PDA

View Full Version : Range Trip!

TXGunNut
06-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Met an old friend today at the range where I recently bought a membership. Place has really improved since I was there last and many folks were enjoying the day there. Been awhile and I had some recent acquisitions that needed shooting.
NIB 3rd Gen Colt is no more! Just another minty shooter now, cylinder gap a bit tight for BP & lead but it's a pretty awesome shooter.
Old worn-out Army Special in 32-20 was a little tack-driver! Bore looks like a sewer pipe and the ratchet is junk but fired single action it had no problem maintaining a 1" offhand group @ 10 yds. I think this old beater is going to the gunsmith's for a little TLC.
Put a new Redfield scope and a surplus stock on a ragged old Winchester 670 I found awhile back and it shoots nearly as well as my old (shot-out) 670 once did. Had 2 groups of three rounds under an inch! I was just sighting it in with some j-word hunting loads, not bad for a spare rifle! Old beast outshoots my new Super Grade and M77 both, and they shoot pretty good for hunting rifles.
Only disappointment was my 336 in 35 Rem. Put a new Redfield 2-7 scope on it but just couldn't get things to settle down and shoot. Best I could do today was +/- 3" @ 100 but it's capable of well under 2".
My friend got to shoot his old TD 99 and a 1896-built 94 in 30-30. He's shooting PB boolits over Unique, Savage liked them pretty well but the 94 wanted a fatter boolit, we think. He burned a little BP in his Ruger in 45 Colt, just to prove that his newly cut forcing cone was no longer dragging.:wink: He offered to let me use his tool to cut my Colt's forcing cone, think I'll take him up on that.

DRNurse1
06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey Texas, you got home to tell us about the trip at 2AM! Did you spend the rest of the time jack-lighting hogs or coyotes?

TXGunNut
06-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Nope, been busy grinding up a brisket and making a couple of batches of wild hog sausage. Hunting season isn't far off and I need to clear out the freezer. If I don't start eating or giving away more game I won't need to take a cooler to deer camp this year, damn sure won't bring it home full.