PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Casting Thermometer

Epd230
06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
The last big wind storm that came through ripped the lid off of my cheap gas grill. I never liked that grill anyway.

So, i now have a new smelting heat source. Before I threw away the lid, I noticed the thermometer. It was easliy removed and reads up to 800. I know that I see old grills on set out every week on garbage day. Can't beat a free tool!

Is there any reason why this would not serve as a good casting thermo?

Kraschenbirn
06-13-2013, 12:48 PM
If the thermocouple probe is long enough to reach down into the middle of your melt, it just might work...but I'd borrow a real lead thermometer to compare against before I accepted its readings as gospel truth.

Bill

blikseme300
06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Does it really matter what the temperature is as long as it is repeatable? I use a PID to control my smelters temperatures but I have no idea if it is accurately calibrated. I just dial in the appropriate number for a given mold and once stable cast away. Absolutes are great when needing to share with others but for own use you can use your own standards and measures. Repeatability and consistency are the keys to great casting outcomes.

Vinne
06-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I'll be on the look for an old grill!!

bangerjim
06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Most of those grill thermometers are nothing more that an AIR temperature measurement inside the grill. They are just a simple bi-metal coil that moves the needle. Accuracy.....probably 20%?

You MUST have a fluid contact thermometer with a probe that goes down INSIDE the molten lead pot. You can care less what the air temp is above it!

Use the grill for steaks. Buy a lead thermometer for casting.

bangerjim