PDA

View Full Version : Camp Atterbury

Boz330
06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I just got back from a long range ML match at Camp Atterbury. Our own 451 Pete was the match director and is much appreciated for dealing with the hassle getting civilians onto the post ranges for the competitions. Hopefully he will jump in with the results when he gets time. He is pretty busy for the next week with the spring nationals.
This is only my second Long Range match along with a mid range match a couple weeks back. Unfortunately I shoot with 3 guys that are on the international team this year and the bar is too damned high for a newby. Having said that though I'm sure they have saved me much grief and frustration. I was able to go to school from their mistakes in the technical reloading aspects of the discipline. There is a lot of stuff to keep up with while shooting and I'm sure not good at that. It is like a lot of pursuits though you build on it one at a time and add them as you get comfortable.
It kills me when my long time shooting and hunting buddy pulls one out in the 8 ring and gets upset. All I'm trying to do is keep all the shots on the target at 800, 900, and a 1000yds. I judge my progress on how many misses (of the whole target) that I don't have. My best distance was 900 when I had only one miss and ended up with a 75 out of 100. Had 3 misses at 800 and 3 at 1000.
The problem at Atterbury is that there is no backstop to the targets and it is very difficult to figure out where your misses go.
For you guys out there that have the Gibbs rifles and access to competition you should give it a try. I would start at the mid range level, 300, 500, 600yds, if you can though. It is easier to get a handle on things in a little closer. There is a lot of self satisfaction though when you land some good hits.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
06-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Bob the Gibbs is in the truck, and will be headed to Friendship in a few minuites. If I leave the flint smooth bore alone long enough I will send a few down range.

missionary5155
06-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Greetings
You guys have fun ! Nutten like gettingtogether with some smoke pole shooters and enjoying the day. I think it has been 5 years now since I got to Friendship. I can smell the wood burning and see the heavy kettles hanging.
Mike in Peru

Boerrancher
06-09-2013, 07:16 AM
I have spent many hours on the ranges at Camp Atterburry but I didn't have the pleasure of shooting muzzleloaders. As busy as I was trying to get 200+ men ready to deploy oversees, I still made time to explore the area around post. Had the Army not retired me after my injuries, I was going to return to Atterburry as an instructor. One of these days I will have to head back if nothing else just to watch one of the matches, and visit a few old haunts.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boyscout
06-09-2013, 08:03 AM
I used to hunt the military side of Atterbury during Archery seasons before 9/11. It was one of my favorite places to hunt. It wasn't unusual to see 20+ deer a day near my stand sometimes all at the same time!

Boz330
06-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I have spent many hours on the ranges at Camp Atterburry but I didn't have the pleasure of shooting muzzleloaders. As busy as I was trying to get 200+ men ready to deploy oversees, I still made time to explore the area around post. Had the Army not retired me after my injuries, I was going to return to Atterburry as an instructor. One of these days I will have to head back if nothing else just to watch one of the matches, and visit a few old haunts.

Best wishes,

Joe

The Bar-B-Q joint is still there and really good eatin.
The A-10 Warthogs were working out back behind the ranges to the west. The sound that 30MM Gatling Gun makes when they cut loose is truly something to behold. I was wondering what they used for targets and found out that all of the FEMA trailers that are sitting around the post are hauled out to the ranges for targets. I doubt there is anything even left to scrap after a burst from one of those guns.
Last year when we went out there for the matches there were lots of GIs around. Kind of reminded me of Ft Knox during the Viet Nam War. This year it was pretty deserted looking. I guess things are winding down now that we are pulling out of Afghanistan, or the sequester is in full effect. I guess the CIC thinks that intense training of troops headed into combat is a waste of money.

Bob