PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a Lyman 311410? 130gr Non-GC'd

possom813
06-10-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm sure I could get away from the computer and go get a manual, but that's a long 20' when I'm comfy on the couch :lol:

I have this mold, haven't cast a lot with it, just a few, and it drops a nice boolit.

I don't think I can push it fast enough to cycle a semi-auto, so I was thinking it would be a fun .30-30 plinker bullet, just something to have a few made.

I figure, without the gas check, I can shoot these at just about the same cost as .22lr right now, and I can replenish these, heck they may even be a little bit cheaper to shoot.

I'm figuring a trail boss or unique load, anyone have a pet load for this mold?

alfloyd
06-10-2013, 03:11 AM
You can use it the M1 Carbine or for the 7.63X39 round.
I use it in my M1 Carbine, works great.

Lafaun

ku4hx
06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
7.62x39 and plinkers in 30-30 and 30-06.

jimb16
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I use it in the .30-06, .30 carbine, .30-30 and the 762x39. Tried it in the Garand, but it didn't work well for me, so I stick to the 03A3.

rfd
10-19-2013, 08:09 AM
how accurate can this boolit be in the 30-06? lyman's cast boolit manual sez aa5744 works well with it, but in terms of accuracy .... ?

longbow
10-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I am shooting the Mihec version 316410 in my .303's with great success. It was available as GC or PB and I elected PB because I am cheap and lazy. I figure if it turns out I need a gascheck I will make myself a PB gas check maker.

So far I am very happy with it and accuracy seems quite good. At least as good as any other of my commercial moulds and I am getting around 1 1/2" at 50 yards. That is with a scoped but otherwise stock Lee Enfield #5. I have gotten better groups with some boolits and while not benchrest accuracy it is decent for plinking and I am sure with work group sizes can be reduced some.

My load is 18 to 22 grs. of IMR4227 with filler of COW + graphite powder. I have not loaded the boolit without filler but have found with others that at moderate load levels using Unique or IMR4227 I got leading without fillers. I have not checked but am guessing velocities are in the 1600 to 1800 FPS range at that point.

I found that the COW filler and I get along where many do not like fillers. Different strokes.

I plan to see how fast I can push them both with and without filler before leading becomes an issue. However, with this load of about 20 grs. of IMR4227 the HP version vapourizes a gallon jug of water at 50 yards! Lots of fun and impressive performance for a cast boolit at moderate velocity. Need some range time though and that seems rare lately.

Longbow

curator
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Longbow,

Are you mixing graphite powder with COW to get better "flow" through bottle necked cases? Are you seeing any obvious drop in pressure adding the graphite? I have been substituting plastic shot buffer in cases like .303 British, .308Win, 6.5X55 etc because it did not pack solid behind the shoulder as COW would sometimes do. I was convinced this was working perfectly in the various cast bullet loads that perform best with a filler until I noticed odd, plastic sheets coming out of some cases I was cleaning using crushed walnut shells. Apparently the PSB is melting and adhering to the walls of the brass behind the shoulder as well. Perhaps mixing graphite with the PSB would solve this problem, although it doesn't look too serious, I don't want a buildup.

By the way, I love the Lyman 311410 loaded over 8 grains of Unique in my various .30-30s for small game.

rking22
10-19-2013, 10:02 PM
We shot a bunch of them from Win 94s . Cast from indoor range lead(we shot smallbore) we scavanged on a load of Herco. Shot as well as open sighted 22 rimfires as best I remember. Plinking loads , wonderful memories !!! Think it was 9 or 10 grains of Herco but that was in mid 70s ,1970s that is. Never had an issue with tube magazine ,but bullets were soft and recoil nonexistant.

longbow
10-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Curator:

I have just been using plain 'ol COW until recently. I have an article about adding graphite at two tablespoons per cup of COW so thought I would give it a try. So far I am seeing no difference or at least no obvious difference. I suspect the COW will not cake as much and may flow a bit better but that is speculation on my part.

I have had no negative issues using COW in my .303 loads and several positive results so I will continue using it. I know there are stories about how it absorbs moisture and cakes and can form a plug and... but I loaded up 25 rounds, took 5 outside and put them in an open baggie so they were exposed to the humidity but not directly soaked by rain and snow. I left 20 in the basement and the 5 outside for a year then pulled a boolit from each and saw no difference. The COW had "hardened" up a bit but was certainly not solid and with a little poking it broke up easily. I could not tell any difference when I shot them either. The 5 that were loaded and left outside outside for a year, the 20 that were loaded and left inside for a year and fresh loads all performed the same. I am satisfied.

I started using COW originally because I was shooting PB boolits and wanted to push them a little harder. I had read David Southall's article on 303british.com about using filler to compensate for worn throats and oversize bores so thought I would give it a try. It worked for me.

Not sure I would use COW in a cartridge like a .243, .264 Winchester or .22-250 but I certainly have no problems using it in my .303's and see several benefits. I have been getting good accuracy with no signs of excess pressure. I am not loading particularly hot but I am using loads that leaded with PB boolits and no filler.

Another option I have read about but not tried is to use a tuft of Dacron to fill the air space then compressed to the bottom of the case neck, then just enough COW to fill the neck then seat the boolit. This eliminates any issues with filler squeezing past the shoulder (if there are any) but still protects the base of the boolit. I will probably try this sometime but so far I am happy with what I am doing.

My view is that the .30-30 is an ideal cartridge to use the 311410 in with or without the filler. Certainly they can be pushed to a good plinking/small game velocity without filler. Might be a bit pointy for use a tube magazine though, best to single load for those even though recoil should be very light.

I have a fondness for IMR4227 but I am sure Unique, 700X, Green Dot and several other powders would work well with it in .30-30. 10 grs. of 700X under the NOE 0.314" x 129 gr. boolit gave quite impressive performance from my .303. That was with GC though and a pretty zippy load. A little lighter charge should also work well in .30-30 with the 311410.

I am liking mine a lot.

Longbow