PDA

View Full Version : Soda can gas checks

Gordyf
06-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Hi all
I have read in these pages that a suitable gas check may be made from a... soda can.
I don't know, but I've been told.
Imagine the smile when, while going through some old cast bullets given to me, I found these with checks made from my very favorite soda can73291

JeffinNZ
06-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Soda cans are able to used though it depends on two factors. The gauge of the side wall of the can and the final thickness of the check itself.

Our cans are only 4 thou so two layers is OK for .22 but not much else. The more layers you have the more difficult it is to form a nice check. Prior to getting 16 thou material from Yonky I used to ply a piece of 12 thou litho plate with a layer of soda can and make 16 thou checks that are brilliant.

EMC45
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Ummmmmm, I don't think that's "soda"..............

dverna
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I think the "soda" can checks are intended for PB bullets. Thin metal will not work on a bullet with a GC heel.

Don Verna

reloader28
06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
It works on a gas check bullet if you double and triple, but as Jeff said, it dont work great.
They do work on plain base boolits very well though.

Uncle Jimbo
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Ummmmmm, I don't think that's "soda"..............

I think you are right. Looks to be a Budweiser can. One of my favorite soda for sure.
but back to the topic, I find that Mountain Dew cans work very well and Guinness beer cans also make very good checks. Never mic'ed either, but found they work very well. Make nice checks for my 35 PB with a Pat Marlin maker.

dakotashooter2
06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Those soda cans are starting to get pretty thin. When you can't hold a full can without squeezing soda out the opening..........it's too thin...................