PDA

View Full Version : soldering

Bloodman14
06-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Guys, I am wanting to solder or braze the gas shut-off valve in my Yugo SKS. As I have no interest in using it as a bolt action, and have no grenades to launch anyway, I figured to solder it up. I have the equipment to do either, so I am asking for suggestions concerning method, and things to watch for. Any BATFE regs to worry about that I am not aware of?
Thanks,
Tim

Johnch
06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
I would keep it

As I know of 2 guys that shoot those SKS's
As they use the rifles to shoot reloads

Not fast shooting semi auto
But as a straight pull rifle
No chasing brass or getting it bent up

I had to rework a gas pistion for mine to do the same , as it was made in China

With good reloads
You will be suprised how well they shoot

John

Bloodman14
06-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Oh, believe me, I have a load that works like a charm, it's just that I wanted to tighten up the gas block/piston to eliminate any pressure loss and to have one less part to worry about. Gas shut-off valves seem to be hard to find, and soldering would eliminate that weak spot. That's just how I think.

leadman
06-14-2013, 04:54 AM
I can't remember ever hearing of the failure of the gas shutoff on one of these. I bought one 10 or more years ago and now my son has it with no issues.
Most SKS guns are way overgassed anyway so a little lose, if there is any is not going to hurt. I did like not chasing brass during load development.

10x
06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
an aluminum rod in place of the gas piston with a rubber buffer at the action end will work.
If you ever shoot corrosive ammo you do not want a hard to reach place in the bore.
If you do decide to close it use silver solder and make sure it is flush with the bore. A silicon plug (Made from a silcon cooking sheet) will serve to hold the solder from protruding into the bore.
The other way is to use JB weld with a nylon plug to keep it from protruding into the bore. WIth any plug keep the gas system in place to catch any thing blown out of the hole by an over pressure load.

MtGun44
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Can't imagine going to that much trouble to disable a feature that is
not hurting anything. Besides, someday you or somebody else
may want it.

Bill

blademasterii
06-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Any way to tap and plug the hole with a machine screw and locktite?

Bloodman14
06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm not being clear; I want to place the gas shut-off valve in the 'normal' position, and solder/braze in place. This will have the effect of a standard gas block, ala the AK-47 or other types of SKS that do not have the shut-off valve. It will also take care of the gas leak due to corrosion caused by using milsurp/mil issue ammo. I am NOT trying to plug the port in the barrel itself.

The rifle is not for sale, it is my SHTF gun.

akajun
06-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Leave it alone, the valve is not hard to make if you have a lathe, and in fact someone used to sell oversize plugs to repair oversized/worn gas blocks. Putting enough heat to braze or silver solder on that part may cause warpage of the barrel as well. If you just absolutly have to do it, use Brownells hi force 44 wich is a low temp solder. However you will gain nothing by soldering it in place. Any pressure loss you are experiencing is not enough to matter.

Bloodman14
06-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Guys, lesson learned;DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SOLDER THE GAS SHUT-OFF VALVE ON A YUGO SKS!!! Give it up as a VERY bad idea. I'm calling Numrich tomorrow.

472x1B/A
06-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Guys, lesson learned;DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SOLDER THE GAS SHUT-OFF VALVE ON A YUGO SKS!!! Give it up as a VERY bad idea. I'm calling Numrich tomorrow.

Am curious as to your results sir? Thanks in advance.

Bloodman14
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Well, color me embarrassed. By the time the steel and coated brass brazing rod got hot enough to melt the brass, the steel was beginning to reach it's melting point. Even tinning the parts first did not help. I guess there is so much contamination in the steel from all the corrosive ammo fired through it that the steel just wouldn't take the brazing very well.

As a members sig line reads, "sometimes you have to ignore the good idea fairy".

I ended up with a blob of melted brass on the valve/block interface.