PDA

View Full Version : Gifted some casting supplies

XBT
09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
One of my son’s co-workers gave him some of his late fathers casting supplies to pass on to me. Among the stuff is about 2-3 hundred pounds of unknown alloy in ingots. The son said he thought some of the ingots were “lead” and some were “tin”. I’ll look them over closely when I have time and sort it out.

There were two old bottom pour casting pots that appear identical, one marked Lyman and the other Saeco, an assortment of smelting pots and ladles, and a plumber’s gas fired furnace. All of this stuff appears old and is rusty and dirty, it looks like it’s been sitting in the corner of a garage a long time.

Among the ingot molds/moulds (damn that thread!) is a Lyman with the backwards “N”. I always wanted one of those. :)

There was also a small can of Mennen’s baby powder that the son said his dad would sprinkle on his mold/mould to prevent sticking. Interesting.

I am happy to get all this stuff, especially the alloy, but can’t help thinking of the old gentleman who once used it.

standles
09-25-2007, 09:21 AM
I am glad that he did give it to someone that would put it to good use and not just ebay or scrap the stuff.

It is a shame that he did not continue the casting interest that his father had. There are several activities I do that bring back memories of dad each and every time.

Keep them pots and moulds hot....

Steven

454PB
09-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Buy a lottery ticket today.....you're on a roll!

When I inherited my Dad's guns, I went through the same thing and still do. I still refer to them as his guns, and think about him whenever I handle or shoot them.

felix
09-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Before my dad passed he indicated who got what guns. I only shoot those that I or another child gave him, and the remaining in my possession are shootable only by my sons. It will be up to them to decipher who's is who's after I am gone. There is one exception, and this is my bench gun. My dad liked it so well that he wanted me to give to my brother who always talked about it to him. My dad hated target guns, and once and only once was it used for demonstration purposes in terms he could appreciate. The gun was used to knock off blackbirds at distances they (my dad and brother) thought impossible. ... felix