PDA

View Full Version : lubes for molds

mrblue
06-16-2013, 02:49 AM
just wondering what everybody uses to lube their molds after a session of casting? I would like to use wd40.

hermans
06-16-2013, 02:58 AM
Do not lube mine at all, takes too much effort to get them clean again before the next casting session. Just put them in an air tight container with some silica dessicant, which once a year gets reactivated in the microwave oven.

trying2learn
06-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Do not lube mine at all, takes too much effort to get them clean again before the next casting session. Just put them in an air tight container with some silica dessicant, which once a year gets reactivated in the microwave oven.

Same here.

dromia
06-16-2013, 03:50 AM
I don't lube my moulds after use either, unless they were being put away for long term storage, because of the need to get them oil free for use next time.

Mine just sit on shelves in the boxes they came in the unheated garage which is my casting workshop. I have never had and rusting rusting issues and I'm in the damp UK.

ku4hx
06-16-2013, 04:52 AM
Except for long term storage, I don't oil 'em down; when I do, I don't use WD-40. I happen to like WD-40 but for iron alloy molds I use a good gun oil.

When I cleaned the Cosmoline out of my Garands (cleaning kit storage hole), I kept it. I've used some of it for really long term iron mold preservative. As far as I can tell, it works just fine.

btroj
06-16-2013, 07:00 AM
No oil, ever. I spend too much time and effort getting them clean to just put it back when I am done.

res45
06-16-2013, 08:43 AM
I bought a couple old Lyman iron molds at a estate sale a couple years ago. Ed Harris or C. E. Harris who wrote the NRA Cast Bullet manual and supplements recommended that I just coat my iron molds with a light coat of USP Mineral Oil for storage if rusting can be an issue.

There is no need to clean the mold before casting as the mineral oil burns off cleanly as the mold is preheated on a hot plate before casting leaving no residue and only producing a wisp of white smoke as it burns off. I've used this method for years with no issues.

375RUGER
06-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Too much trouble to clean. If you need to store so they won't rust, try a sealed ammo can with dessicant.

Lance Boyle
06-16-2013, 10:28 AM
I bought a couple old Lyman iron molds at a estate sale a couple years ago. Ed Harris or C. E. Harris who wrote the NRA Cast Bullet manual and supplements recommended that I just coat my iron molds with a light coat of USP Mineral Oil for storage if rusting can be an issue.

There is no need to clean the mold before casting as the mineral oil burns off cleanly as the mold is preheated on a hot plate before casting leaving no residue and only producing a wisp of white smoke as it burns off. I've used this method for years with no issues.

That's a great tip. I already have mineral oil on hand to keep my straight razor from rusting.

Scharfschuetze
06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
That is great idea. Ed Harris has been a real wealth of knowledge over the years.

Vorga
06-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I use Kroil oil and don't drop the last bullets in the mold till next time I use it on my steel molds . I do nothing to my aluminum molds except put them up .