PDA

View Full Version : What's a good source for Tin?

45 Shooter
06-11-2013, 08:00 PM
I know it's probablly been asked here but i'm a new guy, so go easy. Where do you get your Tin at to harden your mix? I'm hearing lead free solder, is that pure Tin? Or is there an alternative?

HangFireW8
06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Most solder has a lot of tin, not just the lead free stuff.

Many electronics manufacturers are dumping standard lead/tin solders in favor of lead-free tin/antimony solders for ROHS. This is the biggest opportunity for casters since the mass retirement of linotype presses a few decades ago.

HF

Baja_Traveler
06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Tin and affordable are two words that do not go together. Your best option is to hit the flea markets and second hand stores looking for hall marked pewter. That's the only way I know to get tin onto your alloy without breaking the bank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

badbob454
06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
old radiator shops have solder drippings , .pewter, solder,swiping solder from telephone companys , and the swapping and selling forum on this website . all good sourcesalso roto metals has a fair price or your local recycler i have found the solder people strip off the rolls to turn in for lead , usually have some tin lead antimony in them .. good luck ....

bhn22
06-11-2013, 10:13 PM
95/5 leadfree solder. It's 95% tin, and 5% antimony. Yes, tin is expensive.

Larry Gibson
06-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Tin is "expensive" but a little bit goes a long ways. 3.2 ounces tin does 10 lbs of COWWs at 2%. One lb of tin at 2% does 50 lbs of COWWs.

I scrounge 50/50 or 60/40 tin/lead solder when I can but prefer to buy it pure. Check with Rotometals or the antimonyman.com.

Adding tin does more than just "harden" the alloy. It also makes the alloy flow better thereby increasing mould fill out and it mixes with the antimony making it go better into solution with the lead creating a much better alloy. Adding tin is well worth the expense for better bullets, less rejects and a lot less frustration with poor bullets and less than expected fillout.

Larry Gibson

jmort
06-12-2013, 12:34 AM
No more Antimony Man - site is still up but I called a couple days ago and I believe his wife answered and was exasperated - "The business is closed" and "There is no more business" - and then she hung up. Someone else said they called and they were told he is in nursing home. I like the cut pieces from Roto Metals

303Guy
06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
I got mine from the scrap metal recyclers - they have plenty pewter ware in my parts and it's not that expensive at all. Something like NZ$8.50/kg. I'm wondering now whether I'll live long enough to use up my supply - well at that price ....... ?