PDA

View Full Version : Need help

TX.shotgun01
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm new to reloading pistol brass and I made a trade for some things and one of them was some .40S&W brass and 185gr-SWC-TC boolits and I can't find any load data on them. So is there any of you that load these and can you help with some starting load data that will get me going in the right way. Thanks

dbosman
06-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Find a load for a lead 180 gr lead projectile and start at about 10% less.
For powder, Winchester 231 would be a good starting point. There are lots of others.
I won't give a weight as there is a possibility of a typo or misinterpretation.

Now a bit of advice that may sound like criticism. You really need to back off a bit and read several manuals before you start reloading. I did read that you're new to pistol reloading, which may or may not say you are new to reloading in general. One huge difference in rifle and pistol is that a double charge of powder is really easy to do with fast pistol powders. And dangerous.

A Google search turns up over half a million hits on the combination you listed. Many are asking the same question and many are recommendations. -I- wouldn't trust any of those, except as pointers, unless I knew the author by reputation. There are people here I trust, but I'd also back off 10% as their gun isn't my gun. There are some great .40 S&W guns and some not so great ones. Your mileage may vary.

gimling
06-13-2013, 10:27 PM
modern reloading second edition,

185gr accurate#7 start grains 7.4 velocity 871fps
#5 start grains 5.4, velocity 858fps
#2 start grains 4.6, velocity 829fps

His advice is correct buy a reloading book and read it, TONS of good info buy a couple of books they are cheap and FULL of Great info.

garym1a2
06-13-2013, 10:45 PM
The attached is a link I like. It makes the Glock 22 in 40 S&W recoil less than a 9mm and a lot of fun. Plus in USPSA I only need minor power factor.
My got rounds for the lee 175gr TC bullet is 3.7 of WST and 4.2gr of bullseye. The WST load when I want a light load to shoot fast with min recoil and the bullseye load for a little more zip to knock over the steel plates.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/

Cane_man
06-13-2013, 10:58 PM
general advice is to load 10% less than what you would use with the same grain jwords

TX.shotgun01
06-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I have read some of my friends books and found no info on the 185gr but found info on 175gr and 180gr and was going to start with 10% off the low load on the 175gr and start work on a load. But before I started I wanted to ask some of you if yall have loaded these before. I have been reloading for almost three years now mainly shotgun but for the past year or so have been loading 9mm and 380acp, 30-06, and 243. I'm just starting on loading .40S&W that's why I ask first so I won't get hurt or hurt someone. Thanks again for the info

Gleedaniel13
06-14-2013, 01:20 AM
I have been reloading for almost three years now mainly shotgun but for the past year or so have been loading 9mm and 380acp, 30-06, and 243. I'm just starting on loading .40S&W that's why I ask first so I won't get hurt or hurt someone. Thanks again for the info

Same here I am starting loading with .40S&W. I will be waiting answers on your questions also so that I may have an idea.

429421Cowboy
06-14-2013, 01:35 AM
I just wanted to add a few things to the discussion here in terms of extrapolating a load from other bullets.
You want to use the next heavier bullet weight load, since powder charges will be higher for the lighter bullet than for the heavier bullet. I usually figure the same or heavier weight of jacketed minus a 10% reduction for a staring load on boolits I can't find data on. Just trying to help keep you safe and happy with your loads.
Good luck!