PDA

View Full Version : Colonascopy

mroliver77
06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I went yesterday for my first ever colonoscopy. I had said a couple years back that I would never ever.......
After a few threads here on it and friends and family telling me I WILL get it done I did it. Not too bad at all. I do keep calling my Drs. name in my sleep now! :kidding::kidding:
Jay

DougGuy
06-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Haha.. I had one in 2000. I was in the hosp in Kansas City for a week, they did every test in the book but I had some kind of GI infection but after a week of demerol on demand, and doing the GI cleanout where nothing but clear water was coming out, they decided I was ready for mine.. They wheel me in there, and this big amazon looking blonde nurse says to me, "What are we in for?" and me, in my ratted out just about tired of all this mess by now attitude says to her "Read the f'n chart.."

Oh man, wrong thing to do.. Here is this thing laying over there all coiled up like a big blacksnake, and two other nurses come in with a veritable TV tray lined up one end to the other with loaded up syringes, they start hitting me in both shunts, and the last thing I remember, was "Greta" and her minions, walking in the room completely covered head to toe in green rubber suits, black gloved hands held upward, and that look of "I'VE GOT YER **** NOW BUDDY!" on the big nurse's face, I could see it through her big clear visor.. And the other two nurses just had these evil grins...

All I can really say about that, is thank God for the "amnesia" shot!

dragonrider
06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Been there done that several times, One of the percs of becoming a fossil.

doctorggg
06-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I had my first 1 at age 47 due to bleeding. It saved my life. They removed a pre malignant tumor that the doc told me became cancer 100% of the time. he said it would have been cancer before 18 months had passed. So I would have been in real trouble by age 50 when they rec. the first one. I have had 1 every 3 years since. I'm 58 and due again 12/14. Fun, Fun, Fun. It's not the procedure it's the prep that sucks.

mroliver77
06-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Ya liquid diet the previous day followed by 12 hours of diarrhea. I did a prep years ago and thought I would die from cramps and all! This time not near so bad.
My ladyfriends hubby died at 54 from CC. She was adamant about me getting it done.
J

scottiemom
06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
yep, it's not the scope that is so bad, but the prep will kill ya!!

Boyscout
06-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Family history and a bad first one. I've done five now and they get easier each time and the prep is less onerous.

Para82
06-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Had mine last year at age 51. Procedure was a piece of cake. No where near as bad as everyone told me. Prep sucked though. However I was sick as a dog for about 12 hours afterward. Dr had to use a lot of anesthesia to knock me out. First time I had ever been put to sleep. Worth it for the peace of mind.

Hickory
06-11-2013, 07:21 PM
One of those million dollar experiences you wouldn't pay a nickel for.

Gibbs44
06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I had one myself, I think I was 31. Like you said the prep sucked. I'm nothing but a big kid at heart, and in a very serious situation where you're not sure if you or the next person is actually bad off or not, the ornery sounds coming from the tent beside you is hilarious. Then you realize it was coming from you the whole time. I can't help but laugh at impressive flatulence.

I'm glad everything was OK.

koehn,jim
06-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Had two so far and not due again till 2020 thank God. The prep is definetly the worst, but my DR gave me several color photos to show it was ok.

BoolitChaser
06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Well, here's one you can laugh about. On Damon Wayans tv show he was scheduled for a colonoscopy the next day and had a dream about it the night before. I watch this before and after I have one and it lightens the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1go72c5H8

-O. D.-

Wayne Smith
06-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks, that helped. I've gotta call my MD and schedule my second one.

mroliver77
06-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I hope this thread encourages those that are resisting to get it done. It can save your life! My friend John Miller didnt do it and died some years back. I miss the guy!
Jay

nvbirdman
06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
The author Vince Flynn passed away today from prostate cancer. A colonoscopy probably would have found that a year or two ago and saved his life.

gofastman
06-19-2013, 06:39 PM
The best part is those MASSIVE farts you let out when you are done, hahaha, I didnt know a person could hold that much air!

BorderBrewer
06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I go in for my 3rd one on July 1st. I have UC so I am on a more frequent schedule. The worst part is the gallon of salts that you have to drink beforehand. I always leave with photos for my album. : )

Hamish
06-19-2013, 06:54 PM
At least it wasn't an esophagogastroduodenoscopy.[smilie=1:

gofastman
06-19-2013, 06:58 PM
At least it wasn't an esophagogastroduodenoscopy.[smilie=1:

Is that the one where the go in through your mouth? I had that before and it really sucks.
The whole time I was wondering if they use the same camera they use for colonascopy :lol:

10-x
06-19-2013, 07:01 PM
If you go to Mayo they have different levels of "putting you to sleep". You can opt for the very mild and stay awake through the procedure. Yea the prep sux big time , the gas afterwards is from the air they "inject' to get a clear view. Have had several guys I used to shoot with die from CC, if they had only gone to the Dr.

skeet1
06-19-2013, 08:47 PM
I just had my 4th one done last week. The doctor found one polyp which the doctor removed and it came back from the lab benign. This time the stuff you drink was much better than when I drank the gallon of liquid. This time it was half as much to drink and was flavored with grape. It sure worked just as well as the old stuff.

My father died of colon cancer so I have them about every four years. I would highly recommend everyone to have it done. It's not that bad.

Ken

pmeisel
06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I had my first last winter due to chronic diarhhea. They found cancer which was removed surgically a couple weeks ago after several weeks of radiation. Doc said it was more or less just in time, to be a relatively simple surgery, with clean after-surgery path results. A few more months and things could have been much worse.

mroliver77
06-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Paul,
Good to hear it was caught early! My good friend had same but is doing ok. Well worth the discomfort to get a scope.
J

I had my first last winter due to chronic diarhhea. They found cancer which was removed surgically a couple weeks ago after several weeks of radiation. Doc said it was more or less just in time, to be a relatively simple surgery, with clean after-surgery path results. A few more months and things could have been much worse.