PDA

View Full Version : Hen's teeth. Are you sharing any?

WILCO
06-15-2013, 10:18 AM
We all know that .22 long rifle ammunition has gone from "Manna" to "Hen's teeth" and my question of the day is this: Regardless of the amount you may have squirreled away, are you sharing any of it with friends and family? Knowing the good folks on this website, the answer seems obvious enough, but I'm still curious to ask.

wch
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I got lucky: just before the great gun-ban debacle, I bought quite a few boxes of 22LR on sale- now my friends get lucky, too!

Hardcast416taylor
06-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes, with several friends that are money strapped and can`t afford such luxuries.Robert

btroj
06-15-2013, 10:31 AM
I have lots of 22 ammo and no friends. Sigh

Cactus Farmer
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
You have one now! ;>)

texassako
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes, I gave a 525 value pack of Remington to my dad who could not find any after realizing he had given it all to me in the '90s because he had turned into a 1 box of centerfire for deer season sort of shooter. Nephews have received a few small boxes as well when I heard they ran out.

35isit
06-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I am the only no vote so far. I shoot mostly competition grade Ely ammo. If I had extra I would share it. I have found places that will only sell 2 boxes at a time. I have picked up some for others instead of stockpiling for myself.

marlin39a
06-15-2013, 10:59 AM
I gave a bulk pack to a friend in need. I've been stockpiling since the mid 90's.

jcwit
06-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Did to a point.

btroj
06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
To a point is the "right" answer. Helping others only goes so far. If it is "my family shoots or you shoot" then my family wins every time.

Rick N Bama
06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes I'm sharing with my three Grandsons (does that count?). They are down to one bulk box of Federals with 3 rifles to feed. I allow each to shoot 10-20 rounds when they come over if they ask.

Rick

Jailer
06-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Voted no only because I don't have enough to share. If I did, I would.

BUT! My nephew shoots 22 pistol bullseye every tuesday at a range local to me. His dad is kind of a tightwad and not the type to stock up on anything. If my nephew needs it to shoot, I will give him everything I have.

Love Life
06-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I split my 4 50 packs with a friend of mine. He has 5 mouths to feed and he has had my back since we joined. Wished I had more to give him.

I ended up paying market prices to replenish a bit for my daughter. No worries though because you can't shoot money...

possom813
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
I voted no, but that's because friends and family already have what they need(most of them have more than I do), if they didn't have what they needed, I wouldn't have any issue sharing.

khmer6
06-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I had a bunch of 22 last year but bought more Cabelas had 2k+ rounds in an ammo can for cheap around August, I bought it while i was strolling. I personally don't shoot 22s.

Rex
06-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Gave a box of shorts to a guy I didn't know who said he had none. My 10-22 won't shoot shorts anyway.
I'd like to trade the 10-22 for a bolt gun, I've even got a couple of boxes of Longs out in the garage.

slim1836
06-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I have been bartering with friends, we share casings we collect and swap for primers and powder if the need and supply is there.

I also have traded for lead pipe and other types of lead, usually for cold beer at the local Chili's.

I have co-workers who also pick up wheel weights when they see them and give them to me.

Life is hard, but good.

Slim

Gliden07
06-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I only have around 5 to 600 rounds of 22LR! So I haven't really thought too much about it. I've been shooting my 9MM and 45ACP because thats what I cast and reload. Casting and reloading these 2 calibers costs me almost the same as the 22 now!!

PbHurler
06-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I really don't have many "friends", let alone friends who shoot. So I voted no.

khmer6
06-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I only have around 5 to 600 rounds of 22LR! So I haven't really thought too much about it. I've been shooting my 9MM and 45ACP because thats what I cast and reload. Casting and reloading these 2 calibers costs me almost the same as the 22 now!!

That's how I feel. Cheaper to cast and shoot than 22s. I let my nephews shoot their hearts out with 22s while I do load development next to then. I've since taught them to slow down instead of blasting due to the current situation. And now we police our 22 brass as well for swaging

searcher4851
06-15-2013, 04:26 PM
I've shared what I have and have mostly been shooting .38 spl instead of .22 in an effort to make what little I have left hopefully last until it's available again at reasonable prices..

DCM
06-15-2013, 05:25 PM
YUP! Recently donated a brick to one of my clubs hunter ed programs when I found out they were running short.
Ammo well spent IMO.

KYShooter73
06-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Gave about half my stash to the local 4-H shooting sports. 550rd box....so about $300.00 worth. Heh.

williamwaco
06-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I swapped a 525 value pack to a friend. He had a brand that simply would not feed in his M&P Pistol and he couldn't find any other brand. I had four different brands so I let him try them until he found one that would feed

I have loaned a half pack of 525 to three different friends on the understanding that I would not accept money for it but when they could get it at a normal price, they would repay it.

I have done the same thing with about a dozen boxes of 9mm, 3 boxes .38 Special and one box .40 S&W.

Blacksmith
06-15-2013, 11:16 PM
I have sold some at cost price. Bartered some for other shooting stuff. Shared some with Family. And given some away. I still got plenty but bought some more when I saw a brick of CCI Quiet on the shelf, I've been wanting to try it.

Swamp Man
06-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I gave one box of 50 away and sold one box of 50 for the price I paid. But my kindness has ran out if they don't have any that's just to bad they will have to get them from someone other then me. The few thousand I have will remain with me because who knows when we will be able to buy them at a good price again.

TXGunNut
06-16-2013, 03:48 AM
Nobody knows I have any, ya'll can keep a secret, right?

starmac
06-16-2013, 05:02 AM
I really don't have many "friends", let alone friends who shoot. So I voted no.

I don't have any friends that don't shoot. lol

I have actually given away way more than I have shot the last 6 months or so. lol

Ajax
06-16-2013, 06:31 AM
I gave 500 CCI CB to a friend who has a sound sensitive special needs son. All i can say is money well spent.

Andy

country gent
06-16-2013, 07:07 AM
I always have a 22 of some sort with my gear. Dads bring kids to watch them shoot to the club. Kids get bored I talk to Dad and work with the kids with a light little 22 and a box or 2 of ammo. A little time and something to do settles them down and makes an enjoyable day for the kids. Years ago I bought 8 cases ( 5000 rds) of the white box cmp 22 from DCM/CMP for $80.00 a case. Not alot left but enough. Have gotten several Kids enrolled in the clubs junior program like this. :grin:. Its fun to work with the kids and see them progress.

Jim
06-16-2013, 07:19 AM
I haven't had anybody ask me for ammo. The question I get is "Where can I get it?"

winelover
06-16-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm flush with 22's and would share. Being that I recently relocated to the area, I only have one friend that shoots but he's too busy busting his butt building retaining walls. Said friend also recently bought a new 22 pistol that needs to be rung out!

Winelover

375supermag
06-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi...

I am not sharing, mostly because nobody is asking.
I have a fairly decent stash for my son and I. We are set for a while.

Mostly shooting centerfire handgun this shooting season. I have a good supply of primers and primed cases, so I only need to load up to replace the few hundred we shoot each session.

I am still buying primers...I load 500-100 rounds and buy 1-2K primers. Just bought 1K CCI small pistol primers yesterday for $33.99/K.
My goal is to build my inventory up to 20K each of LP and SP primers(almost half way there).
At the price they want for what little .22LR they have to sell, I can shoot an awful lot of centerfire handgun rounds.

DRNurse1
06-16-2013, 09:51 AM
This has put a HUGE crimp on my teaching process. I switched to pellets within a week of the rush but it is really hard to restock 22LRright now.

I have used centerfire target loads in a few instances to conserve on 22LR, but most classes include at least 25 rounds of 22LR per student.

Funny thing though, I have not turned anyone away: 16 classes and 45 new shooters out there, 21 were teachers. I only hat 4 classes before Newtown (so 35 new shooters and 21 teachers since) this year.

Looking at this post, I used 1/4 case of 22LR!!! Now where did I put those SPP's?

Blacksmith
06-16-2013, 10:33 AM
The one person I won't share with is the guy who is always asking for .22's, primers, powder, etc. He is also the guy who for the last three years I have told of every .22 sale that CMP has had and pointed out he can still order .22's from CMP for October delivery. The guy I let know when I see the items he is looking for at the LGS but he never seems to be able to actually buy anything. He is still looking and I bet come October he still won't have any .22's.

If you complain about being out of things but don't get them when you can then you don't need them enough for me to share.

P.S. When I told him I bought the brick of CCI and the store had other .22's I'll bet he didn't make the trip.

WILCO
06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I haven't had anybody ask me for ammo.

Same here Jim, and that's what made me think about the sharing aspect of this situation. I've given some away to a couple of friends that were looking, but not asking for any. I also wasn't eager to part with any of my inventory. I think I'm done sharing rimfire ammunition at this point.

bikerbeans
06-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I sold all my rimfires, pistols & rifles, because the holes they make in the target are too small for my old eyes. I have been giving away 22LR, 22Mag and 17HMR for over a year and finally, I think, just gave away the last of it. If I can't reload it, I don't own it.

BB

gray wolf
06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
When I see a Dad with kids and he is rationing the 22s I give them whatever I can give.
He could be the best guy on Earth or some dip wad, but the kids should not have to suffer for it.
So I do what I can and it's always with a smile.

koehn,jim
06-16-2013, 02:05 PM
My godson and his father go shooting with me, and I bring the ammo.

SP5315
06-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I have a friend who's grandson will be visiting this week. He's on a fixed income and couldn't swing what they are asking for them even if he could find em. I was more than happy to part with a brick of 22's so he could have a little quality range time with the grandson.

Ed Barrett
06-16-2013, 03:37 PM
A friend of mine told me that a Baptist youth camp was going to drop their rifle familiarization course this year because of lack of ammo. I checked around with some of my shooting buddies and three of us gave a brick each to the camp. Funny thing is none of us are Baptist, but all devout shooters. I've gotten 6 calls from people thanking me and offering me firewood and painting of my house. I told them we were just happy to help the kids.

ShooterAZ
06-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Right before Obama got elected, I bought 2 5000 round cases of CCI Mini Mag on sale at Midway. No, I wasn't hoarding, just being prepared (something I learned in the Boy Scouts). And yes, I have shared with a few of my friends and coworkers in need. I usually go through a lot of 22's, but now I've slowed it down a notch. God only knows when this ridiculousness will end.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I have quite a stock pile from my early rimfire League days.
I've shared a few boxes with folks I shoot with.
Also I did a few reasonable swaps, their used 1x brass for my Bricks of Fed Lightning (early 90's vintage), and will do more. The lube has dried some and can be finicky with some guns like Browning Buckmark or S&W 22, unless they are re-lubed.
Jon

Mud Eagle
06-17-2013, 11:09 AM
I was lucky enough to pick up a case of CMP surplus 22LR beore the madness, but as a military guy I have a lot of squadronmates who have not been able to get very much of anything. I have sold, traded, and given some away depending on who it was and what they needed. That case has gone a lot faster than I intended it to!

L Ross
06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
The twelve year old I am teaching to reload was down to 60 rounds of 22 l.r. for his whole family. Mom was surprised when she tried to buy some at Wal-Mart. I supply the youngster when he is over here shooting and I sent him home with a brick of Federal Eagles for himself and a few hundred loose rounds in the bottom of a 3 lb coffee can for his brothers.
Now a good friend was here for the annual silhouette shoot and found out Eley Sport was lights out accurate in his Uberti Low-Wall. He only had a box and a half after getting his zeroes. I gave him a case to take home with him with the understanding that he has to replace it when things return to more normal.

Duke

Adam10mm
06-18-2013, 01:03 AM
I've got a box of Winchester 333rd pack from Walmart. No one's asked for .22 rimfire and I haven't offered it up. Don't know if I'd let it go. That's supposed to be for the trapline if I ever get around to catching anything. So far all I caught is my own fingers.

dragon813gt
06-18-2013, 01:57 PM
The backstop asked me to share so I willingly gave it 333 yesterday ;)
No one has asked as of yet. And the only one I would lend it to is my Uncle. Everyone else had plenty of time to stock up. But I was the odd man out for even suggesting such a thing.

DeanWinchester
06-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Hadn't really thought about it. I have a good bit but being as I don't even own a 22 of my own I never shoot rim fire. Maybe I should part with some of it......I probably won't.

Baja_Traveler
06-20-2013, 10:22 AM
I got a workmate here who I've gotten into leveraction silhouette shooting. I load 30-30 for him, and he supplies me with lead as an even exchange. The other day he expressed interest in shooting our 5th sunday long range 22 silhouette match (little rams are at 200 yards).
No problem I told him, hope you can find the ammo (knowing full well he couldn't). He searched for days locally and online and came up empty handed, so I presented him with two 100 round boxes of CCI Silhouette to use in the match. I put him through that exercise just so he appreciates that you just don't walk into Walmart and pick up a brick these days...

jonas302
06-21-2013, 01:41 PM
The only reason to have 22lr is to share with youngsters and beginning shooters in my family

Blacksmith
06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
+1 on learning the ammo shortage first hand. I was negotiating with a fellow to do some trading but he thinks .22 ammo is still worth what it was in 2010. I told him it is worth that only if you can replace it for that price.

Rooster
06-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Nice job Traveler! Hard lessons are the best lessons.

I did a table at a local show and sold my older target stuff for what I thought was highway robbery at $35. It flew off the table that first day. I walked around to check stuff out and the cheapest comparable was $75! I did say cheapest right? Good grief!!!

Thankfully when I take the kids out they don't have to worry about bringing any from home. I do enjoy watching the kids learn and improve.

shooterg
06-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Gave a brick of CCI to a friend's kid when he got a Henry .22 for birthday. Always keep a few boxes of that nasty Remington Thunderbolt or old Winchester Wildcat in the car - if I see some kids shooting .22 with parents, I'll give each a box and tell them "this is for YOU to shoot, not your Pop(or Mom) " !
We have an Open House in August so I'll probably donate a few bricks to that. But after I get down to my last 50 bricks, I'm gonna have to tighten up.

Down South
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm one of those without. My grandson gave me a 525 box of some he had stashed away so, I guess it works both ways. I didn't have a decent 22 before this all started this last time and hadn't shot a 22 in years. I decided to buy a hard to find Ruger TD 10-22 at a good price then I bought the wife and myself a Ruger MK III Hunter for her to practice with and me to play with. Thus the search for 22 ammo. I bought one box of 525 at an inflated price and after the wife shot that up is when the grandson gave me a box of his stash.

I have been generous with center fire ammo. I've given away hundreds of loaded 9mm rounds and 38 Special, probably around 1,000 rds. My reloading stash is looking good for the long haul so I can afford to spare more for family and friends in need. I've promised some 5.56 but just haven't set up to load for that yet. I have a lot of brass that I want to finish processing and make one large loading session, probably several thousand rounds.
I haven't set a cut off level yet for buddies and friends but it won't be long. Family is a different story.

cbrick
06-22-2013, 07:26 AM
I only have one friend that shoots but he's too busy busting his butt building retaining walls. Said friend also recently bought a new 22 pistol that needs to be rung out! Winelover

And he can't describe how tired of that he is. :holysheep

Bought a new Mark III several months ago and already have about 20 rounds through it. So unlike me, so sad. :-(

Rick

timberhawk
06-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Yep, I bought 10 bricks of PMC Zapper .22 LR ammo back in the late 1990s for $10.50 a brick. Most accurate .22 LR I've ever shot in my guns.
Been doling it out to my daughter, nephews and nieces since the panic hit in late last year. Kinda hate to give it away. They don't make it anymore, but I've fun out of everything else.
I reload everything for my brothers and their families from .380 to .44 mag and .223 to 300 Weatherby. Cast reloads are free, but they have to buy the j-word component, if that's what they want.
Family is the most important thing we have. We gotta take care of each other.
Richard

Smoke4320
06-22-2013, 03:19 PM
my precious , my precious Its all mine :)