PDA

View Full Version : In defence of midway

Bad Water Bill
06-15-2013, 08:48 PM
:twisted:Recently I ordered 2 mags for my Browning Hi Power. Shipping was by UPS to my PO then to me. $4.78 and took 4 days.

Natches has Promags in stock so I ordered 2 from them. Shipping was by DHL to a PO in Ga ??? I live in Il. then to my PO. Time was 8 days and cost me $10.66.

All 4 mags weigh about the same and are the same size so why over 2 times the price and double the delivery time.

If I wanted the mags shipped UPS like Midway the shipping would have been $14.99. $10.00 + more than Midway.

Natchez will have to wait a long time before they see me again.:twisted:

jmort
06-15-2013, 08:54 PM
I think customers' voting by $$$ has encouraged Midway to clean-up a bit. My main spots are Titan (Sponsor here), Ballistic Products, Cabelas, Midway, and Gamaliel.

DougGuy
06-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Brownell's is following Midway, last small box of Ruger grip screws and other small parts was 5.95 I think.

I shop with Titan as well.. Another one that does good is FC reloading, which is or used to be Lee's factory outlet.

dragon813gt
06-15-2013, 08:56 PM
You always have to compare shipping between vendors. Sometimes you get a good rate and other times you don't. I've never had high charges from Natchez and I live in PA. Midway has been good as of late. And Brownells is always great. Every order is different so I stopped putting the blame on the vendors.

Love Life
06-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Recently did a price comparison between Midway and Grafs this week on some 6mm bullets and .243 Winchester dies.

Grafs had Midway beat by a couple $$$ so I figured I would buy from them. When I hit the check out button I got the "Order will be take a week to process." Psh. That is for the birds...

I ordered from Midway instead and got a "Your product has shipped" that same day.

When other companies can solve the Masonic puzzle that allows you to process and ship in a timely manner then I will spend my money there. Until then, Mr. Potterfield has it figured out.

Mk42gunner
06-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't like DHL. Shortly after I retired I ordered something over the internet, I think it was parts for a tiller, and was notified that it was being shipped by DHL (2nd day). Three weeks later, I happened to be home when the phone rang, caller I.D. said Airborne something. It was DHL wanting to know how to find my house.

Meanwhile I had called the company I ordered parts from several times and told them to refund my money, I had paid to have the stuff here in two days, etc., I ended up getting the parts locally faster.

I go out of my way not to give DHL any money.

Robert

Iowa Fox
06-15-2013, 10:23 PM
One thing about Larry P. He gives back to the shooting/outdoors industry via donations and sponsoring many TV shows. I thank him for this. I'm sure though that it pays him back in increased sales.

xs11jack
06-15-2013, 11:07 PM
I like Midway because he has things that Graf's doesn't. But I check Graf's prices on the things they have because they have a store about 10 miles from me. No shipping and the accompaining time lag.
Ole jack

375RUGER
06-15-2013, 11:18 PM
I didn't even know DHL started doing domestics again.

leeggen
06-15-2013, 11:37 PM
I orderd some supplies four wks ago got items that were in stock asap. Other items i new were backorderd. Suposed to be in stock by the 7 of June, rec'd them on the 5 of june. yes I paid extra in shipping but I got my order as promised only earlier. Shipping was paid twice but nothing new in times like we have now. Atleast they are trying to get the items to you as soon as posible. Can you imagine the amount of shelving it would take to hold every order until all items were in???????
CD

Matt85
06-16-2013, 12:06 AM
midway is ok if they have the item in stock. DO NOT BACK ORDER from them or you will likely regret it. Grafs is a little slow at the moment but their customer service is top notch and ive been treated very well every time ive done business with them.

a little off topic but Rotometals also has really great customer service, my last order shipped within 2 hours of being placed and it was ordered after 12pm!

-matt

JIMinPHX
06-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I've been generally happy with Midway across the board.

Their back order methods haven't always been to my liking, but that's the only fly in the ointment that I've found when dealing with them.

If I shop around hard, I can sometimes find a price that is slightly below what they ask, but it's never been a big difference. It's never been enough to overcome the ease of buying the wide range of things that they actually keep in stock from a single vendor.

dragon813gt
06-16-2013, 07:58 AM
I didn't even know DHL started doing domestics again.

I wasn't aware either. I thought they pulled out years ago. It was a shame they couldn't get it together here. They were great for international shipments w/ reasonable rates.

marlin39a
06-16-2013, 08:39 AM
I've been coming back to Midway for supplies after a 3 year boycott. It got to the point years back where their shipping was out of bounds for me. I began buying again this past Winter. Reasonable costs, and fast shipping. I am again a happy Midway customer.

Bad Water Bill
06-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Midway shipped my 2 magazines in a tyvek type bubble wrap envelope.

Natches shipped 2 magazines in a cardboard box large enough to house their new FREE catalog and about 5"deep. I am positive DHL only is concerned in the size and weight of a package. I am saving Natches the price and handling $ to get their FREE catalog to me that went directly into the recycle bin. :evil:

Epd230
06-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I placed an order with Midway about two months ago. All items were on back order. Not a big deal considering the current atmosphere.

I assumed they would hold shippment until all items were in stock. I then received an email saying three of the items were in. I choose to add them to my cart and pay additional shipping to get them now.

About a week later, I got another email saying another item was in stock. I did not add the item to the cart and instruct them to mail it, because I did not want the extra $8+ in shipping. They mailed it anyway.

I do not fault Midway and have to just consider this a learning experience. I would not have placed the order had I known the total cost with the different shipping charges.

Boerrancher
06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't like ordering from Natchez and only do so when they run a close out on something I want and need a lot of, then several friends and I make a huge order and split the shipping. It is the only way you can come out a head when buying from Natchez. Most of my mail order stuff is from mid south and Track of the Wolf. If I need something from Grafs or Midway I just drive there and get it.

NSP64
06-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Natchez who?
Lol

doctorggg
06-16-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree, Natchez has gone overboard on shipping charges. i just had the same experience as Bad Water Bill .

rattletrap1970
06-16-2013, 05:17 PM
I like Graff for add all stuff, I got some 7.35 Carcano brass there and I got to find out what an enjoyable rifle that is to shoot.

Horace
06-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I use them all.

Horace