PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock pistol redux

waksupi
06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
A guy sent me this pistol, and I really do wish I had taken "before" pictures. It was a text book example of EVERYTHING you can do wrong when building a gun. And I mean EVERYTHING!
When someone decides to build his first muzzleloader, they think a pistol project will be easier than a long gun. Not so. I consider pistols MUCH more difficult to build. Lotsa stuff has to go into a small package. And they are a bugger to hold in a good working position in a vise.
Anyway, his loss is my gain, as he was frustrated enough to just give it to me. So, I did a new stock for it, and fit things properly. I just finished shooting it, and once I learn it, I do believe this will be a fun pistol to play with!

Dean D.
06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Once again, an absolutely stunning work of art. Thanks for sharing Ric!

square butte
06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Looks pretty good for a basket case. Would like to have seen a before photo. Sometimes problem solving can be fun and quite rewarding. I have a Pedersoli Bess carbine that was originally a kit. Guy who put it together rounded way to many corners - chips out here and there. Gearing up to rehab it in an aged fashion that will make it look woods worn and hopefully well patinated in a pleasing way.

Maven
06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
You need to send it to me for testing, Ric especially since the local beaver population is out of control. (We really do have them, not 2 miles from my house. No pets though, or should I say, not yet?)

Whiterabbit
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Lovely pistol.

Pb2au
06-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Very beautiful. What is the bore size on that?

Whiterabbit
06-14-2013, 11:58 PM
what tools do you use to inlet the lock from the wood blank, after you form the lock area?

Bored1
06-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Damn. How come I never get free projects? Or yea YOU did send me quite the project. Watered it and "watched" it for awhile today!!! Guess that saying about what you put out comes back 10x is true huh?

Hanshi
06-15-2013, 02:04 PM
:violin: No one ever gives me anything:(.

waksupi
06-15-2013, 04:13 PM
what tools do you use to inlet the lock from the wood blank, after you form the lock area?

This is a 20 bore.

Chisels all the way. You inlet the lock, THEN form the panels. Otherwise, you can easily find out you run out of panel.

How IS that garden coming? Mine is doing great.

Whiterabbit
06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
This is a 20 bore.

Chisels all the way. You inlet the lock, THEN form the panels. Otherwise, you can easily find out you run out of panel.

How IS that garden coming? Mine is doing great.

front is done for the summer, can't put in dormant grass. gonna wait till it starts raining again.

Got the veggies in the back. Tomato and squash. random-spot digging and just let God bless it. No casualties yet, though one squash is struggling. Most of the plants look happy though.

Whiterabbit
06-15-2013, 04:26 PM
:violin: No one ever gives me anything:(.

C'mon over, Hanshi, I'll give you a great big hug. On the way out, you might get a swift kick in the rump though. All in good fun, of course.