actor!

scb
06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Just so he get mentioned, Gregory Peck.

GabbyM
06-20-2013, 01:08 AM
One critic said that McQueen played the 'Bullit' part with clenched hair...

do you like McQueen and that's a joke or are your serious in that critique?

McQueen will be in my book as in his real life he drove a tank through a bar full of jerks. Only problem was they hear that tank coming from a mile out and ran away. After prison McQueen made something of himself. Played a prisoner in a couple movies.

GabbyM
06-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Watched The Law Man tonight.

Burt Lancaster and Robert Duvall when he was a young man. 1971.
Long list of other big names.

Wooly
06-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Goes without saying Duke Wayne is #1. Most recently I have become a fan of Johnny Depp.A recent favorite western is Appaloosa with Ed Harris & Viggo Mortenson. Both under appreciated actors & a great film. Made me buy the other books in the series,bad move,they suck.

abunaitoo
06-20-2013, 03:43 AM
Hands down Mr. James Stewart.

But....
Tom Selleck
Sam Elliot
Clint Eastwood
Steve McQueen
Robert Duvall
John Wayne
Humphrey Bogart
Johnny Depp
Sean Connery
Paul Newman
Jack Nicholson
Al Pacino
Robert De Niro
Slim Pickens
Marlon Brando
Adam Beach
Van Johnson
James Earl Jones

Gliden07
06-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Since supporting actors and cowboys have been mentioned How about Col Potter(don't remember his name)from Mash and Badge 714. He played in many westerns and then there is the man that appeared in BIG SKY. "BAD WATER BILL".

His name is Harry Morgan. He just passed away in 2011 at 96!!

waksupi
06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Jack Elam needs thrown into the mix.

wallenba
06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
I always thought the way Spencer Tracy carried himself, and his dry wit that came through, even when he was acting, was cool. I remember some of the real old goofy movies he starred in. Captains Courageous, Adams rib, A guy named Joe, Bad day at black rock, and of course, It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world. And a personal old favorite of mine, The old man and the sea.

felix
06-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Jack Elam has to be admired as a man rather than as an actor, first and foremost, because he is/was a family man extraordinaire. He took no leading parts until his 12(?) children flew the coup and even then did not get any awards later? He was known as an eight-to-five-er employee by his directors. ... felix

shdwlkr
06-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Jimmy Stewart a very distant relative and real american
Yes there are others but family has to come first

TheDoctor
06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Seriously guys, only one mention so for of Marlon Brando? Seriously? What about Jack Palance? No one now days can act like they could. No one. And how can everyone not tremble with fear for not saying Chuck Norris?:grin: Watch yourself......

mac60
06-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. I haven't seen the name Lee Van Cleef yet.

badbob454
06-20-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm partial to many of the films of Clint Eastwood (gotta wonder just what he was thinking with the ape movies though).yeah... seconds on that
lets see john wayne #1 clint eastwood #2 arnold swartzeneggar #3 hope i spelled that ok..oh yeah Mark Walhburg...
and last but not least lee marvin....

dagger dog
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
McQueen in Papillion

Jimmy Stewart, Flight of the Phoenix, Fire Creek. He was a WWII B 24 bomber pilot, 445 BG European theater, the big brass made him stop flying at about 10 missions threatened to bust him and make him fly the right seat if he didn't comply, said he was to valuable as a talking head for the war effort.

Paul Newman in Elmore Leonard's Hombre, he has a modern persona as Rayland Givens in the Justified series

Timothy Olyphant in Elmore Leonard's Justified as Rayland Givens a modern Eastern KY gun hand.

Jammersix
06-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Kathleen Turner.

WILCO
06-23-2013, 06:03 AM
I haven't seen the name Lee Van Cleef yet.

Yeah, I plumb forgot about good Ol' Lee Van Cleef!

1Shirt
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
The Duke, followed by most of the others mentioned!
1Shirt!

Lloyd Smale
06-24-2013, 05:59 AM
just watched the expendables 2 last night. Kind of a silly movie like most action movies can tend to be but it sure had a pile of good action actors in it. told my wife if eastwood and bronson would have been in it they would have covered every action actor i grew up with.

WILCO
07-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Bump to the top!

Pb2au
07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
William Powell
Cary Grant
Humphrey Bogart

Piedmont
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
This is a funny thread because you get a good idea of the age of the posters. When every actor listed has been dead for thirty years, the poster is probably getting long in the tooth. When Johnny Depp and Mark Wahlberg on the list, the poster is probably young.

oldgeezershooter
07-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Hows come Steve Cochran hasn't been mentioned?
"Heine! Get back to that there tank!"