PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 452460 finally shooting for me

prs
06-13-2013, 12:48 PM
I purchased this 452460 4 cav mold and another in 452374 about a year back. Relatively new to the 45ACP and had trouble with leading with some other molds and Lee Liquid Allox or even Recluse mix in my Ruger SR1911. The Lyman 452374 performed best of the molds I have tried with the tumble lubes and leading with it was minimal, but still a streak now and then after 100 rounds. I tried NRA lube and 0, nada, zilch leading. JOY! Then, you guys frequently mention the sweetness of SWC and even the 460 LYMAN, so I tried it again. With NRA lube and very careful attention to setting-up the press for COL and modest crimp, JOY JOY JOY. I was "pick'n flies off the sorghum on on the back wall" and no malfunctions over 49 rounds, no leading at all, but a little excess lube mess in the barrel. There was a second variable from my previous attempts other than the NRA lube, I used 231 instead of Unique; but Ya gotta load what Ya can get.

prs

tomme boy
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
I have never had any luck the straight alox. I coat my rifle boolits with it after I lube them with Tac1.

unique
06-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Well Unique is my favorite powder but my experience is it will lead before a lot of other powders when using plain base boolits, all other things being equal. I use it a lot but just have to make sure fit, BHN, velocity all line up. Also my experience is the NRA (Javlin) lube is the best there is commercially although I think Javlin might be hard to get these days.

So the only question is did one or both variables correct your leading issue?

Char-Gar
06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Another fellow who wised up!

452460 has been a long time favorite bullet, will feed in almost any 1911 and with proper lube will provide sterling accuracy.

LLA has a vary narrow range of usefulness and is not the miracle lube some think it is.

231 and Bullseye are two of the very best powders for the 45 ACP round and are very miserly with their charge weights.

prs
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Well Unique is my favorite powder but my experience is it will lead before a lot of other powders when using plain base boolits, all other things being equal. I use it a lot but just have to make sure fit, BHN, velocity all line up. Also my experience is the NRA (Javlin) lube is the best there is commercially although I think Javlin might be hard to get these days.

So the only question is did one or both variables correct your leading issue?

Unique has been my go-to since I started back in 1976 with 16ga shot shells.
I will probably re-try with unique when the dearth of supplies eases. prs

Another fellow who wised up!

452460 has been a long time favorite bullet, will feed in almost any 1911 and with proper lube will provide sterling accuracy.

LLA has a vary narrow range of usefulness and is not the miracle lube some think it is.

231 and Bullseye are two of the very best powders for the 45 ACP round and are very miserly with their charge weights.

I can agree to all of that, except it may have been more of blind hog luck than wisdom that got me on track. Hard headed, don't cha know... ;-)

Char-Gar, I have two types of mags for my brace of Rugers. The pair that came with each have "straight tongues" and I reckon that is probably how it was since Ruger tried to keep form and function faithful to the old design. The after market ones I got have tongues that are stepped down and then forward. I hypothesized that these were some sort of mod to feed non-hardball bullet designs better, but I dunno. Anyway, the 460s and 374s feed very well in either. The Lee TC 230 boolits often fail to fully chamber the next to last round in either type of mag (the last round pushes out and under the next to last and thus she jambs).

I find the 1911 a very pleasing pistol to shoot.

prs

Cherokee
06-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Glad you had good results and there is "Joy" in the house. I'm surprised at your comment on the Lee 230 TC as that is my most used (conventional lube) and problem free CB in my 1911 45's, Taurus and XDm.

MtGun44
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I always recommend NRA formula 50-50 as a lube. It will do a good job in most situations. Once you have
that working, then try out other lubes. I have also had great results in pistols with LBT soft blue.

NRA formula is the gold standard for a good reason - it works great!

Glad to hear that you are having success, the 352460 is a great boolit and so is 374, although I have better
accy with 460 than 374.

Not sure what you mean by "straight tongues" - no idea what the "tongue" of a mag might be.

Bill

captaint
06-13-2013, 10:08 PM
I think he's talking about the follower in the mag. Love the 452460 boolit. Yesterday I poured up about 250 and today I sized & lubed them. I only put lube in one of the grooves and they're pretty small. The lube is LBT Blue Soft. Hope it's enough. We'll find out. Great boolit, though. Mike

williamwaco
06-13-2013, 10:17 PM
I always recommend NRA formula 50-50 as a lube. It will do a good job in most situations. Once you have
that working, then try out other lubes. I have also had great results in pistols with LBT soft blue.

NRA formula is the gold standard for a good reason - it works great!

Glad to hear that you are having success, the 352460 is a great boolit and so is 374, although I have better
accy with 460 than 374.

Not sure what you mean by "straight tongues" - no idea what the "tongue" of a mag might be.

Bill

Me too. Been using it since 1956 and it has never failed me.

MT Chambers
06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
The 452460 is the Bee's knee's in the .45 Auto, I'm surprised most don't use it.

MtGun44
06-13-2013, 11:33 PM
I'd put the H&G 68 as a bit more consistent for feeding in 1911s compared to the 452460,
but most guns will feed 452460s very well. In my experience, 452460 is a touch more
accurate than H&G 68, but not a whole lot. Not a thing wrong with W231 in .45 ACP, it is
a great powder, I have burned a lot of it. I use Titegroup now because I get a full power
load with 4.8 gr where W231 takes 5.6 to 5.8 gr to get the same velocity. Powder costs
about the same per pound so if I can save about 15% on powder quantity per load, it
means 15% more shots for the same money.

William - no question that NRA formula was a major breakthrough. Certainly there are other
lubes that work well, but few that seem to be as broadly effective, and combined with
tremendous availability, it is great stuff. I'm always amazed when a new caster mixes up
some homemade glop and has a failure rather than spend $5 on enough KNOWN GOOD lube
to load thousands of boolits.

It is always good to hear these success stories. I am sure that many lurkers benefit from
posts like the OP's.

Bill

mroliver77
06-14-2013, 12:02 AM
I like the 460 but the Lyman mold (4 cav) is heavy. I tried the Lee version but it only came in TL design. Mihec cut the HG 68 in 6 cav aluminum and I found happiness.
J

prs
06-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry about the wrong nomenclature. Yes, I meant the follower when I said tongue. The Ruger supplied ones are straight and the aftermarket ones have a double 90 degree bend. My charge of 231 is only 5g, so I may up it a bit to see if the next to last chambering problem is related to the lower charge.

prs

45 2.1
06-14-2013, 09:04 AM
I like the 460 but the Lyman mold (4 cav) is heavy. I tried the Lee version but it only came in TL design.

I believe that was their 190 gr. version. It used to come with conventional lube grooves in a six cavity.......... It was an excellent boolit for target work, equal to anything out there.

williamwaco
06-14-2013, 11:58 PM
I'd put the H&G 68 as a bit more consistent for feeding in 1911s compared to the 452460,
but most guns will feed 452460s very well. In my experience, 452460 is a touch more
accurate than H&G 68, but not a whole lot. Not a thing wrong with W231 in .45 ACP, it is
a great powder, I have burned a lot of it. I use Titegroup now because I get a full power
load with 4.8 gr where W231 takes 5.6 to 5.8 gr to get the same velocity. Powder costs
about the same per pound so if I can save about 15% on powder quantity per load, it
means 15% more shots for the same money.

William - no question that NRA formula was a major breakthrough. Certainly there are other
lubes that work well, but few that seem to be as broadly effective, and combined with
tremendous availability, it is great stuff. I'm always amazed when a new caster mixes up
some homemade glop and has a failure rather than spend $5 on enough KNOWN GOOD lube
to load thousands of boolits.

It is always good to hear these success stories. I am sure that many lurkers benefit from
posts like the OP's.

Bill

Ditto. - To say nothing of the time and effort to mix it.

There are several lubes that are every bit as good as 50/50 but I have never had a failure with 50/50 so I have never felt a need to try them.
I did use a couple of tubes of Lyman Orange Magic I got in a trade. It was very good but it didn't save me any money - I had to buy a heater to use it.
I got a tube of that black stuff ( Molybdenum Disulfide )on the same trade but I read so many horror stories about it, I never tried it.

I do understand the desire to experiment and see what you can accomplish. I do that all the time ( but not with lube ). But I don't understand trying to do it to save money. The components cost more than a good commercial lube.