PDA

View Full Version : Smelting in ammo can?

KYShooter73
06-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Anyone know of any special dangers of smelting in a 50 cal ammo can? Just trying to make do with what I have....

dragon813gt
06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Go to Walmart and buy a cheap pot. I would never attempt it in an ammo can. It's not what it's designed for and molten lead is not something you want to mess around with.

Jeffrey
06-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Let's see.. You've got fumes from paint burning off, seam around the bottom of the can holding moisture (search "tinsel fairy") or leaking. A cheap stainless steel or cast iron pot can be had for far less than the cost of a visit to the emergency room. There are MANY ways to do this hobby on a budget while staying safe. Smelting in an ammo can isn't one of them. Most of all STAY SAFE. J

Orygun
06-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gliden07
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Try your local Goodwill or Salvation Army! I bought a large SS pot at my local Goodwill for 3 bucks!! Don't risk the ammo can not worth the emergency room bill!!

imashooter2
06-09-2013, 08:07 PM
One of the old heads here promoted the .50 can for smelting for years. The paint will burn off along with the assorted crud on the scrap lead. Any moisture will evaporate since you have to start the pot cold. The bottom seam is fully welded and the sides are bent over to give it mechanical support in excess of the welding. Not what I would choose, but I can't see any hazard in it.

(Note that cheap steel pots and cast iron Dutch ovens aren't designed for melting lead either.)

WILCO
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't do it. Get a dutch oven from harbor freight or even use a chinese cast iron skillet for your smelting.

shadowcaster
06-09-2013, 08:22 PM
With so many simple, affordable pots out there that we can smelt in.. I say leave the ammo can for the ammo. A cast iron or stainless steel pot from the good will for only a few dollars will last a long, safe time. This is one hobby that can be done safely and very easy on a budget.

Shad

KYShooter73
06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks folks. Just looking for something non-aluminum that I already have, that I won't get scolded for repurposing.

Bzcraig
06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Agree with the others....cheap pots are to plentiful and cheap. The other thing is while fluxing you need to stir and stirring in a square box will be difficult at best, round pot wins again brother!

KYCaster
06-09-2013, 08:48 PM
I fail to understand why the ammo can would be a problem...????????
It's just as strong as most cook ware and certainly more durable than Chinese cast iron.

Jerry

WILCO
06-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I fail to understand why the ammo can would be a problem...????????
It's just as strong as most cook ware and certainly more durable than Chinese cast iron.

Jerry

Simply because it's an "Unknown" use. Lots of variables to contend with. Chinese cookware in the cast iron form has proven it's worth. At least in my book.

imashooter2
06-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Simply because it's an "Unknown" use. Lots of variables to contend with. Chinese cookware in the cast iron form has proven it's worth. At least in my book.

Oh please... Fact is it's a steel box, fully welded and far tougher and more damage resistant than the junk Harbor Freight Dutch oven that I, and many others, have melted thousands of pounds in. So far the only legitimate detraction is that it is a rectangular shape and that may make it more difficult to flux and pour.

ubetcha
06-09-2013, 09:09 PM
When I was drilling water wells with my father-in-law,I made a couple of pot using 8" well casing's and welded a piece of flat stock to the bottom. Will never burn out in my life time nor who ever gets them after me. Might want to vist you local scrap yard and see what they can do for you cheaply. Very hard to tip over empty or with alloy inside

Bored1
06-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I am pretty sure that it would work.

However with what you have at stake, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

A brick will set a nail for you too, but I would NOT suggest you use a brick to set that nail that popped loose on the wife's china hutch with the china in it!!!! [smilie=1:

dverna
06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
If you decide to use an ammo can, please let us know how you made out.

Last time I tried buying a .50 can they were over $11 plus shipping. Maybe you could trade someone local who needs an ammo can for an old pot you can smelt in.

Don Verna

D Crockett
06-10-2013, 10:56 PM
KYshooter if you will pay the postage I will make you a steel pot to melt you lead in D Crockett

Bzcraig
06-11-2013, 12:15 AM
KYshooter if you will pay the postage I will make you a steel pot to melt you lead in D Crockett

There's an offer you should not refuse!

Jens
06-11-2013, 12:23 AM
I used to use a metal 5 gallon pail. it worked but was kind of thin. now we are using a cut down propane tank. much better.

KYShooter73
06-11-2013, 12:36 AM

That is extremely generous. Thank you so much. Sending pm.

Love Life
06-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Been there, done that. No nuclear explosion, no tinsel fairy, no noxious fumes. I must have smelted over 200 lbs in one before I decided that smelting ranked up there with case trimming on my list of things I hate to do.

I smelted outside and kept an eye on things.

45-70 Chevroner
06-11-2013, 12:48 AM
At the swap meet about 3 weeks ago 50 cal. ammo cans were selling for $22.00 each.

Ole
06-11-2013, 12:56 AM
All other concerns aside, personally I'd rather smelt out of a shallow round container vs a deep rectangle.

dromia
06-11-2013, 01:39 AM
So far the only legitimate detraction is that it is a rectangular shape and that may make it more difficult to flux and pour.

Concur, that is what would make me look for something more suitable shape wise, seems like it would be a bugger to alloy with. However if you endeavour to persevere at working into the corners when smelting I am sure it would serve.

I have seen ammo cans used for all sorts of use and robust they are.

olafhardt
06-11-2013, 02:15 AM
I have had a handle on a cheap pan break when it had hot water in it. After you cast iron guys die how do you know nobody is going to cook in those old pots. I personally think using cookwear to process lead is inherently unsafe. I just smelt in my melter. And horrors, it produces toxic vapors.

ku4hx
06-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I once owned a novelty 20 oz. coffee mug ... it was square. Even though I knew it was just a novelty, I drank from it knowing I needed to have the very hot liquid pour from the corner. That was the theory. It was big, had a rather unwieldy little finger hold. I managed to get the flat side toward my mouth and a wide flow of fresh, very hot coffee just poured right onto my chin and chest. To paraphrase Robert Burns ... The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Get a proper pot.

Sasquatch-1
06-11-2013, 07:32 AM
If funds are tight look for an air conditioning mechanic and ask if he has any empty refrigerant tanks. They are not refilled and generally just thrown in the trash. Cut it in half and the bottom makes an excellent smelting pot.

Idz
06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
A heads up on refrigerant tanks. If you cut them with a torch the older R12 refrigerant decomposes to phosgene gas ( a WW1 nerve gas) while the newer R134 types create extremely toxic carbonyl compounds and are flammable as well. Purge your tanks well and cut them in a well ventilated area.

dragon813gt
06-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Any tanks you find will most likely be R22(green) or R410A(pink) as they are the most commonly used. The valves need to be removed for a scrap yard to take them. If you're getting them from a HVAC tech just make sure they're fully recovered. The pink bottles are thicker die to 410As higher pressures. I really can't recommend using one. The bottoms aren't flat and they aren't the most stable things. Mine are relegated to targets at the range.

A better option would be a recovery cylinder. They're constructed more like a propane cylinder w/ a reenforced ring on the bottom of it. But w/ their cost and the fact that they are reusable they aren't really an option most look at.

mold maker
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Being the junk collector I am, when an AC/heating contractor closed, I picked up 11 of the empty Freon tanks. I've made numerous things, and have only one of each left. They both will become melting pots or charcoal retorts.

TenTea
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I would use an ammo can as a last resort.
Thankfully, I'm not at the last yet. :wink:

Well...maybe not the last last, as I'm sure there are much worse ways of smelting.

Also, nice to see KYShooter73 receive such a nice offer from a forumite!

Sasquatch-1
06-12-2013, 07:05 AM
The pink bottles are thicker die to 410As higher pressures. I really can't recommend using one. The bottoms aren't flat and they aren't the most stable things.

The one I use I cut with a cutoff wheel and an electric side grinder. It works perfectly well on my turkey fryer. The only thing I need is to add a handle some how.

dragon813gt
06-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I completely understand that people use them. Personally I have to many issues w/ them at work. They fall off the scale to often when they're on their base. Now I'm sure when they're cut in half they aren't as top heavy. My stepdaughter loves shooting them and I have trouble keeping up w/ her shooting habits so I've never had a chance to cut one up.

shadowcaster
06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
If you have access to a welder and want simple, use a piece of pipe or a rim with a piece of plate steel welded to the bottom of it. You then have the option to leave it as a dipper or with a tad more work you can very easily turn it into a bottom pour.

Shad

KYShooter73
06-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Good guy, true to his word. Got a pot and mold in the mail today and tried it out. Works just like baby bear soup. Thanks alot.

wyofool
06-24-2013, 10:40 PM
I used to use a metal 5 gallon pail. it worked but was kind of thin. now we are using a cut down propane tank. much better.

I'll second that, just did it myself for my very first smelting. Works great and I had one of the older ones that can't be refilled.