PDA

View Full Version : 38 wadcutters

bsibjr
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question for ya, in an earlier post i mentioned that i had bought a bunch of reloading supplies from an estate. Going through the boxes i found 300 rounds of 38 special, nickel casings with wadcutters.Is there anyway to disassemble these?? I dont want to shoot them, the load date is 1989. I am also planning to smelt the bullets if I can pull them. Any Info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kraschenbirn
09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
While a bit time-consuming, mallet-type (inertia) bullet puller ought to do the job nicely 'cause wadcutters aren't usually crimped all that snugly.

If it was me, though, for only 300 rounds, I'd just shoot 'em for plinkers and be done with it. If the ammo was properly loaded, "1989' isn't all that old. I've got quite a bit of early 1960s .45 ACP Ball that still shoots quite well, not to mention, a couple thousand rounds of reloaded .45s leftover from when I shot IPSC competition on a halfway regular basis. Can't recall having a misfire from either.

Bill

bsibjr
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I did think of using the inertia puller, but it looks like there is a pretty heavy crimp, I'd hate to waste the nickle, If its my only option I guess I'll try shooting a couple.

TooManyMisses
09-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I picked up a Colt Police Positive a few years back (4 or 5) and there were a couple of boxes of hand loads with from the 60's or 70's and they worked just fine. Info on the box matched loads from my old Lyman 45 manual so I took the chance and shot them but the first few seemed a little warm, didn't have a Chrony then so I finished them off in a .357.

jhrosier
09-24-2007, 10:31 PM
bsibjr,
Unknown handloads make me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Brass is so cheap that I just wouldn't chance it.

454PB
09-25-2007, 12:40 AM
I was recently in the same situation. I fired the handloaded .38 specials in my Ruger .357 Security Six just to be safe. Even my hottest handloads have never bothered it.

Having pulled a lot of cast boolits with an inertia puller, I've found it nerve racking, noisy, and it usually damages some of the brass.