PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Classic question..

j23
06-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I am in the market for a Buffalo Classic.. I am noticing two variations.. the new(er,est) Harrington and Richardson version, and then the older Wesson and Harrington version.

Any benefit/downfall to each? ..or are they for all intensive purposes, identical?

Thanks!
Joe

Green Lizzard
06-09-2013, 10:45 AM
new ones are made by remington, poorly i might add

CPL Lou
06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the Buffalo Classic is a copy of the much older Wesson and Harrington which was made during the 1870's.
I recently purchased a Buffalo Classic (new) and I am impressed with how tight and nicely fit it is.
I haven't had a chance to take her to the range yet as I have had few other rifles I have been working up cast loads for.
I have reamed (lengthened) the throat for cast boolits as the ones I cast were engaging the rifling when seated to the crimp groove. Was an easy thing to accomplish in just a few minutes at the kitchen table.
The only other thing I am aware of, as fas as special attention goes, it is very important to make sure the barrel latch on the receiver and the the place on the barrel where it engages the latch have to be free of any lube ! This helps accuracy to a great extent.

CPL Lou

gandydancer
06-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I have reamed (lengthened) the throat? I have been told that this has to be done with the H & R Buffalo classic in 38/55 also. that as it is the rifle is more of a 375 win then 38/55. any truth to this? I have had the rifle for years (new never fired) in box. anyone with information would be great. Thanks. gandy/Tom :grin:

PS why am I getting them pop up videos on here??

To the best of my knowledge, the Buffalo Classic is a copy of the much older Wesson and Harrington which was made during the 1870's.
I recently purchased a Buffalo Classic (new) and I am impressed with how tight and nicely fit it is.
I haven't had a chance to take her to the range yet as I have had few other rifles I have been working up cast loads for.
I have reamed (lengthened) the throat for cast boolits as the ones I cast were engaging the rifling when seated to the crimp groove. Was an easy thing to accomplish in just a few minutes at the kitchen table.
The only other thing I am aware of, as fas as special attention goes, it is very important to make sure the barrel latch on the receiver and the the place on the barrel where it engages the latch have to be free of any lube ! This helps accuracy to a great extent.

CPL Lou

uscra112
06-09-2013, 12:22 PM
PS why am I getting them pop up videos on here??

Because you're not running Adblock with your Firefox. You are running Firefox, aren't you?

snuffy
06-09-2013, 05:07 PM
If it's a history you want, look at this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_%26_R_Firearms

And a write up on GBO, that explains a lot more. This is a very old thread, but has some good info;

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=125957.0

I have the H&R buff classic, it's a good shooter,,,---in 45/70. IIRC they also made/make it in 38-55 and another caliber.

tomf52
06-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I have the Buffalo Classic carbine in 45 Colt. It wouldn't shoot worth a darn until I fit the latch to the latch shelf properly. It is now a tack driver. Overall the fit and finish is otherwise very good. Like an above post said don't let oil get on the latch shelf. It's supposed to affect accuracy but I cannot attest to that. The improper original fit did though.