PDA

View Full Version : "how many more of them you gonna shoot?"

gofastman
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
...the guy at the firing range asked me about my .454 :-D :Fire:
I was there last night by my self and another guy walked in, i didnt see or hear him come in or I would have warned him I was being REALLY loud

I kinda felt bad, walking in to a range where everything is quiet then having some one touch off a few rounds loaded with 37gr of W296, yeah that will make you jump!

I have to admit, this is differently "enough gun" for all but the most hardcore recoil junkie!

What do you guys and gals think about this? is it obnoxious or should others at the range just deal with it?

DxieLandMan
06-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I did that too with a .41 Magnum once. Everyone was shooting and then they hear a boom and come to see what was being shot.

H.Callahan
06-14-2013, 12:12 PM
In MY (<- key word here) opinion, if you are at a firing range, you should expect for there to be things that go boom. I assume you are talking an indoor range? As long as you are within what caliber restrictions the range might have then I don't think you have anything to be apologetic for. I would try to remain friendly about it, but you are not doing anything "wrong". If things get testy, refer the other guy to the range master.

If it is an outdoor range, I think they are being silly.

garym1a2
06-14-2013, 12:12 PM
If I am shooting the 16 inch AR with the comp on it I pay attention to others and warn them if needed.

429421Cowboy
06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
WOW. 37 grains of powder is amazing to me, I put 41 grains of Rl 15 in my pet .243 load, to have a handgun round that uses nearly as much is crazy!
I say as long as it is within caliber specs for the indoor range, people should already be using eyes and ears as soon as they walk in, and can deal with it. Now if you were waiting till the range filled up and doing it for attention, I would say it is a different story, but you seem like you were trying to not bother anybody and shooting while the place was nearly empty.

gofastman
06-14-2013, 12:28 PM
I would have let him shoot a few, but he was obviously a novice shooter and I didnt feel like digging the front sight out of his forehead

Love Life
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I would have kept shooting. I have had people ask me to stop shooting my 454 under the covered range before. I kept shooting.

You should see how much 2400 I stuff into a 454 Casull Case 429421 Cowboy.

Lonegun1894
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I'd keep shooting. Now correct me if I am wrong, but you said you were there first, and not trying to be obnoxious. I have had the same kind of situation with shooters who arrived after I did demanding that I stop shooting my 4" .357 Mag. What was funny about it was that I was there first, and had the range completely to myself, so about 75yds worth of firing line available to them, but they insist on standing next to me (within 5-6ft) with their .380, peppering me with their ejected brass, and then have the gall to tell me to stop shooting. I just told them that I will not due to having been there first, needing the practice as much as anyone else, and that they decided to step up right next to me while having plenty of space elsewhere, but that there is plenty of firing line available at this outdoor range so they can move to a more comfortable distance of their choice for their comfort. I kind of hated doing that, but they never asked politely, but rather decided that they would get their way because they wanted it that way, and that is not the way to get much of anything from me. Had they asked politely, I had plenty of .38 Specials that I could have switched to shooting instead.

PS Paul
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
One of the many reasons I choose to shoot mostly on Mondays at my range, using powders like H110, 296, 4227 and 2400 makes that really thunderous "boom" that we so enjoy!

I am in the habit of communicating to folks who do show up that I may be making more boom than they are comfortable with, but as Inspector Callahan says above, "expect things to go boom" at a shooting range! Right?

Gunslinger1911
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Sounds like you were in the right to keep shooting.
Had the same happen a few years ago, testing out some loads in a 12" 45/70 Contender, guy shows up with .22's and .38's, asks me to stop shooting so loud .........guy to the other side lets go from a 220 swift ! I just smiled.

merlin101
06-14-2013, 01:17 PM
I've never had anything like this happen to me. The way people are today it's a wonder I haven't.

But I'd just gently remind them that this is a shooting range and it's their responsiblty to bring hearing protection because things do get loud!

Finster101
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I think it depends on how and why the guy asks. If I show up on our range and guys are shooting something really loud I will ask how much longer they might be, especially if my wife is with me. Now I'm not trying to shut them down and make sure they know it but if they are within a little while of being done I will just wait to set up.

454PB
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I've never had anyone say anything about the noise from my .454's, but I do get dirty looks when I shoot my ported Taurus Raging Bull under the bench covers. The noise is directed upwards, which amplifies it. If someone is at the line when I get there, I warn them that it's gonna be intense.

Dale in Louisiana
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I went in the other direction. I used to shoot rifle matches at a nearby club. One weekend a month they had a military bolt action match. That's great, because I had a pretty decent 1903A3.

The match was shot entirely at 200 yards. At that time, the club would sell you military surplus .30-06 ball from CMP for the match, and everybody else on the firing line was taking advantage of this if they were doing .30-06, or other full-bore milsurp for other calibers.

I cast up a bunch of 180-grainers, gas-checked, and used Ed Harris' "The Load", 16 grains of 2400, behind it.

It was fun on the firing line. You'd hear "WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!" from the full-bore loads and then "POP!" from mine. Got curious looks.

dale in Louisiana

DeanWinchester
06-14-2013, 01:33 PM
There's another side to this coin too. These loads are great for the buttwad knowitalls at the range. You know the ones who hover and critique because they're a friggin expert on everything.
I used to keep my M44 mosin with me at all range visits for this very reason. People tend to leave when you shoot that thing.
Long gone is the Mosin, i have a new ally against the jerks. I'm sure that .454 is rough on the ears but it can't be much worse than a Super 14 Contender in 30/30. 31.0g of Varget and a 160g FTX. Whew, the fireball brings to mind black robe wizards from high school era games of AD&D.

As far as courtesy, IF you were there first, they just have to deal with it. To plop down next to a fellar and start blastin them things would be very rude.

MtGun44
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
It's a SHOOTING range. A comment that a particular gun is loud may be a nice
thing, but this is not a concert hall or library.

Bill

alrighty
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Every time I think how great it would be to have a public range nearby a post like this comes up , Thank you for the reminder.

nagantguy
06-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Never had this happen luckily but have had people ask what I was shooting when l let lose with my shortened nagants.

waksupi
06-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a good reason to have both a .30 carbine pistol, and a Hakim. Both guaranteed to get attention!

gbrown
06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
1. When someone goes to the range, it's liable to be loud. That's a given. 2. Unless there is some type of caliber restriction, anyone can bring what they want. 3. If the report of someone elses weapon makes you jump, you are not focusing on your shooting. At our range, you get the entire spectrum of weapons. There are some restrictions, like no centerfire rifle at the 50 yd pistol range so as not to damage the berms. I have jumped when I first walked up to the line and someone cranks off a big caliber. My hearing protection goes on before I leave my vehicle. I believe in consideration for the other guy, but I also respect the right of someone to shoot what they want, barring club restrictions. If it ever gets too loud, I can always choose to leave.

Blacksmith
06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
When I shoot my "Manly Pistol", Contender in .45-70, I get a lot of looks and some curious people come over to see whats going on. If I'm there first it's up to the late comers to do the work around. If someone is already there I will let them know it's noisy and set up as far away as I can, they were there first so I'll work around.

snuffy
06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
How many? A lot more than I was going to, now that you complained! :coffeecom

Actually I would cease long enough to educate that person as to range rules and courtesy. If anyone approaches a firing line without safety glasses and ear protection on, they're breaking club rules.

Since my range is private, most members know the rules. There's 4 outdoor ranges, and the indoor range. It usually isn't hard to find one that has no one shooting at it.

Once a member that was a salesman @ sheels came barging in with a couple of clients to "test" some salesman samples. He proceeded to push others aside so his clients could shoot. I stood my ground, saying you wait your turn, or go get your own target holder then shoot from an empty bench.

I was testing a load work-up, so I did not want to stop. All he wanted to do is blast at the backstop, no targets or keeping track of bullet impacts.

archmaker
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Shoot a away, it is shooting range, not a library!

Remember shooting silhouettes and there was these two 'ya-hoos' (I knew them and liked them) shooting a 10" 30-30 Contender the load . . . 125gr Sierra with a case scopped through some IMR-3031, scraped off and bullet seated on top. After a while you would hear a lull, then that loud boom then eveyone else would shoot - LOL. (BTW - my load for the same bullet was a measured load that almost filled the case all the way.)

rockrat
06-14-2013, 04:38 PM
I built a 44 on the 284 win case. shot it in an xp100, 13" barrel, muzzle brake, and IIRC 65gr H-335/240gr bullet. Talk about a fireball and concussive effects shooting at a covered firing line!!! It was definitely a piece of psychological warfare and it would really shoot well.

If they complained about your 454, tell them tough. Go to the other end of the firing line.

Matt85
06-14-2013, 05:18 PM
only time ive ever complained is when I was at the covered range with my 45-70 and a guy posts up next to me with a compensated .338 lapua. each shot rattled my teeth and the back blast actually blew the extra targets off my bench. it was too much, I had to politely ask him to move. normally if someone is shooting something like that I will simply stop shooting and wait for them to finish. I cant concentrate with those big guns going off right next to me.

-matt

Ickisrulz
06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
The only thing that ever bothered me at a range was getting placed next to a guy shooting a 50 BMG. That was beyond loud. I asked for a different position.

km101
06-14-2013, 07:14 PM
They are at a shooting range! If you are following range rules and practices you have nothing to worry about! If another shooter is "blast" sensitive, that is his problem and he should deal with it. I can hardly believe that someone would be such a jerk! I would tell them to take a hike!

44Vaquero
06-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I have moved myself more than once at the range for several reasons: Brass defection of ceiling, the .30 cal Blackhawk, machine gun kelly in the next stall etc. I have never once said a word to the other shooter , it's a shooting range I expect and welcome this sort of thing.

I will admit to one time having words with a guy policing his brass from between my legs while I was actively shooting!

WILCO
06-14-2013, 07:48 PM
What do you guys and gals think about this? is it obnoxious or should others at the range just deal with it?

Common courtesy works everywhere it's used. Folks need to accept the fact that ranges are loud and deal with it from there. Only thing I would suggest is to take a moment to make sure ears are protected when the range goes hot.

06-14-2013, 08:34 PM
The only thing that ever bothered me at a range was getting placed next to a guy shooting a 50 BMG. That was beyond loud. I asked for a different position.

Yep, had that happen to me. Had to tough it out, as there was not another bench available. It was difficult to hold a sight picture, because the muzzle blast was moving my body about, so I'd wait till he'd fired.

deep creek
06-14-2013, 08:56 PM
shooting range? shooting range? Oh yea,weve got lots of them.We just drive up the road and set up the targets where we want:):Fire:

dragon813gt
06-14-2013, 09:05 PM
First come first serve. I have moved plenty of times even when I was there first. I have no desire to be right next to someone shooting a 500 S&W. I didn't say a word to the shooter. I just moved because I didn't want to be that close and there were other benches.

I do think that people w/ 50 cals and the like do need to have some common courtesy. If the range was packed I would shoot something else. Loudness is one thing. A shockwave that interferes w/ your shooting four stalls down is something totally different. But I do realize they have the right to shoot it. I just wouldn't personally.

I have been next to a guy shooting a 338 Lapua. I was shooting my 357 Marlin and he kept commenting on how quiet it was and how I needed a real rifle. Normally I wouldn't care but it went on for an hour. That's when I broke out the Mosin. After one magazine he left and was giving me dirty looks :laugh:

lksmith
06-14-2013, 10:10 PM
First come first serve. I have moved plenty of times even when I was there first. I have no desire to be right next to someone shooting a 500 S&W. I didn't say a word to the shooter. I just moved because I didn't want to be that close and there were other benches.

I do think that people w/ 50 cals and the like do need to have some common courtesy. If the range was packed I would shoot something else. Loudness is one thing. A shockwave that interferes w/ your shooting four stalls down is something totally different. But I do realize they have the right to shoot it. I just wouldn't personally.

I have been next to a guy shooting a 338 Lapua. I was shooting my 357 Marlin and he kept commenting on how quiet it was and how I needed a real rifle. Normally I wouldn't care but it went on for an hour. That's when I broke out the Mosin. After one magazine he left and was giving me dirty looks :laugh:

When I shoot the 50, I usually make a point to warn everybody to give them a chance to muff up and try to put some space and be courteous. But there have been times where I have used the 50 to get a point across, like when there's a few folks acting stupid (unsafe and obnoxious) and when another shooter and I are talking (just the 2 of us at the range) and somebody walks up and starts shooting a rifle or mag handgun without the common courtesy of letting us know they are about to fire. I'll warn everybody but those folks that I'm about to light off 200+gr of powder

country gent
06-14-2013, 10:33 PM
While Ive never had anyone complain about muzzle reports at the club. Since Ive started actively working with the black powder cartridges and paper patched bullets in my sharps, I have had complaints about the smoke and confetti. Had one guy stop me saying I had "blown the rifle up". I will take the time to explain what Im doing and the loads. Most are satisfied when they know hats going on. Some are really interested in the rifle loads and tradition. Education is the key here. I get a big thundering Boom from the 70 grns of 2f goex ( and ussually a 10 or X at 200 yds) and some grey white smoke and a little ball of floating confetti when I fire it. Depeding on wind direction the smoke and confettis travels. Under the covered firing point are 6 benches 4 are 50 100 yds 1 is 100yds 200yds and 1 is 200 yds only. The 200yds only is a concrete bench with a stool ( much easier for me with the mobility issues) the others ar wood with benches. I normaly get there early and set up on the concrete bench for this reason.

Heavy lead
06-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I try to take the Lapua with the brake when no one else is there, if someone shows up and gets cozy I forwarn them what is to come when I pull the trigger, most times they stay a few benches down.
A couple of young peace officers showed up the their AR's once, after a couple of hell fire and brimstone shots I asked if they wanted to touch a couple off, they were all over it, made a couple of friends that day.
She still pushes back pretty well even with the brake shooting prone.

contender1
06-14-2013, 10:55 PM
It's posts like this that make me glad I own my own gun range. (Outdoors) If anybody were to ask me to stop shooting something due to noise,,, they'd be shown the direction to the road & off my property.

Swamp Man
06-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Contender1 I have a range on my land that only my brother,sons and I use. I have never even been to a range I wouldn't know what to think if someone was to ask me to stop shooting my gun/guns. LOL

gofastman
06-15-2013, 09:27 AM
The guys tone indicated he was a bit concerned, but he seemed friendly.

I'll warn everybody but those folks that I'm about to light off 200+gr of powder

Yikes! I knew they were a big case, but I didnt realize they held that much!

That's when I broke out the Mosin. After one magazine he left and was giving me dirty looks :laugh:
Those M44s are fun arent they? IMO, although they dont produce the same concussive blast as 50 BMG, I think they may be nipping at the 50's heals as far as sheer noise output!

Rick N Bama
06-15-2013, 09:39 AM
On one occasion a fellow set up 10 benches away & started shooting his 460S&W. After a couple of my rounds from the 6BR went wild I politely asked him to yell "Fire in the Hole" when he was ready to shoot again. We both got a good laugh from it, he did as I requested & we were both happy. I would never ask someone to quit shooting a loud gun, heck he might want to use it on me :)

Rick

lka
06-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Lol I was in a covered outdoor range with a guy next to me, he was shooting an ar, I was testing out some HG loads, then KaBoom I must admit it made me jump a bit, the guy was stepping back so I said wow what was that, it was a 338, that **** was loud, he was cool and let me shoot a few rounds out of it.

Boerrancher
06-15-2013, 11:11 AM
I have gotten some strange looks and comments at the local public range when I drag my 7mm and 300 RUMs out to play. There is nothing like the detonation of 110 grains of H870 to wake you up in the morning. You can actually see the shock wave come off of the barrel with each shot. I have actually had the range go silent after touching one off and had everyone there staring at me.

The public range is 10 min away and I do go there on occasion for the initial zero of many of my rifles, as it is a top notch facility, but for most of my shooting and load development I do it off of my front porch or back deck. That way I don't have to worry about noise. I can make all of it I want and not disturb anyone.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hamish
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
In regards to the question of "How many more of them you gonna light off"?

"All of them."

I try to go out of my way to be courteous to my fellow shooters, it pays to be nice to people, but there is more than one way to educate a doofus.

popper
06-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Don't mind the noise so much but when the bench shakes I do get miffed. Yes, you have the 'right' to shoot whatever the range will allow. Others pay the fee for the same privilege.

lksmith
06-15-2013, 01:17 PM
The guys tone indicated he was a bit concerned, but he seemed friendly.

Yikes! I knew they were a big case, but I didnt realize they held that much!

Those M44s are fun arent they? IMO, although they dont produce the same concussive blast as 50 BMG, I think they may be nipping at the 50's heals as far as sheer noise output!

I load em light.
My load for 647gr API is 220grs WC872 the charge for the mil surp I pulled of to start load development was 232grs of the same powder (Maybe WC860 but they use the same load data)
I've seen loads as high as 250grs using commercial powders like H50BMG

JeffinNZ
06-15-2013, 04:12 PM
It's a SHOOTING range. A comment that a particular gun is loud may be a nice
thing, but this is not a concert hall or library.

Bill

Couldn't have said it better Bill.

Boyscout
06-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Years ago I had a woman next to me with an SKS shooting as fast as she could raining down brass across my bench as I tried to shoot my 50 Cal. Muzzleloader. Between magazines she cackled and squealed the whole time. That was rude. More often than not most of shooters look out for each other and sometimes we even allow each other to try out something new. Our range is covered with concrete baffles and the reverb is distressing at times. They could use some portable shields to block flying brass from interfering with other shooters. When we shot my son's 14" T/C 35 Remington it was more painful to be next to it than behind it!

mroliver77
06-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I have my own place to shoot. Always have. After reading all the negative posts I have read over the years, I was nervous at shooting an IDPA match. All went well! Bunch of nice guys. Buddy and I were only ones shooting cast. Half of the guys gave us their (9mm) brass!

When our friend Willbird came to shoot at my house sometimes the neighbors got nervous but they never said anything. :) The M44 Mosin is quit impressive with some of the Commiesurp ammo! The M48! Yugo Mauser with 196gr yugo milsurp ammo is no slouch either! I think it is the square chopped up movie film looking powder(along with short barrel) used in the ammo that give them the impressive muzzle display.

One day an older neighbor lady stopped me at the store. Nervously she asked "Uh, did you get a canon or something?" I said no, but a friend did bring one to shoot. "OK we was just wondering" she said as she left.
I love Rural America!
J

41 mag fan
06-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Need to have a sign out...QUIET Shooting in Progress. If people dont realize big calibers go bang loudly, then they don't need to be there.
Want to see a range stop and look, is when you got 42gr of H110 go off in a 500. Esp when like on the 50 yrd lane they don't realize it's a 500 in the handgun you're holding.

DRNurse1
06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
...the guy at the firing range asked me about my .454 :-D :Fire:
I was there last night by my self and another guy walked in, i didnt see or hear him come in or I would have warned him I was being REALLY loud

I kinda felt bad, walking in to a range where everything is quiet then having some one touch off a few rounds loaded with 37gr of W296, yeah that will make you jump!

I have to admit, this is definitely "enough gun" for all but the most hardcore recoil junkie!

37 grains of powder will load 10 of my 45ACP target loads. And the .454 is a revolver!!!

daniel lawecki
06-16-2013, 09:11 AM
When at the range I'll always warn people the caliber and noise level. Are range is covered and you need earplugs and muffs. Your in door range will not allow mags of any sort. I always repect others at the range.

gofastman
06-16-2013, 10:33 AM
There is a indoor range by my house that I dont usually go to that just redid their ceiling with acoustical tile, the kind that looks like an egg crate. Man does that make a heck of a difference, no echo at all from even the big boomers

bobthenailer
06-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I usually try to aware of other shooters hearing when on the pistol range when using the 454 casull with full power loads its definatly a ear plug+ headphone proposition.

bobthenailer
06-16-2013, 11:48 AM
I usually try to be aware of other shooters hearing when on the pistol range when using the 454 casull with full power loads its definatly a ear plug+ headphone proposition. when hunting i use electronic headphones allways .

TXGunNut
06-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Some folks just don't like loud noises, no idea what they're doing at a range. My T/C Contender in 35 Rem has been known to clear out positions on both sides. I always point out the muzzle brake and generally offer a pair of foam earplugs to put under their muffs. I won't set up near anyone, especially when shooting a hand cannon. If they move in too close they can certainly back off a little ways. We'll both be happier that way.

Bzcraig
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
My first response is like many others, what do they expect? AND if they had an option to move away then who is being rude here? Now, if someone respectfully explained that they brought out their wife, kids, girlfriend, etc for the first time I would certainly acquiesce. I would be considerate but not stop if it was just some guy who showed up to shoot and forgot his testosterone shot before he left home.

bikerbeans
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
There is public indoor 25 yard range near me that allows you to shoot any pistol, rifle or shotgun (slug only) that has a MV less than 3600 fps. Double plugs are a must to shoot at this place. My son and I have shot a 45-70 rifle and ARs in 223 & 300 AAC. They have rental CF rifles, including a 30-06 and a couple of Mosin Nagants. When my kid gets back from deployment we are going to take a couple of CZ550s, 375 H&H and 416 Rigby, and see if we can win the noise contest. :grin:

BB

xs hedspace
06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I was in a gun club, and helped organize a sight=in day before deer season. $5 range fee, you get two targets 50 and 100 yds. Great turnout! Next meeting, I was expecting a pat on the back, and was greeted by "Holy ****! The neighbors thought a war was going on, we can't do that anymore!" I joined another club. Who ever thought of a lot of shooting at a gun club??!?

dagger dog
06-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Set up at the bench and was clocking some new loads for my Hornet, and 308 Win. When the RO declared a cease fire, I would enter my data in a note book so I was really engrossed in that and spotting my own shots.

I wear plugs and muffs so I didn't hear this guy set up on the bench to my left.

The RO blew the horn, the range went hot and about 1/2 way through that session I get slapped in the back, pulled the last shot on a 5 shot string about 2" of a nice 4 rnd. bug hole group.

Ejected that last round out of the chamber and placed it in the block ,turned and looked to my left , this time I get slapped in the face .

The guy that set up on the bench next to me was shooting a 50 BMG bolt gun with a muzzle brake that looked like it belonged on an tank.
I knew that muzzle brakes were loud but I didn't realize they directed so much force.

I really think the guy could have said something to at least tip me off and I would have moved to another bench. He had about three other bozos with him, whooping and hollering every time they would touch off a shot, and the owner wasn't a handloader, so it only lasted about 10 rounds before he packed up and left.

Lloyd Smale
06-20-2013, 03:08 PM
-had some in the tweed jacket club praticing skeet one day come over to me at the bench and tell me i had to pack up because i was interfereing with there practice. I wont say here what i told them because it would just get bleeped out anyway but i wasnt smooth in my response. I didnt feel i owed them any politeness as they showed me none. About 5 minutes later a couple of the younger jock type ones came over and looked like they were sent by daddy to scare me. I just turned around took my jacket off and stared. They soon went back to daddy with there tail between there legs. That was only one incident there. Luckily i have my own range now and dont have to deal with yuppys. What I used to do is carry a couple extra muffs and a bunch of ear plugs. Ive had a few nicely say that my gun was shaking the world around them. I would offer them plugs or muffs so they could double up on there hearing protection and that seemed to take care of it. By the way after i got done that day i went in the club for a beer and the vice president of the club was at the bar. I didnt know him from adam but the bar tender told me who he was. I told him my story and he had a good laugh and said i had just as much right there as them and if they hastled me again to come talk to him. PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGES SUCK! Even ones in rural areas like this.