PDA

View Full Version : Powder and Primers in the LGS

jonp
06-08-2013, 02:06 PM
I just went down to Raleigh to buy some things and stopped by the gun store. On the shelf was not much powder but to my surprise there were about 10 bottles each of H110 and W296 and the shelf was full of primers of every type. I bought a pound of H110 and a box of primers ($38/1k for CCI, Win etc) and talked to the owner. He said he kept the prices as close to the old as possible and was not going to profit from the scare which is why he had no 22 in stock. He said he refused to buy at the current prices and would wait till the prices came back down.

Good to see someone with some common sense and supporting the shooters. This is why I no longer deal with the LGS, yes Guptons of Henderson I am talking to you, and travel 40 miles to another one.

BubbaJon
06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow - that was a find. Here in Austin I told the LGS that they should list everything that was left and put in on their special order list since it wasn't gone. I was being serious too! I'm fortunate that I have a local that works the gunshows and sells locally so I've been able to keep my powder stocked. 22 is problematic.

Pilgrim
06-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Sampled the Spokane, WA gunshow this AM . I stopped in to visit with Shuz (he was sharing a table with a friend) and to look see what was costing what. I found quite a bit of powder, and a fair number of primers although they were mostly scattered throughout the show. Primers were pretty much pegged at $40. Powders were in the $20 to $25 per pound. The biggest shock was the .22 LR ammo. It ran from $55 to $70 per 500 round brick! $60 seemed to be the median price. I left the show after 2 hrs feeling pretty sick emotionally with the absurd prices. Guns were pretty high, but some "deals" were available. Name brand .45's were in the $1000 plus range which is about where they have been for the past few years, while "unknown" brands were found in the $600 range. AR's were about where they have been the last couple of years as well. What was shocking to me were the prices on used S&W's. Those ran from around $700 on up. FWIW Pilgrim

jonp
06-08-2013, 07:57 PM
yes, I was surprised by the powder. I have plenty so decided to buy 1lb and let others get some but it sure was tempting to buy a few more. We talked about 22's and neither of us had.an answer. I bought several thousand before the scare and am keeping them on the shelf which is killing me as my single six is my favorite plinking gun

LittleBill
06-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Here in PA .22 LR has been as scarce as chicken lips, but if you bought and stocked over the years, it ain't a problem :wink: Powder and primers have been a little tight, but both seem to be coming back. Most of the shops I have walked into that sell that stuff have had it, even if they are restricting it to one pound and 1000 per visit. For as much as I have time to shoot, I can buy some every couple weeks and have plenty to keep me busy for a long time.

Cabela's has been the big surprise. They don't even have a shelf for primers anymore, although powder is starting to show up in quantity again. Most of it is stuff I don't use (and apparently no one else uses either), but they probably had 50 lbs on the shelf the other day. For a long time they didn't even have that. Centerfire ammo is showing up again, but the .22 LR shelf had nothing but CCI shorts, and the limit was 100 rounds.

Kermit2
06-09-2013, 05:58 AM
I stopped by Bass Pro while in town on errands. The reloading section was pretty barren, but there were six one pound cannisters of Unique on the shelf. That surprised me. I also saw a man buying some primers. The primers are kept behind the counter and you have to ask for them. I asked the man working the counter and he had small rifle and large pistol primers. I picked up 1,000 CCI large pistol primers. The primers cost $38.00 and I was pleased to see that they hadn't jacked the price way up like some people have. I also noted that they had a fair supply of .223 blastin' ammo. It was cheap FMJ stuff, but okay for practice. I took my primers and scurried home happy.

dondiego
06-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Stopped by Cabela's in Dundee Michigan yesterday. They had a whole shelf full of primers of all sizes and a pretty good selection of powder. Primers were $38 per K and powder was around $25 per lb. They only had CCI .22 shorts and longs. no LR. Plenty of Heters .223 and 7.62 x 39. The shelves were pretty well stocked with rifle ammo. There was some 9 MM. Limit of 5 boxes in combination. A month ago the shelves were bare.

Randy C
06-09-2013, 08:47 PM
We drove to WalMart in Minot ND and they had primers small and large rifle no pistol primers.

wlc
06-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Was able to pick up a pound of Unique and a pound of 2400 yesterday at a local store. First of those I've seen in months. Now if somebody will just get in some Trail Boss I'll be set for a while.

Primers are still pretty scarce and finding 22lr is like finding hens teeth. I've got enough 22 to do for a while though. I've bought it regularly for years whether I needed it or not. Do wish the primers would start showing back up. I'm lightest on those.