PDA

View Full Version : first time case annealing

kbstenberg
06-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I read some posts on annealing and tried my hand at it tonight. And I need some advice.
I made a jig to hold the case in a specific spot in the flame of my torch. I held the case in a deep well socket and put a 6" extension in the socket that I held and rotated.
I never did see a case neck turn red (which I read is too hot). What I did have happen consistently is the neck would turn blueish (sp) and the blueish color would move through the shoulder and then down the case. I only let 1 case let the blue discoloration get more than 1/4" below the shoulder. Most of the time I only let the discoloration go to the bottom of the shoulder.
Is that the proper way to anneal? Or should I change something I am doing?
If it is important I was annealing 223 brass necked up to 7mm for the 7TCU. The reason I annealed the cases was that the cases were consistently sooty on the necks after being shot. An I had read that that was an indicator that cases needed annealing. Kevin

grampa243
06-06-2013, 11:20 PM
i would say you did good. test fire some to see if it helped.

Von Gruff
06-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Yep, you got it just right. Another reason for the sooty necks can be a lack of pressure to eficiently expand the neck on firing. What are your load like?

kbstenberg
06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
VG 223 brass necked to 7mm - NOE 7mm hunter mold (approx. 150 gr) - powder BLC2 23gr to 27gr (1500fps to 1900fps) - Tula SRP - Alum. GC - FWFL . All loads gave excellent accuracy at 100 Yards. Kevin

pdawg_shooter
06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I have good luck using 750º lead.

Pb Burner
06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
pdawg shooter, When using molten lead, do you just dip the case mouth into the lead? Hold the case with pliers? How deep do you put the case into the lead, and for how long?
Burner

pdawg_shooter
06-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Just the neck. Hold them with bare fingers. Time the first couple to see how long it takes to get to hot to hold. Subtract 5 from that count, and do the rest the same time.

smoked turkey
06-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Your annealing process is what works for me with the slow rotation in the torch flame until you see the blue color just start down the case below the neck. I have put the cases immediately on a wet towel and also dropped them in water and can't see much difference in the completed case.