PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Prices

JIMinPHX
06-09-2013, 11:24 PM
I went to a gun show today & I saw some prices that caught my eye.

AR pattern rifles are plentiful again & I saw prices as low as $850 on a new DPMS. Bushys were about the same. Naturally prices went up from there. I didn't see any of them selling.

Some guys were trying to get $10-15 for 30 round AR mags. One guy had a whole crate full of them (used) for $6 each. Tapco 30-round AK mags were as low as $10 each & not flying off the shelves.

.223 ammo ranged from $8/box of steel case to $20 per box of brass case. .38 special ranged from $18-30 per 50. 9mm ranged from $20-35 per 50. .22lr ranged from $50-75 per brick of 500 & I didn't see any selling. Availability of all above calibers was fair. Most of the ammo on the tables looked shelf worn.

One guy had plenty of powder but prices were high, like $30/lb average. He had primers for $45/M. The boxes looked new. I don't think that it was old stock.

One guy had a nice looking H&G 4-cav with handles for $180. The price was out of my range so I left it.

New handguns of all descriptions were plentiful.

My conclusion: Gun supply is starting to catch up, but ammo still lags behind.

edit: One thing seemed really out f step with everything else. The price of SKS rifles has shot sky high. They started at $550 & went up from there. I was surprised to find that J&G is now also charging $500 each for them. They are not the cheap rifle they once were. MN bolt guns have come up to around $190 each, which I think is still reasonable for what they actually are, but not cheap like they have been in the past.

Also surprising to me, several tables had case quantities of 300 Blackout ammo. The price was about the same as most other calibers, or maybe a bit cheaper.

Fishman
06-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the update. The other day one of my friends walked into walmart and they had a DPMS AR on the shelf for $590. He called around and nobody needed it. Another friend just got a bolt carrier last week that was on backorder. Things are getting better.

Gliden07
06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I have heard thru the Grapevine that the AR's are not selling. My LGS had 50 of them on the shelf! The people that bought them during the panic after Sandy Hook bought them for a couple reasons 1) They wanted one before they were banned, or 2) They bought them with the hopes of reselling them at stupid high prices to people that didn't know any better. You are right about ammo it is lagging compared to firearms. Even components are scarce. Powder and primers are still real high if you can find them at all. I've been pretty lucky my LGS is small and not well known but it is well stocked! I have not dealt with many of the shortages many here have!

JIMinPHX
06-10-2013, 12:03 AM
The other day one of my friends walked into walmart and they had a DPMS AR on the shelf for $590.

I saw several AR pattern .22lr cal for around $500-600. Could it have been one of those?

When I find a regular .223 cal AR in good shape for less than $600, I may finally break down & buy one.

dakotashooter2
06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Most sporting goods stores I've been in will probably have enough mags to last them 10 years...... I hope mag producers have a backup plan because the market seems to be flooded. The upside is It makes for a lot of "preban" mags if something changes.

Fishman
06-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I saw several AR pattern .22lr cal for around $500-600. Could it have been one of those?

When I find a regular .223 cal AR in good shape for less than $600, I may finally break down & buy one.

No it was the DPMS Oracle 5.56 chambered AR with no dust cover or forward assist, flat top with no sights. I have one I picked up at a gun show before the crazyness and they are just fine. $590 is regular Walmart price.

JIMinPHX
06-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Gun show in Houston about a week ago, .22LR was marked $95/brick. I didn't see any selling.

GaryN
06-29-2013, 09:29 PM
I've noticed in the classifieds here locally that there are a lot of guns for sale and few takers. I have also started seeing some good buys on guns. At least it is now going in the right direction.

Frank46
06-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Think it will be a buyer's market soon. Those that didn't get enough ammo for their new toys may just be starting to figure out that it's about time to sell. Except they won't anything near what they paid for it. Our local walmart has had empty shelves since december, academy has ammo but none of the popular pistol calibers, cabela's also has ammo but at least a better selection. Frank

TX.shotgun01
06-30-2013, 09:24 AM
The local ammo stores around here are starting to have more ammo on the shelf for most calibers, 22LR are still hard to find. The gun shops are getting more guns and reloading stuff in stock, I think its starting to calm down some. Tom

imashooter2
06-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday here in the Philly suburbs and they had a case of Winchester M-22 "Tactical" .22LR at $49.99 per 500. I let it be as I have plenty, but it was nice to see ANY .22LR on the shelf.

GRUMPA
06-30-2013, 10:58 AM
The local ammo stores around here are starting to have more ammo on the shelf for most calibers, 22LR are still hard to find. The gun shops are getting more guns and reloading stuff in stock, I think its starting to calm down some. Tom

That may be the case, but from what I'm hearing they are getting the shelves stocked to a point but with an average increase in price of around 25%. Can't verify it myself but even a little increase in price with the way the economy seems to be is still high.

Ed Barrett
06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
I went up to wal-mart today and took my usual stroll through the sporting goods Dept. and much to my surprise they had pistol ammo. Three different types of 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 spl. and .357. No .45 ACP, .380, or .22 LR. The clerk said this was the first time in 5 months that the pistol ammo lasted past 9:00 am. Looks pretty good here in Lebanon. I haven't bought any ammo for myself in many years, but if it breaks loose I should be able to start getting some once fired cases from the range. Still no small primers rifle or pistol to be found and no Varget or 4895.

Swamp Man
06-30-2013, 06:01 PM
I haven't been out checking any of the places here in a few weeks. However I would think if there was any around it's being bought up like wild fire right now. People in Fl are getting ready for the Zimmerman/Martin war to break out. Glad I have plenty of 30.06,410,22LR and .44mag on hand.

Bzcraig
06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I was on GB for the first time in a long while and was surprised guns, ammo, and components seemed plentiful compared to 2/3 months ago. Was really surprised to see lots of 223 bullets. My LGS still doesn't have much so still waiting before I will be completely back into the swing of things.

searcher4851
07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Was in my local Wally world yesterday morning and did the obligatory cruise by the ammo cabinet and they actually had .40 and .380 on the shelves. No .22 LR though. Plenty of shotgun and a wider variety of rifle ammo for a change. They actually downsized the ammo cabinet in the last couple of months filling the bottom half with knives and scopes, since they've had so little ammo this year.

Pb2au
07-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I just picked up some CCI LP primers over the weekend for 27.95$ on the 1000. Ironically, it was about 4$ cheaper than the last time (before the scare) I bought them. Same vendor BTW.