PDA

View Full Version : Preheating molds

black44hawk
09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow, I feel like a novice asking this. How do you preheat your mold? I have always used Lee aluminum molds which heat up nicely when slightly submerged in the molten metal. However, I bought an RCBS 429 250 K and it takes a long time to heat up. Can you stick a steel mold into the molten metal? Are there other preferred ways to heat them?

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2007, 01:59 PM
It wont hurt them to put them in the melt. I also have used a propane torch to do it. Only thing ive ever seen warp is the spruce plate on a 6 cavity lee mold. but dont know if that was the cause or it was just a bad plate for the git go

borderman
09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I use a hot plate with a small weight plate (from a barbell set) on the coil to smooth out the heat a little.

targetshootr
09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I leave mine on a gas stove burner for five minutes, minimum.

Ricochet
09-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I dip mine in the lead, just like with the Lees, and have had no problems. Can't do that with the hollowpoint moulds with the hollowpoint pin in place, though.

Namerifrats
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I dip my Aluminum moulds in the lead, I read somewhere that you aren't suppose to dip iron or steel in the lead because it could solder the blocks together. I think it was in the LEE 2nd Editional Manual. Might be true, or might just be Richard Lee trying to make you think you should only buy Aluminum moulds from them, not sure. :roll:

dubber123
09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I use a propane torch, keeping the flame moving around. When any oil or my LBT mould lube starts to smoke off, it's just about right to start casting. Saves a bunch of time, and I haven't hurt a mould yet.

testhop
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Ijust Set Ahe Mould On The Casting Pot Till It Is Ready To Pour If I Want To Get The Mould Very Hot Like To Get Lead Splatter Off I Will Just Get A Biger Latle And Pour Till The There Is No Spruenot Even Opening The Moulds Theb Take A Rough Rag
A Old Towel Works Good And Wipe The Mould Off This Usley Takes Care Of The Flakes

Testhop

JeffinNZ
09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I cast a lot in the winter and preheat the moulds on the top of the wood burner in our living room. About 1/2 hour is good.

Of course the new house we have bought has a heat pump so that method is now "toast".

pdgraham
09-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I set the mold under the pot as it warms up.. then I cast about 6.. let em soak for 30 sec or so and throw them back.. and its hot..

fatnhappy
09-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I sit mine right on the pot from the git go. I would be hard pressed to believe I could warp a mould if it's started on the lead at room temperature.

During the winter i cast in the garage and put my moulds and extra ingots on the the cast iron wood burning stove while the pot warms up.

Ricochet
09-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Lead doesn't stick to iron moulds, either.