PDA

View Full Version : Time for my summer cut

Jim
06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
The daytime highs finally went into the mid 80s today. Time to get sheared!

Janet did a pretty good job in spite of the fact that she has no experience cutting hair.

Firebricker
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
You handsome dog you ! Jim if you had on a baseball hat with that shirt you would be a dead ringer for Magnum P.I. lol FB

RoyEllis
06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
:holysheep Ya really got sheared Jim!!! My wife still cuts my hair too, but I AIN'T posting no pics....she's blind in one eye & diabetes has almost got the other one as well. But it makes her feel "needed" to do such stuff for me so I dug out the old boonie hat, don't leave home without my cover.
Wish I lived closer, we'd go perch jerkin' or somethin. Next time I get that way (Blacksburg Va) to visit grandkids & such, maybe I can look ya up. Son in law pastors a church in Blacksburg, looks like it isn't too far from Floyd.

Sweetpea
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Careful, Jim... You're pretty close to lookin civilized...

Brandon

Doc Highwall
06-12-2013, 03:49 PM
My wife was not too sure about cutting my hair the first time, and I asked her how hard is to follow a Q-ball.
I use to have her cut it short and then I would shave it.

square butte
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Looks like you still have quite a bit up top. I haven't paid for a barber in at least 20 years. My wife has been cutting it all those years with no training. Shoot - I don't even look in the mirror anymore after she cuts it. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the difference between a good haircut and a bad one. Just about two weeks.

felix
06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I imagine there are quite a few of us whose wife cuts hair. I might have gone to a barber 10 times since 1965. The best hair cut I had was in Okinawa when visiting my brother. Girls are the barbers, and there is one shop in Kadena where they are nude and give Hollywood mud style facials IF a shave is not ordered as well. ... felix

JeffinNZ
06-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Looking sharp Jim and very, very soon, you will have the chance to look even sharper......tehehe.......

Ed Barrett
06-12-2013, 06:38 PM
My wife has been cutting my hair for 25 years or so. I'm half bald and I couldn't see paying a barber the same price as a full head of hair. I keep it about 1/8 inch to 3/8 inch year around and just wear a good warm hat in the winter. After doing my haircuts, my wife should be able to shear sheep, if she could get used to working bent over.

bear67
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
If the wife cuts your hair, she can't complain about your haircut. Married 45 years and I have purchased one haircut in that time--think of the money I saved to spend on "important stuff". She started with my set of Andis E clippers that I trimmed the horses ears with. Early on I was on base out at Clovis when it was still a base and got a real haircut--white sidewalls and all and she complained until it grew out. I wear it almost that short year round. I like it longer on the face than the top.

After my Dad reached 70, his regular barber died and he would get Mama Bear to cut his hair. He would try to pay her and she always refused. He would get behind her back and pay the youngest grand daughter who was in high school then $10 and my daughter thought it was a good deal all around. She cut his hair until he died. The oldest grandson is 17 and she still cuts his hair. She has always cut my hair and I quit shaving 25 years ago. I dont know if I am cheap or lazy or both.

btroj
06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Dang, looks good.

I get mine cut quarterly whether I need it or not....

DLCTEX
06-12-2013, 09:42 PM
I did the same as Jim yesterday except I went to the barber, Kim, yesterday and she took off what had accumulated since early January for $12. Not only get a haircut but get to talk hunting and fishing with her. I did notice that the bald area has grown.:grin::grin:

Bo1
06-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Nice haircut Jim...
Where I live, down here in Louisiana, my hair stay's that short or shorter year round.. :grin:
Be careful though, having a buzz cut gets addicting...

mroliver77
06-12-2013, 10:21 PM
I dont have a wife so I cut my own. I go all winter without cutting it. A lady at church asked why. I said I broke my clippers. A week later the Fedex truck came down the lane. There was a brand new hair cutting kit with nice clippers! I laughed my butt off!

I usually get to sweating while putting in garden so I put on the longest guard and clip it off.

I never look as good as Jim though!
J

GaryN
06-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Dang Jim, I love the shirt. Makes me want to go back to Hawaii. My son & his wife and the grandkids live there. I have a special suitcase with all the Hawaii clothes in it.

TXGunNut
06-12-2013, 10:57 PM
I still pay for my haircuts, #1 on the sides, #2 on top, #5 thru the beard. Bad hair days have been physically impossible for years! I'll never be as pretty as Jim, tho. :wink:

SciFiJim
06-13-2013, 01:14 AM
I am another one that hasn't visited a barber in years.

I run the 3/8s comb all over my head and my wife cleans up the back and around the ears.

No/Low maintenance hair is definitely additive.

Thin Man
06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
My father was bald on top from about age 16 and grew head hair only around the sides and back of his head. He enjoyed going to the barber shop for the gossip and chatter usually found there. One day while the barber was cutting his hair he started jabbing at the barber - asking why he had to pay the full price of a haircut when he had only half as much hair as a regular customer. Rather dryly, the barber quickly replied.... "finder's fee!" The entire shop laughed on that one for quite a while. Dad just smiled and took it.

Thin Man

reloader28
06-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Mines easy.
I run the clippers over my head every week. Its as short as I can possibly make it.
Ever weld, pour concrete or build fence in 100+*?
You dont want that hair.

DeanWinchester
06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
I've come to the conclusion that cutting hair is a waste of time. The stuff just grows right back. It's easy to stuff it in a ponytail holder and forget it. The only hair I cut is on my upper lip. I do use some scissors to keep it from rolling over into my mouth. I like to eat too much to be inhibited by such.

Looks good on you though friend, Janet did a good job.

DeanWinchester
06-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Mines easy.
I run the clippers over my head every week. Its as short as I can possibly make it.
Ever weld, pour concrete or build fence in 100+*?
You dont want that hair.

I used to be the same way. My hair cuts consisted on a trash can and a set of Oster dog clippers. Buzz it off to the skin and slap on a hat. Repeat monthly. The wife hated it, always did. She begged me to let it grow out 'just a little', then all but demanded I stop shaving it. So I did. I haven't cut it since August, it's touching my shoulders now. I thought to myself, "well, maybe if I look like a long haired hippie, she will change her mind". Eeeehhhhhh! Wrong! Now she thinks I look like one of the Robertson clan (Duck dynasty) to which she is of the opinion that 'Jace is a fine looking fella, and Si is a very cute old man.'
Defiance is a funny thing. It'll blow up in your face if you ain't careful. Oh well, I save money of shavin soap and razors. LOL

Trey45
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
That's one sturdy camera you have there. Built pretty tough is it?

mroliver77
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM

My Robertson look (mid winter)
J

linotype
06-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Sharp look there, Jim.
Only difference with me is that I stand in line with the woolies for shearing, and I wear boring over-the-hill guy clothes.

dakotashooter2
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I have to cut mine... If it is 60 degrees or warmer my head is just hot. I worked outside most of the winter without a hat at temps down to -15 because if I put even a ball cap on my head began to sweat. So now it is "stand up" short............

WILCO
06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
I never look as good as Jim though!

Same here. Always enjoy the Hawiian shirts too. Inspired me some time ago to get a few.

dakotashooter2
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
And with the dogs sleeping in the bed......................It's easier to pick the ticks out in the morning.................

Jim
06-13-2013, 06:30 PM
That's one sturdy camera you have there. Built pretty tough is it?

:bigsmyl2:

Para82
06-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Wife cuts my hair and beard. Have not payed for a haircut in 23 years!

MakeMineA10mm
06-15-2013, 12:00 AM
You guys trust your wives standing behind you with a sharp instrument?!? Not me, brother!!!

I started getting flattops a few years ago, just to irritate her, but she loves them... Now, I'm thinking that was just a ploy to convince me to let her do them. Not me! That $10/month to the barber is cheap insurance if you ask me!
:wink: