PDA

View Full Version : First time casting

Lights
06-09-2013, 11:57 PM
My son's and I got home from Prairie dog shooting on Saturday and our lead furnace had arrived. After Church today we got a chance to try and cast some .356-120 TC boolits from a Lee mold. These are for my middle son's 9mm Taurus OSS DS. The first 50 or so I did not turn out. The mold was not warm enough. But once it warmed up and I kept up a good pace, They looked great. They came out at .357" in diameter and 122.5 grains. Now I just need to get a .356" sizing kit. His barrel slugged at .355" But I can not find one in stock anywhere.:cry: Here is a picture of what we made. Wish I could get my camera to take a good close up. These things look pretty nice.

waco
06-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I have the same mold only in six cavity. Mine fall from the mold with my alloy at .359
I size to .358 and lube with BAC

ku4hx
06-10-2013, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't size them at all. My mold drops that boolit at .358" and cases size that down to .357". They chamber and shoot just fine unsized. I generally size my boolits, but I've found this one and the Lee 124 grain RN don't need it with my alloy.

Lights
06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't size them at all. My mold drops that boolit at .358" and cases size that down to .357". They chamber and shoot just fine unsized. I generally size my boolits, but I've found this one and the Lee 124 grain RN don't need it with my alloy.

I just loaded a dummy round and pulled it. I used the Lee FCD backed out to just remove the flare on the case mouth. It sized it down to .356".:happy dance: I also cycled it in the gun and it cycled great without setting it back. OAL is 1.075". I think the barrel will squeeze the front band of the boolit down just fine.