PDA

View Full Version : How much difference is there in a magnum primer vs standard primer?

possom813
06-16-2013, 01:05 AM
I just loaded up 100rds of 9mm with the Lyman 356242 121gr boolit.

3.3grs of titegroup and 3.5grs of titegroup(different loads to play with)

I did not realize that I had put in CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers in the cases until just a minute ago.

Max load is listed at 3.8grs of titegroup in Lyman 49th. Then on Hodgdon's site, it lists 115gr boolit at 3.9-4.3grs of titegroup and 124gr LCN(?) at 3.6-4.0

Will they be safe to shoot, or do I need pull them down and start over?

ku4hx
06-16-2013, 05:01 AM
My 9mm CCI magnum pistol primer tests with my cases, my boolits, my guns, my powder of choice and my charge weight of choice say it's not a big deal with low to mid range loads. No data on near max and I don't plan to have any, but I'd say your fine. Some magnum primers are indeed stronger, but they're not little nuclear bombs just waiting to be touched off.

If you search the web, you'll find hundreds (thousands?) of questions exactly like yours. Many people advocate caution and don't do it, but many offer their experiences and say it's no big deal. If it were me, I'd shoot 'em. But that's me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magnum+primers+in+9mm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Tatume
06-16-2013, 06:45 AM
As I have been unable to find any standard primers for sale, but have had opportunities to buy magnum primers, I did. Yesterday I did a test comparing the two. Using Remington 2-1/2 standard large pistol primers, CCI 350 magnum large pistol primers, and two different military surplus powders, M9 and #105, I prepared four samples of test ammo. M9 and #105 powders were obtained from Jeff Bartlett at GIBrass.com. Burning rate appears to be similar to Unique. The two powders appear to be the same, but do not meter the same. M9 charges throw a little bit lighter than #105. The difference could easily be attributed to them being different lots of the same powder.

The test cartridge was the 41 Remington Magnum with 240 gr LBT WFN GC bullet. Moderate loads of each powder were assembled using standard primers, and loads using 1/2 grain less powder were assembled with magnum primers. Five shots of each combination were fired over the chronograph. Mean velocities of the four treatments were compared using ANOVA. There were no significant differences in average velocities, which were all very close to 1150 fps.

Magnum and standard primer velocities were pooled and variances were compared using the F test. There was no significant difference. However, it appeared to the Mk I eyeball that there may be a difference in variance, and a repeat test with a larger sample size might indicate a significant difference, with magnum primer loads being more variable. However, given that the difference is not significant at this level, even if found to be different with a larger sample size it probably is not important.

In conclusion, substituting magnum primers with an appropriate adjustment in charges and avoiding maximum loads can be a successful expedient during times of primer shortages.

jonp
06-16-2013, 06:53 AM
I've switched on occasion and with low to mid-range loads,have noticed no difference with 9mm, 45acp, 44mag or 45lc. In a well functioning, well made firearm i'd shoot them up. I would stay away from max loads out of caution but thats me

44man
06-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Not much difference in SP primers, you are good to go.

Sasquatch-1
06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
I my 357 BH with a 125 grn lead tc bullet and 4.5 grn of unique I have found the CCI sp mag primers make the round more accurate. Although in my 2" S&W mod 10 I have been having some ignition problems. I believe it may be seating depth since the round will go off on the second strike.

My daughter also has problems with setting the CCI's off with her Ruger SR9. Even after returning it to Ruger.

As far as your load goes, I have never used Titegroup so I can't comment on that.

Shiloh
06-16-2013, 08:31 AM
It could be an issue if you shoot maximum or near max loads. I never go very close to max loads and have not had an issue.
Use tried and true load development techniques, or just back down a bit.

Shiloh

Jack Stanley
06-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I've ended up with magnum pistol primers from trades , all pistol primers no rifle stuff as of yet . Since I rarely load pistols and revolvers to where such primers are really useful , I've used them in place of small rifle primers . Now I will quickly point out that I don't load the ammo anywhere near pressures that would be to much for a pistol primer . The loads were more a means of using up what I had not looking for the last bit of velocity .

I've used both CCI and Winchester small pistol magnum primers and got good loads from both . Now that those primers are gone I can try using small rifle primers for one of the loads . I am interested to see the difference in accuracy between the Winchester small pistol magnum and the Winchester small rifle primers . Just for what it's worth , all this has been with the .223 Remington case .

Jack

possom813
06-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I appreciate the information gentlemen.

It was just quite aggravating, I used small magnum primers in a load worked up for the .38 and another for the .357, but those were loads that were worked up with the 550's.

This was a mistake on grabbing the wrong primers from the cabinet. I'm still not sure how I did that, or what I was thinking when I did. I'm pretty darn meticulous when it comes to making ammunition.

On a better note, I suppose it pays, in more ways than one, to load on the light side.

retread
06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
I use which ever one are available at the time. Another twist is Winchester pistol primers that state "for standard or magnum loads".

Petrol & Powder
06-16-2013, 11:49 PM
I might stay away from max loads but I've never had a problem with substituting magnum primers for standard small pistol primers. I have seen magnum primers yield more consistent velocity with light loads but no corresponding improvement in accuracy. I think you're fine with the stated loads.

ku4hx
06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
My daughter also has problems with setting the CCI's off with her Ruger SR9. Even after returning it to Ruger.

Shortly after my wife bought three Ruger SR guns. I spent a little time on the Ruger pistol forum. A constantly recurring question was/is about this very issue. The general consensus was you need to clean the striker channel of gunk and such the factory tends to leave there. My wife's were all clear and she's never had a problem with CCI or any others for that matter. Someone even commented it was his experience the guns with black slides (carbon steel?) were usually the ones with the "gunky" problems. Wife's are all stainless slides so I can't really say anything about that.

And since my wife learned on a Glock, she strongly disliked the fact you have to have a magazine in place when you dry fire or you risk damaging the striker. Her SR guns are now without the magazine safeties which many say contribute to light strikes.

fecmech
06-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Back a few years ago in the last primer shortage I bought some CCI small rifle primers because I couldn't get any pistol primers. I chrono'd them in my standard 158/5.0 Unique load through my lever gun and found practically no difference. Velocity with Mag Tech sp primers was 1066 fps and with CCI sr primers it was 1079 fps. The extreme spread and SD were higher with the rifle primers but accuracy was the same at 100 yds. I am currently shooting some Remington SR primers (from the 60's) that I bought from a fellow for $15./1000 in my K38.

PS. One thing I have noticed is that ballistics with 296/H110 in the .357 mag are extremely uniform using rifle primers. Using those powders and a slow lot of WC820 I get single digit sd's with sr primers.

cheetah
06-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Magnum primers are for hard to light powders. Pistol powders burn fast as is and can't be made to burn faster by applying additional heat. I'd be more concerned about using a standard primer to ignite a big case of slow powder.

Iron Mike Golf
06-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Her SR guns are now without the magazine safeties which many say contribute to light strikes.

Doubtful that removing that safety will cause light strikes. You do have to periodically clean the striker channel, not just to remover factory shipping grease. Over time, bits of brass will find their way in there. The extractor claw will pull shaving off the case. It will build up, combine with some carbon, and pack itself in between the striker and the tunnel wall.

mdi
06-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Is you handgun capable of +P pressures? Your 3.8 load with the addition of magnum primers may only bump the pressure a bit and mebbe put it into the +P category...

prs
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
I just purchased a case of Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers from Midway and will now have two cases to work with. I also keep my loads on the conservative side, typically getting to my sweet spot less than half way between start and max charge. In scarce times, you make adjustments. I will work-up loads from start again when using the "mags".

prs

truckjohn
06-27-2013, 03:04 PM
I did some primer testing of my own last year...

To sum up...
YES.. There is a difference..

In general - reduce powder about 1/2 grain UNLESS you were already using Winchester primers... With Winchester primers - it's about the same... When starting with "Match" primers - it's usually more than 1/2 grain difference because those tend to run cooler....

Thanks