PDA

View Full Version : Range Bag?

DeanoBeanCounter
09-23-2007, 08:49 AM
[smilie=1: Don't know if this has ever been asked before. What do you use for a range bag? Don't be shy now! Do you have one of those specially made bags purchased at a sporting goods store? Do you use a plastic grocery bag? Paper grocery bag? A suit case? Gun case? Anything? Nothing? Come now, you've got to use something. :violin:
I'll even start the ball rolling. I use a tote bag given to me by a medical trials outfit. So if I seem strange, that's why. [smilie=w:
If you don't answer, well call you ........................ well ............ something anyway. :Fire:

Deano
:drinks:

trooperdan
09-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, a while back I saw that Wally World was selling a little tool pouch made by RubberMaid. It has a central compartment with two separate zipped places. I got about four of them, one for each of my different Glocks, Ammo goes in the big place, pistol in one side and spare mags in the other. Not sure if those are still available. Maybe I can post a pic later.

dragonrider
09-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I use two medium size tool bags.

standles
09-23-2007, 09:27 AM
50 cal ammo cans and a tool box from harbor freight

pumpguy
09-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Wenger laptop computer backpack from Sams. Used to use the one that I carry my laptop in. One trip through the TSA with a forgotten .357 case inspired me to buy one specifically for the range!!

JSH
09-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Range bag, I picked up a couple of heavy duty denier bags a couple of years ago to pack ammo in.
If you are talking cleaning tools and such that is a whole different story. I bought one of those flip top storage boxes that the lids inter lock. I have most all the common tools that one would need for a range trip, full set of pin punches, small hammer, assorted screw driver set, cleaning rod, patches, lube etc. I also keep targets, spotting scope and stand, stapler and staples, safety glasses, small first aid kit, baby wipes paper towels. You pretty much name it and I keep it in there. I try not take anything out so I will always have it when a range trip comes up. I am not to far from there, 20 minutes one way, but that will burn a lot of time to run and get a screw driver. Let alone me kicking myself all the wya home and back, get so flustered that I don't shoot well.
The price gas is now this "kit" has payed for itself many times over.
Jeff

ktw
09-23-2007, 10:18 AM
I have been using one of the stanley rolling toolboxes

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ROLLING+WORK&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=18602&SDesc=Mobile+Tool+Center

It's convenient. It's plastic. It was cheap.

I would like to replace it someday with something metal and with larger wheels.

-ktw

Junior1942
09-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I use an MTM box. I keep it in the back of my truck, and the sandbags, etc., inside it have never gotten wet.

NVcurmudgeon
09-23-2007, 12:09 PM
An excellent homemade version of a bullseye shooter's pistol box. It was made for me by my late father-in-law and great friend who taught me how to cast GOOD boolits. It holds all the range junk; tools, cleaning, ears, shooting glasses, targets, spotting scope, etc. and even has room for a pistol. I have added a mount for the spotting scope. Ammo goes in a small tool box, with the top tray used for range pickup brass.

Jon K
09-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I have had several of the various boxes, w/cradle,MTM, Plano, Cabelas, etc. Still haven't found one I'm happy with. Soooo, I use my kid's old school backpack, he was throwing away because "that was last year's" and Dry Storage Box from Cabelas- came with .22 ammo special offer.
I will probably buy another Range Shooting Box, and sell it when it doesn't work out, till I find one I like. I have also been eyeballing the canvas tool bags guys are using, since the backpack is about 10 years old now.

Jon

Rick N Bama
09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I have one of those canvas "Journeyman's" tool bags I use to carry pistols, etc. My ammo goes into an Allen shooting bag I found at Wally World. I blought a "Dry Box" at Wally not long ago for 22 ammo & it's great for that purpose.

Rick

Duckiller
09-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Plastic milk cases work great. Aren't for sale but homeless have them. I get them after they wash down various rivers, advantage of working for a Flood Control District. Down side is they hold more than I want to lift anymore. Sons (27 &29) and their friends load the truck and unload at range.

MT Gianni
09-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I have had several of the various boxes, w/cradle,MTM, Plano, Cabelas, etc. Still haven't found one I'm happy with. Soooo, I use my kid's old school backpack, he was throwing away because "that was last year's" and Dry Storage Box from Cabelas- came with .22 ammo special offer.
I will probably buy another Range Shooting Box, and sell it when it doesn't work out, till I find one I like. I have also been eyeballing the canvas tool bags guys are using, since the backpack is about 10 years old now.

Jon

Get to a Goodwill store in early Joune and you will have your pick of good conditioned "School Backpacs" for $2 each. Gianni

SharpsShooter
09-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Big wood shooting box with hinged lid. It handles all the ammo, cleaning supplies and tools generally needed for a long day at the range. If I'm just gong for a short time, I use a camera bag with lots of side pockets to take along the bare essentials.

SS

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Wooden version of a Pachmyr Bullseye box with flip up lid and scope (which I hardly ever use) for bullseye type shoots

Gun cart for cowboy matches

used to use and MTM box for bench, etc until the handle broke, still have it, but never got around to repairing it, now use various tool boxed, one plastic one set up for cleaning gera with calibre specific little plastic flip top lid trays with dividers for the brushes/jags, etc.

Small tote bag for shotgun range, few spare boxes of shells, bottle of water and spare chokes in the front pocket.

Sometimes use a backpack style folding chair with a bag slung underneath it for military service /hi power shoots where I have to move about and carry and wait between ranges.

generally carry too much junk.

RU shooter
09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
My 12 yr old's backpack from last yr. as we all know they can only be used for 1 school yr!!!!!!!!!!

Johnch
09-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I use 50 cal cans and a customized tool box and plastic bags in a 5 gallon bucket for brass
Nothing to raise a eyebrow with the do gooders
I just have to hide the rifle cases

As many times I go to the range straight from work

Did have 1 guy ask where to get the ammo cans for his tools
He realized what the 40 S&W label ment

John

Kraschenbirn
09-23-2007, 09:09 PM
My main bag is always one of the old blue Dillon Range bags...I've got actually got two...for spotting scope, targets, tools, etc. and one of the smaller Dillon "Border Shift" bags for ammo. I've had these bags for almost twenty years and, outside of some oil and powder stains, they're almost like new...just can't seem to wear 'em out.

longhorn
09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Various plastic toolboxes. One for BPCR, one for CAS, one for pistol plinking, one for rifle plinking, another with "load development" tools (chrono, working pen, etc.). None is exactly the right size, of course, but at least they're cheap.

ebner glocken
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Several years ago walmart had a bin of canvas duffle bags that was a closeout for 50 cents. I bought several and am currently wearing out my last one. I figure for around 3 bucks I have been in range bags for the last 10 years.

mike in co
09-23-2007, 11:28 PM
bags he said ??? do we got bags...
simple grocery cloth style bags have my nra action pistol and another has my 9x21 ipsc pistol( yes i still shoot..it too much brass to not shoot it), a small leather bag has a scoped 44 mag srh , speed loaders and spare scope, another camo shopping bag has a cz 97 45acp, a backpack has shotgun ammo and stuff for three gun shooting, another cloth shoping bag a makarov , ammo and mags. i have one large leather range bag i use when doing multiple things like load development, sighting in, chrono work.

rifles may go wrapped in a towel or blanket, or in the case of the br guns, starlite hard cases.

when i get back on my feet i'll get another pelican short case for an ar-15( taken down with scope mags, bipod, sling, and spares.

just depends.....

mike

Crash_Corrigan
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Usually the above and a 5 gal plastic bucket for empties. I usually go through a 30 cal can of .45's in a couple of hours. If it is hot then we lug along a cooler of gatorade and a snack or two. A friend with more money than brains gave me a Dillon bag last year that he had shot over and it had some blasting GSR on the top. Of course that wouldn't do so he gave it to me. This is the same guy who gave me a complete Dillon 550 B press so I cannot complain. It works, the price is right and nobody has to know. I keep him in 45 LC's for a pittance and he is happy. He had bought one of those new smaller Ruger Vaqueros and he is love with it. It is a nice revolter. :Fire:

Bret4207
09-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Front seat of the truck over flowing into bed of truck. Thats one of the benefits of wning your own range (sandpit). I haven't shot at a public range more than 5 times in 25 years.

RBak
09-25-2007, 10:39 AM
5 gal. buckets are hard to beat, whether shooting or fishing.:???:

Russ...

armoredman
09-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I happen to like the Natural Gear camoflauge, as it seems perfect for the scrub desert area I live in. It also happens to sell cheap at Wal Mart, which I can't argue with. So, a few years ago, I was looking at Wallie World, when they were closing out the camping stuff, and found this Field Line bag. It hold many reloads, a couple of pistols, targets, tape, cleaning kit, etc, with shoulder strap and handle. Originally it even had a red light attached to the interior zippered stormflap. That died about 2 months after I bought it...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/rangebag1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/rangebag2.jpg

...on clearance, brand new, $2.

robertbank
09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Well Santa broke down a few years back and got me a Shooter's Connection range bag. Like it? You bet! This is the real thing not the Vietamese knockoffs some sell. That said the bag, while designed in the US, was made in India. all metal clasps, heavy zippers, large pockets etc. Designed by a shooter for shooters. Bought when our dollar was 66 cents US so it was a tad expensive at the time. Now our dollar is at or near par so price for Canucks is not an issue. For pistol shooters who require a decent range bag this has to top anyones wish list.

Take Care

Bob

Frank46
09-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Isued to use a wal mart fishing type bag. But got tired of stuffing in all the stuff I thought was going to be used. That got old real quick. Just last year the old bag was replaced by a medium large tool bag likw what they sell at home depot. Holds a lot and can stuff a few extra pistols or wheel guns in with extra ammo no problem. As far as when I'm shooting rifles, well thats a whole nuther matter. I have a small plastic suitcase that once held instruments. after gutting the case mu ammo,any small tools, spotting scope, stapler and spare staples, and targets. The rest, sandbags get thrown in the back of the truck along with a sears stool I bought some years back for about 30 bucks. Its height is adjustable and can hold me up (300lbplus) and whatever junk we are carrying that day.I've had the instrument case for about 25 years and its still going strong. Course there is the old standby The Long Island tool box. A generic 5 gallon plastic pail. Frank

BruceB
09-27-2007, 10:20 AM
My "range bag" says "GMC" on the front, has a wheel under each corner, and carries literally a TON of gear. Last count (AFTER removing all the stuff from the Nevada CB Shoot shindig) was over 1,000 rounds of ammo aboard....I need to build more shelves in there.

fourarmed
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm with Bruce B. I used a Dodge Grand Caravan until recently, when a young coed decided to make a U-turn from the right-hand lane in front of me. I'm looking for a replacement. It has to be big to handle all those totes, gun cases, tool boxes, and ice chests (for the ammo, don't you know).

Pilgrim
09-27-2007, 03:31 PM
I take three bags. One is a "flight bag" that is hard sided about 9" x 18" tall x 24" long. That case carries my tools, targets, hearing protectors, misc other "stuff". The second is an MTM "tool box" that also doubles as a base for an MTM cleaning cradle. In that box are electronic ear muffs, spotting scope & tripod, plus various small tools and other "gotta have stuff", including the cleaning cradle that contains gun cleaning "stuff". The "gotta have stuff" in both bags take care of stuck cases, separated cases, adjusting sights, gun repairs/adjustments, target repairs, etc. The third is a canvas grocery type bag. In that one I put my ammo, & sometimes pistols. Those three items are always packed and ready to go. They are never used for anything else. That is the only way I'm not gonna forget some essential. Pilgrim