PDA

View Full Version : load data needed

garbear
06-16-2013, 09:07 PM
I am just starting to load cast bullets for my 9mm. I am shooting a Walther P99 and love the gun. I received a mold from a group buy. I got the NOE bevel base 9mm mold. My bullets ate dropping at 136 grain hollow point. I only have to powders to use for this. I have bullseye and herco. Can some one post start and loads and max loads for 136 grain bullet for herco and bullseye powder. I know would suggest this powder or try this other powder but right now my local sports store is out. I have 2 pounds each of these powders.
Thanks
garbear

Jupiter7
06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Have a manual? I'd use low start data of relative weight jacketed bullet. Work up for function, then accuracy.

runfiverun
06-17-2013, 12:06 AM
herco is a click slower than unique, many times I have just started with starting unique data and worked from there.
I generally end up about a grain higher.
you'll have a pretty full case with it in the 9m though.
i'd just start with 124 gr data for the bulls eye.

azjohn
06-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Try here.
http://castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php

ku4hx
06-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Have a manual? I'd use low start data of relative weight jacketed bullet. Work up for function, then accuracy.

This. Manuals are far more than just a collection of load data; every hand loader needs at least one good manual/handbook. Lyman has been my choice for decades, but I also have many by Speer, Hornady and etc.

dverna
06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Herco is not listed for the 9mm - so it is not a good choice. It is too slow a powder.

You can start with a light load of Bullseye as it is listed for the 124 gr. Maybe start at 3.5 gr. as your bullet is a tad heavier.

I use 231 for the 9mm but Blue Dot will likely give the maximum velocity if that is what turns your crank.

garbear
06-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a load manuel but doesn't list that heavy of a boolit. Thanks for the help.
Garbear

mdi
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
No offence to the OP, but, this is exactly why I find load data before I drop a bunch of $$ on components. BTDT! I got a "deal" on 1K cast bullets which were an odd weight for the caliber and the powders I had on hand didn't "fit" what little data I could find. Now if you wanna size that 136 gr. HP to .358" and shoot it in a .38/.357 that's a different story...

chutestrate
06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Hmm, instead of working up to a load with lighter bullets what about using data for a 147gr?

Tatume
06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Whenever experimenting with load data a chronograph is invaluable. Do not exceed velocities listed in reputable loading manuals even if it appears that your load is safe. If you're getting more speed than is listed in the manuals, then you're making more pressure than the listed loads. There is no free lunch.

Note that the converse does not apply. You may never reach the listed speeds with safe loads. Do not exceed the charges listed in reputable loading manuals.

mdi
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Hmm, instead of working up to a load with lighter bullets what about using data for a 147gr?
Yep!:drinks:

ku4hx
06-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I have a load manuel but doesn't list that heavy of a boolit. Thanks for the help.
Garbear

Most of my molds don't cast exactly what the literature says it should and some vary by several grains. There are a variety of reasons for that, but mostly it's because I don't use the exact alloy on which the mold was standardized. And when manufacturing tolerances are added into the picture, this situation is often exacerbated. My sole mold I can truthfully say casts as advertised is my Lyman 429215. In straight Linotype metal, it consistently drops at so close to 210 grains the difference is insignificant. Lyman even states in their manual "(Linotype)" out beside the boolit's weight. When I cast using my favored alloy, it's weight is 223 grains ... 228 with GC and lube.

But for the majority of molds, you have to employ the "artsy" part of the hobby and be safely creative. For a 136 grain boolit, I'd use a starting load for 147 and go from there working up slowly as is the usual case.

Mallard57
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Herco is not listed for the 9mm - so it is not a good choice. It is too slow a powder.
I've found Herco to be a pretty good powder in the 9mm.

garbear
06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
I am going to use the 147 grain load data I have been able to find. One more question though. I am sizing the boolits using my .358 sizer and I slugged my bore. My reading as are .355. I am assuming I need to either to size .356 0r .357. I have load some up for my 357 mag and will be testing them in that gun. Either way this mold is nice.
Garbear