PDA

View Full Version : What is Dacron?

mrblue
06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
So I know that its a pillow stuffing poly fiber of sorts. And i know you can find it in the hobby sections of walmart or the fabric aisle. however, when i did this I find nothing with that name. Anyone got any more generic terms it is. A picture of what it is exactly, the bag and how you guys are loading it in the brass would work wonders for me. Thanks

35remington
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Dacron is known as "100 percent polyester fiberfill" and will say just that on the bags.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

Have fun.

btroj
06-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Buy some polyester fiber batting and go to town.

mrblue
06-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys, this will help with the weird question I was hoping to avoid with the ladies at the fabric counter!

kevindtimm
06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys, this will help with the weird question I was hoping to avoid with the ladies at the fabric counter!

Every time we walk up to the counter they know it's going be weird :)

Larry Gibson
06-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Dacron is polyester. You can get it at WalMart in the fabic sections in bags as stuffing or, as I prefer, in bags of batting. Picured are 2 bags of "high loft" and "Extra loft" which are the thickness of batting I prefer. These are the small bags and they will "do" a lot, gob, bunch, etc. of cartridges. Each is less than $5 out the door. There are also larger bags for less than $20 out the door wich will keep you in filler for a long time.

Larry Gibson

303Guy
06-11-2013, 12:44 AM
I assume the Quilters Batting is fine like Dacron. What makes Dacron special is its fineness. One can get filter medium polyester fibre but that is courser and I don't think it's the best for what we want but it will work I'm sure. Dacron is a brand name, that's all.

Larry Gibson
06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Quilters Batting

That is Dacron. The technical name is "polyester". The trade name was/is "Dacron". Same stuff.

Larry Gibson

ku4hx
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I was hoping to avoid with the ladies at the fabric counter!

I've had them ask. I just tell the the truth, grin and walk away. They just stare.

There's a shotgun cleaning tip on http://www.theboxotruth.com/ where the guy uses Tampax to clean his 12 Gauge. He even recommends what exactly to buy. I bought some of that too and got no odd looks at all. Shame really, I was all ready to give them an answer they'd never forget.

David2011
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Dacron is du Pont's tradmarked name for polyester.

David

somedude101
06-11-2013, 12:38 PM
I had an old comforter and cut it up the used the stuffing. A thrift store blanket will give you more darcon than you could ever use.