PDA

View Full Version : Fly gun.,.Anyone?

hithard
06-17-2013, 12:13 AM
http://www.bugasalt.com/about/

Anyone got one?

44Vaquero
06-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Cool idea, but $40 bucks and a 3 foot range not so cool.

Bad Water Bill
06-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Cool idea, but $40 bucks and a 3 foot range not so cool.

Fly swatters are much cheaper and no salt spilled.

It is bad luck don't ya know?

missionary5155
06-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Good morning
That is what rubber band "guns" are for.
Mike in Peru

shredder
06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
It sure looks like fun to me! In addition to the bug zapper badminton racket, this will make a heck of a "back deck gun" for pest control.

captaint
06-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't know. I just don't see anything wrong with the old fly swatter !! It works. Mike

popper
06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Rubber band from the trigger finger.

Baja_Traveler
06-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I have 2 - got in on the ground floor of funding, so only paid $20 each. My first one is broken already - really bad trigger pull, then it would not fire at all. I disassembled it to find an over complicated trigger mechanism held in by numerous springs (a few of which shot off someplace during disassembly). Second one is still in the box.
Bottom line - it works when it's working, but the wife was complaining of seeing salt on all the kitchen counters. I think getting a simple break action air rifle, and blasting the flies with a simple shot of air is just as effective (and you have the option of loading a pellet for the backyard rodents).

KCSO
06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Black powder derringer and a cap only.

10x
06-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Black powder derringer and a cap only.

I have used a colt 1860 Army with a plastic kids cap. That will drop a fly at 4 feet.

dbosman
06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I was a state park ranger for three years. The midnight shift is mostly waiting for morning and dealing with a few customers. Lots and lots of flys attracted to the light in the camp ground office with no screens on doors or windows.
We did have lots of rubber bands. ;-)
It's amazing how accurately you can shoot a rubber band off your finger after hours of practice.
Yes, the ceiling had thousands of fly specs. Very few people asked about our ceiling "paint" job.

firefly1957
06-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Another vote for the rubber band weather from the finger or a pistol made for them they make a fly dead.

L Ross
06-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Heck my brother and I used to shoot flies all the time almost 50 years ago. We loaded duck pellets into our break action pellet gun from the breech and muzzle loaded a Daisy air rifle with a long piece of brazing rod for a ram rod. Duck pellets, rabbit pellets,, trout pellets etc. are compressed ground feed in a pellet form. We would bait the flies on the back porch of the farm house with a little jelly. We found if you shot a half inch to an inch in front of the fly the pellet would shatter and shred the fly with shrapnel. A direct hit would leave a smear of red fly guts on the wood. Some time the pellets would be a little smaller in diameter and we would paper patch them with toilet paper. We also made custom mouse bats with bicycle handle bar grips on a wooden club, but that's a different topic.

Duke

missionary5155
06-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Good morning
Maybe we need to start a "rat bashing" thread.
Mike in Peru

popper
06-19-2013, 11:49 AM
It's amazing how accurately you can shoot a rubber band off your finger after hours of practice Took me about a week in 7th grade. New school without AC or screens installed. Teachers got used to the snap-snap sound. Self defense was allowed back then. When you get really good, they just pop off the desk onto the floor, no spot left. If you got caught with a paper clip on the band -- trouble.