PDA

View Full Version : Standard lube on Lee Tumble lube boolit??

kens
06-15-2013, 05:06 PM
What happens if you use a lubrisizer on a TL boolit?
Is the lube grooves to shallow to do any good?

mroliver77
06-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I use the same boolit as excess650 in some 30 cal. I size .311 and use Felix lube. Most boolits carry too much of this lube. I see no evidence of lube starvation so I spose it's working.

dromia
06-16-2013, 04:02 AM
I used to use a Lee TL boolit in my .38S&W pistols with 50/50 stick lube in my lube sizer. I just lubed the boolits in the sizer didn't reduce their diameter and the TL grooves held sufficient stick lube for that round at least.

As has been said it all depends on your application and if the sized boolit will hold sufficient lube for your purpose.

ku4hx
06-16-2013, 04:44 AM
I tried that once just to see; seemed to work fine. But I wasn't sizing down but .001" or so. Since you can always recycle a test boolit, you too can try it and see.

Shiloh
06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
I usually do it the other way around. Alox lube on traditional lube groove handgun boolits.

Shiloh

jlchucker
06-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I tried running tumble lube boolits through my Lyman 450 and after lots of attempts wasn't able to get the thing adjusted so that I didn't end up with a sticky mess on every boolit. I ended up using LS Stuff's liquid alox in tumble-lube mode for my Ranchdog boolits. This works OK but from now on every mold that I buy will have standard lube grooves. Not that you can't get decent results with tumble lube boolits but to me, that process is not as convenient as using a standard sizer-lubricator and stick lube.

MarkP
06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I ran the LEE TL 430 - 240 SWC through my Star with CAR RED and they shot fine (900 to 1,100 ish) ran it hotter than normal to get the lube to flow around all grooves.

williamwaco
06-16-2013, 09:13 PM
I usually do it the other way around. Alox lube on traditional lube groove handgun boolits.

Shiloh

DITTO!

Conventional lube on a TL bullet will work fine but it is a lot more work.
I wouldn't do it.

Idz
06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
How about pan lubing the TL bullets? I'm planning to try a couple hundred TL 45acp. Anybody had success/failure with pan lubing them?

bigfelipe
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Why wouldn't you just tumble lube them? Seems like a lot less work than pan lube or a sizing lube especially if you don't have to size...

jlchucker
06-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Why wouldn't you just tumble lube them? Seems like a lot less work than pan lube or a sizing lube especially if you don't have to size...

I've tried that, too. In fact, I bought a couple of those kake cutters made by a member here, as well as a hot plate and a pair of tongs. It is more work than pan lubing, and I can't really (so far) which is better: tumble-lube or pan lube. Both are kind of slow methods, compared to what I've been doing for a long time. I'm not knocking them in terms of my boolits not getting enough lube, and boolits lubed either way seem to work well in my 44 magnum rifle.

Silverboolit
06-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Just finished lub/sizing 300 .45 TL bullets in the RCBS this morning. They have worked just fine for me. I will buy conventional lube groove molds in the future, as they seem to carry more lube.